Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Iiro Pakarinen

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just yesterday Fleming said he was the most NHL ready D man on the team.

Gregor did say that when he answered that question it wasn't with the same confidence as Pakarinen.

The key is just because he's the most NHL ready doesn't mean he's an NHL player yet.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That's great to hear considering that it seems every article seems to bash him in some way. I actually googled what you said and found an interview. I guess he's getting better.

Weird I've never heard anything about him struggling outside of HF posters looking at his boxcar stats. Dominant was the word the Nelson used to describe him when he first sent down. There was a huge article on the oilers main page a couple of weeks ago about how great he's been in OKC and how OKC really started to dominate immediately when he was sent down.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=749743

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Weird I've never heard anything about him struggling outside of HF posters looking at his boxcar stats. Dominant was the word the Nelson used to describe him when he first sent down. There was a huge article on the oilers main page a couple of weeks ago about how great he's been in OKC and how OKC really started to dominate immediately when he was sent down.

That was also months ago, things change. Flemming has pointed out things he wants out of Marincin as well

As for the Oilers website, they pump every single propsect at some time.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
So where did this guy come from? He was not even on my radar until he was called up seemingly out of nowhere earlier this year. Granted I haven't had time to follow our minor-league players much in the last couple of years. Just surprised that he's gone from never-heard-of (for me) to first-line-call-up. :)

Last edited:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I think Hall should sit for the rest of the season and get his leg back in order - he hasn't had near the same speed he had last season.

Pakarinen should just stay up and we can cross our fingers PooPoo comes back because IMO him and Roy are the two that stir the drink the most in our top 6.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
So where did this guy come from? He was not even on my radar until he was called up seemingly out of nowhere earlier this year. Granted I haven't had time to follow our minor-league players much in the last couple of years. Just surprised that he's gone from never-heard-of (for me) to first-line-call-up. :)

He was a 7th round pick by Florida in 2011. Never signed with them. Had a pretty good year in Finland last year, and got signed to an ELC here in the offseason.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
He had the skill last time around, just not the sense just yet. Maybe the better part of half a season over here has helped in that regard.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was a 7th round pick by Florida in 2011. Never signed with them. Had a pretty good year in Finland last year, and got signed to an ELC here in the offseason.

My question is who the heck found the guy? Not that he's proven much of anything at this point, but he does look like a guy that was worth the contract

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
My question is who the heck found the guy? Not that he's proven much of anything at this point, but he does look like a guy that was worth the contract
I agree I think he has real NHL potential. He's always been a pure goal scorer and a shoot first guy which I love and we desperately need. He has the most shots on the barons by a decent margin right now. If he can translate his game to this level and continue to develop his physical game he could be a very good third liner.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I agree I think he has real NHL potential. He's always been a pure goal scorer and a shoot first guy which I love and we desperately need. He has the most shots on the barons by a decent margin right now. If he can translate his game to this level and continue to develop his physical game he could be a very good third liner.

Iiro Tikkanen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

well there was this one http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-finished-as-a-member-of-the-edmonton-oilers/

and I seem to recall generally having this sentiment from various bloggers out there

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wouldn't mind calling up Marincin just to pull him away from the Barons. Things aren't working for him there. Klefbom struggled for the Barons too. Marincin can be the 7th D for the Oil and can practice with the team. I swear there's something going on with Marincin that we don't know about, and the people in charge don't want to talk about it.

Klefbom struggled in OKC?? He was tearing the league apart while he was a Baron.

Very happy to see Pak get the call, really liked the way he played last time up. The team needs more players like him.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
well there was this one http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-finished-as-a-member-of-the-edmonton-oilers/

and I seem to recall generally having this sentiment from various bloggers out there

I wouldn't read too much into that article. It's not very good. There are a lot more than two reasons for why Marincin hasn't been called up, and if Marincin is struggling this season, it sure doesn't mean he's done as a player.

Whomever wrote the article knows more about looking for stats than the players on our team.

I've been down on 'The Cult of Hockey' lately. They make sweeping generalizations that often seem to be stated to drum up conversation more than be insightful and sound.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I wouldn't read too much into that article. It's not very good. There are a lot more than two reasons for why Marincin hasn't been called up, and if Marincin is struggling this season, it sure doesn't mean he's done as a player.

Whomever wrote the article knows more about looking for stats than the players on our team.

I've been down on 'The Cult of Hockey' lately. They make sweeping generalizations that often seem to be stated to drum up conversation more than be insightful and sound.

Wife worked as a copy editor calgary sun; editor in smaller sun chain papers.
allways told to write content to a grade 5 level.
If you are not questioning the level of content then.
Ah! Yeah!

What was that game show?
Are you smarter than a ..................

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Klefbom struggled in OKC?? He was tearing the league apart while he was a Baron.

Very happy to see Pak get the call, really liked the way he played last time up. The team needs more players like him.

Ya, had a wicked start. I'm still hoping the best for Marincin. That said, good work on the farm should be rewarded too.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He's probably referring to last year, where Klefa's stats didn't look great, but those actually watching had good things to say about him.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
He's probably referring to last year, where Klefa's stats didn't look great, but those actually watching had good things to say about him.

Sorry but that's not the case at all. I watched approximately 20 of OKC's games last year and he was the worst defenseman on the team more often than not. I distinctly remember OKC fans sharing the same sentiment. His success has certainly come as a surprise for me this year.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Matti Virmanen

Former Jokerit GM, scout with the Oilers since 2010, most likely behind signing Finns like Joensuu, Petrell, Tyrvainen...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He mirrored the energy and intensity of his teammates. Which you can hardly blame him for.

15 minutes played
1 shot
6 hits
Did he look like he belonged in NHL or overwhelmed? Not sure about mirroring teammates. We would be a scary team if everyone threw 6 hits :)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Did he look like he belonged in NHL or overwhelmed? Not sure about mirroring teammates. We would be a scary team if everyone threw 6 hits :)

Both. Overwhelmed for a good portion of the game as Eberle and RNH were playing in tandem, and he couldn't figure out their specialized cycle which I explained in another thread. Basically, they cycle on the half boards with no expectation to go to the net.

He was behind the his line mates quite a bit, which is a bit worrisome considering RNH and Eberle were behind the play as well.

In the third period, he settled down a bit. Intercepted a pass, but couldn't handle it well enough to do anything with it. Got into some scoring areas, but the Penguins' smothering defensive play was just too much for anything to come of it.

He finishes his checks, which is great, but I don't see him as a fit with those two players. Only Hall knows how to play with RNH and Ebs together, which is disheartening as that group isn't very productive anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad