Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Cooper Marody

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
Anton Lander totally destroyed the AHL very time he went down there. Nice that the kid gets a chance but do not expect much.

what an uniformed comment. would you be optimistic about any kid that is putting up numbers in the AHL coming up to the NHL? Lander was 25 and had been up and down but mostly up for the previous 3 years when he went back down and lit it up. Marody is 21 and has not played an NHL game. Comparing these players at this stage in their development is ridiculous.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
what an uniformed comment. would you be optimistic about any kid that is putting up numbers in the AHL coming up to the NHL? Lander was 25 and had been up and down but mostly up for the previous 3 years when he went back down and lit it up. Marody is 21 and has not played an NHL game. Comparing these players at this stage in their development is ridiculous.
I'm not sure it's a comparison as much as the poster saying not to expect much from a call-up just because he has success in the AHL...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Marody will be 22 in a couple of months. Lander had more than a ppg as a 22 year old. He also had a great playoff in his 21 year old season. Frankly he is a guy who I think was on the verge of becoming a very useful NHL'er when McLellan pretty much gave up on him.

The comparison is not ridiculous at all but the reality is that any comparison has a wide range for possible error. Just because Lander did not work out it does not mean Marody will not, but it is reasonable for people to be cautious.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Marody will be 22 in a couple of months. Lander had more than a ppg as a 22 year old. He also had a great playoff in his 21 year old season. Frankly he is a guy who I think was on the verge of becoming a very useful NHL'er when McLellan pretty much gave up on him.

The comparison is not ridiculous at all but the reality is that any comparison has a wide range for possible error.
He seemed like he might, but then just did nothing at the NHL level in the regular season except for kill penalties fairly well.

Also, it's brought up to be a bit of derisive comment about the call up, so the comparison might not be ridiculous, but it is largely unfair. Marody's start to his AHL season(career) has Clearly earned him this call up and deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Lander was always an adequate no.4 C. The thing for him is that he can earn 2 to 3 times what he'd get in the NHL (what, 800K), playing in the KHL.

As for Marody, his skating isn't great, but I actually like his hockey sense. Could be a useful player and they might as well give him a shot considering guys who are supposed to produce offence are doing precious little of that now. Additionally, Khaira is not looking like the same player he was last season. Competition for ice time is good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The comparison is not ridiculous at all but the reality is that any comparison has a wide range for possible error. Just because Lander did not work out it does not mean Marody will not, but it is reasonable for people to be cautious.

I see more pure skill in Marody while Lander was more of grinder IMO. I'm wondering if we might see something a bit more radical to get Drai going like:

Rieder-Marody-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi

Reactions: Cypress

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I see more pure skill in Marody while Lander was more of grinder IMO. I'm wondering if we might see something a bit more radical to get Drai going like:

Rieder-Marody-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi

Agreed, I think he'll have more opportunity to shine with Drai than playing on 1 of our 2 checking lines. Could see the reasoning for starting him lower though to keep the pressure/expectations off for now.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Monday's practice lines:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Yamamoto
Rieder - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Marody
Khaira - Brodziak - Chiasson/Kassian

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Garrison - Bouchard/Gravel

*per the Oilers website.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Monday's practice lines:

Lucic - Strome - Marody

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell

*per the Oilers website.

Isnt Gravel a lefty? Hopefully they replace Garrison with Gravel.

That aside I really like these lines and pairings. :nod:

Reactions: ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Monday's practice lines:

Lucic - Strome - Marody

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell

*per the Oilers website.

Full marks to the coaching staff for keeping that 2nd line together. As Guy said, if Gravel subs in it should be for Garrison and not Bouchard.

Reactions: nabob and ujju2

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Khaira should be on notice; Caggiula looked much better for the brief amount of time that he was healthy. I like JJ when he's on his game, but he's extremely lucky that TMac seems to trust him so much

Reactions: ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Khaira should be on notice; Caggiula looked much better for the brief amount of time that he was healthy. I like JJ when he's on his game, but he's extremely lucky that TMac seems to trust him so much

He started slowly last season as well. It sucks that we have so many slow starters on this team.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

What is Caggiula’s injury? He was starting to play good

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think a lot of these comments about not expecting much from AHL players has to do with that poster a few years back (I can’t remember who he was now) who argued with us for an entire summer that Mark Arcobello’s almost two points per game down there meant something. That thread got nasty and he didn’t quit until the season started and Arcobello got an opportunity to show him how wrong he was. Anytime someone brings up AHL points per game now many of us have flashbacks.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Isnt Gravel a lefty? Hopefully they replace Garrison with Gravel.

That aside I really like these lines and pairings. :nod:

If Garrison stays in, I think we found the new player that McLellan is being stubborn about.

Reactions: belair

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Garrison stays in, I think we found the new player that McLellan is being stubborn about.

Yeah...I strongly suspect thats not going to happen.

I am hoping that Bouchard gets more #1 PP time though.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

While the ages are similar, it should be noted that it wasn't until Lander's 3rd year a pro in North America and over 60 AHL games of experience that Lander started to hit that PPG rate in the AHL. He didn't immediately show well in the AHL like Marody is doing so far.

There are exceptions, but generally speaking when a prospect is immediately scoring points at a PPG rate or higher at the start of his AHL career that is a good sign. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be on the NHL fast track, but it likely means he's going to be too good for the AHL in less time than many people thought. Only time will tell if that will mean an NHL career or the purgatory of the AHL/NHL tweener where Lander put up shop.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Yeah...I strongly suspect thats not going to happen.

I am hoping that Bouchard gets more #1 PP time though.

I would hope so but McLellan is hard to read sometimes.

What we see is not necessarily what he sees.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
not completely sold on this kid yet, hopefully he proved me wrong. His offensive IQ got little bit of David Oliver. His skating is lot like Shaun Van Allen, who was the AHL star.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
While the ages are similar, it should be noted that it wasn't until Lander's 3rd year a pro in North America and over 60 AHL games of experience that Lander started to hit that PPG rate in the AHL. He didn't immediately show well in the AHL like Marody is doing so far.

There are exceptions, but generally speaking when a prospect is immediately scoring points at a PPG rate or higher at the start of his AHL career that is a good sign. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be on the NHL fast track, but it likely means he's going to be too good for the AHL in less time than many people thought. Only time will tell if that will mean an NHL career or the purgatory of the AHL/NHL tweener where Lander put up shop.

The poster I quoted specifically spoke of Lander being 25 before he took off in the AHL.

Lander's first year in NA, at age 20, was primarily in the NHL. The Barons that year never scored. So it is not at all surprising that in his short stint playing down the roster behind a bunch of vets that he did not hit a ppg in his 14 games. The year before that he put up excellent numbers in the SEL for a 19 year old. The only year he spent in the AHL where he did not produce was 2012-2013. This was a bit of a crazy year. He spent the first half of the AHL season in the #3 shut down playing behind Nugent-Hopkins and Arcobelo with a rotating set of wingers.

Marody's situation is very different. He is playing on the top line with talented two kids with prime offensive opportunities. He's not being asked to develop as a shutdown center like Lander was.

But none of this is intended to take away from Marody. I want him to succeed. I also think he has a fair bit of talent so I am optimistic.

Reactions: Digger12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad