Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Cooper Marody

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well from what I seen, he was outta place many times in the 3 games I just seen.
When is he gonna start making plays then? When he played for Finland, he was unreal. Maybe you are right, Todd is ruining him. I’m sick of his blender bs. He had Puju playing the 4th line halfway thru the 1st period. He is a top 6 player and needs to be in the top 6. I sure wish he would get that shot off. I still want Rieder—Drai-Puju

Thats the problem...Jesse has a skill set that screams top 6 but he thinks the game like a bottom 6 player or worse.
I dont blame Todd at all for how Jesse has been handled. Jesse is a very tough player to slot into the lineup.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Jesse has a skill set that screams top 6 but he thinks the game like a bottom 6 player or worse.
I think this is the key right here. We have all seen Pulj do amazing stuff but also things that makes us cringe. With that in mind it should be fairly simple to solve. Give the player easy un-complicated instructions that makes good use of his offensive abilities without loosing out defensivly.

Don't force him in to a system he does not understand. I guess the staff is sub par when it comes to teaching players who lack the language. Saw the same with Yak.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this is the key right here. We have all seen Pulj do amazing stuff but also things that makes us cringe. With that in mind it should be fairly simple to solve. Give the player easy un-complicated instructions that makes good use of his offensive abilities without loosing out defensivly.

I am not so sure its that simple to solve though. If this truly is a hockey IQ issue then its going to be challenging to change.
Your suggestion might well work (and its worth a try) but I think that would be best tried in the AHL.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
This is how a young player coming in should be playing, I was pretty impressed with him and he seemed to do so many things right, immediately obvious he's got more skill that Poolparty right now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is how a young player coming in should be playing, I was pretty impressed with him and he seemed to do so many things right, immediately obvious he's got more skill that Poolparty right now.

He's a good example of why I think it's a mistake to overlook a player because they only have average or above average skating.

A high IQ player with average skating will play "faster" than a player with elite skating who can only think the game at half the speed they can skate(I'm not saying that's exactly Puljujarvi, but he seems to be trending that way), IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's a good example of why I think it's a mistake to overlook a player because they only have average or above average skating.

A high IQ player with average skating will play "faster" than a player with elite skating who can only think the game at half the speed they can skate(I'm not saying that's exactly Puljujarvi, but he seems to be trending that way), IMO.
We've had Schremp, LD and Eberle as guys that had skating issues after being drafted. 2 of the 3 worked on it and made millions.

So even if it is a hurdle it's one you can overcome. Not sure that high hockey IQ is something you are going to learn all that easy.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Knowing Todd, hes going to Mcblender it up and put Marody on the top line at some point in the game because a player is trying hard.

He should stay up, Kassian should be on waivers.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Thats the problem...Jesse has a skill set that screams top 6 but he thinks the game like a bottom 6 player or worse.
I dont blame Todd at all for how Jesse has been handled. Jesse is a very tough player to slot into the lineup.
I agree. I mentioned the word “hockey IQ” and fella said he hates the word. I’m hoping for Puju

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad