Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Cooper Marody

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He looked smart and had some pretty surprising stick skills and offensive instinct in the preseason. But Pulju also convinced me he was going to the light the world on fire with his preseason performance so who really knows. Either way, excited to see what we got in Marody. Especially since he's our Pat Maroon consolation prize.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He looked smart and had some pretty surprising stick skills and offensive instinct in the preseason. But Pulju also convinced me he was going to the light the world on fire with his preseason performance so who really knows. Either way, excited to see what we got in Marody. Especially since he's our Pat Maroon consolation prize.
For what it's worth, playing well enough into his first year pro to find real success at the AHL level and earn a call up should be seen as a good sign.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For what it's worth, playing well enough into his first year pro to find real success at the AHL level and earn a call up should be seen as a good sign.

True and agreed. He's been lighting up the AHL which CAN be a good sign, you need to do that first before making any noise in the Bigs. But of course, that's just the bare minimum requirement, there's many who lit up the AHL and couldn't translate that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
True and agreed. He's been lighting up the AHL which CAN be a good sign, you need to do that first before making any noise in the Bigs. But of course, that's just the bare minimum requirement, there's many who lit up the AHL and couldn't translate that.
Absolutely, so I'm doing my best to curtail excitement, but as a rookie PRO that also strikes me as a good sign. I sincerely want him on the wing with Reider and Draisaitl, just to see what he can do there. Worst case, he doesn't fit.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely, so I'm doing my best to curtail excitement, but as a rookie PRO that also strikes me as a good sign. I sincerely want him on the wing with Reider and Draisaitl, just to see what he can do there. Worst case, he doesn't fit.

Not sure where I'd personally slot him in. I guess we can start off optimistic and get him in the top 6, but Tmacs mantra is supposed to be you earn your ice time etc etc..... until nothing works and everything is blended and sure why not move Pulju up or down or back up again etc etc.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even if it's only for a few games. He is still a pro rookie as you mention and him getting some NHL games will help him see what else he has to work on.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I think a lot of these comments about not expecting much from AHL players has to do with that poster a few years back (I can’t remember who he was now) who argued with us for an entire summer that Mark Arcobello’s almost two points per game down there meant something. That thread got nasty and he didn’t quit until the season started and Arcobello got an opportunity to show him how wrong he was. Anytime someone brings up AHL points per game now many of us have flashbacks.

Wasn't me, but I don't understand how you can say that Arcobello showed him he was wrong. He played the full next season and got 16 goals playing on 4 different teams. If Rattie had a 16 goal, 30 point season playing mostly 2nd/3rd line this year, i think everyone would be happy enough. They traded him for Derek Roy that year, who worked out well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wasn't me, but I don't understand how you can say that Arcobello showed him he was wrong. He played the full next season and got 16 goals playing on 4 different teams. If Rattie had a 16 goal, 30 point season playing mostly 2nd/3rd line this year, i think everyone would be happy enough. They traded him for Derek Roy that year, who worked out well.
Two different things. Rattie should get 16 goals and 30 assists playing with Connor McDavid. Because of the way our team is structured we’re going to need low cost players like him for years.

The guy I’m talking about thought Arcobello was ready to be a second line, line driver based on what he had done in the AHL. Clearly he wasn’t.

I’m not remotely trying to knock anybody coming out of the AHL. We need these players badly. I just think expectations need to be tempered because for most, they don’t end up being the same types of players in the NHL that they were in the minors.

Reactions: Throttlehead

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I was very impressed with his game lastnight. Good forechecker, disrupts the puck carrier without taking penalties, makes safe and simple plays, gets his shot off quick. His style of play reminds me of Mark Stone.

Deserves to stay here until he has a poor game/someone outplays him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was very impressed with his game lastnight. Good forechecker, disrupts the puck carrier without taking penalties, makes safe and simple plays, gets his shot off quick. His style of play reminds me of Mark Stone.

Deserves to stay here until he has a poor game/someone outplays him.
For sure, though it will get "interesting" when people get healthy

Reactions: ujju2

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Marody had a pretty good game, but I want to see if he can keep it up once the just-called-up adrenaline wears off before making any long range plans with him.

Eh, I'd still send him down unless he starts putting up some points up here. I'd rather him get huge minutes in the AHL than stay up here to play crap minutes with no talent on his line. He did good last night though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was at game and thought he played good. Puju should be sent down

Completely agree.
I posted in another thread that I question if Jesse is mentally strong enough to deal with a demotion to the AHL. He seems like a very high maintenance player emotionally.

Reactions: belair

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Completely agree.
I posted in another thread that I question if Jesse is mentally strong enough to deal with a demotion to the AHL. He seems like a very high maintenance player emotionally.
I had big hopes for him after pre-season. I was down on the glass taking pictures of the Oilers in warm up against Nashville and Puju has quite a shot. I just feel his IQ is not where it should be

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I had big hopes for him after pre-season. I was down on the glass taking pictures of the Oilers in warm up against Nashville and Puju has quite a shot. I just feel his IQ is not where it should be

Its a valid concern. I am not sure what the issue is with Jesse but I am convinced by virtue of his play that he is more to blame that the coach.
I really do think the AHL is the place for him right now but as i mentioned he doesnt appear to be very mentally tough so I am not sue how he would handle a demotion.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its a valid concern. I am not sure what the issue is with Jesse but I am convinced by virtue of his play that he is more to blame that the coach.
I really do think the AHL is the place for him right now but as i mentioned he doesnt appear to be very mentally tough so I am not sue how he would handle a demotion.

I wouldn't look at trading him so I'd do whatever is best for his long term development.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wouldn't look at trading him so I'd do whatever is best for his long term development.

I am hesitant to trade him as well. I want to see him succeed as an Oiler.
Although ever since the draft I have wondered what the Blue Jackets GM knew about Jesse that he avoided taking him.
That is intriguing to me.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I dont see anything wrong with the way he thinks the game, he has always been a playmaker. I think he is being over coached and afraid to make mistakes, and the result is he makes more mistakes.

These new phrases "hockey IQ" and "line driver" made up by pundits suck. :)

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I dont see anything wrong with the way he thinks the game, he has always been a playmaker. I think he is being over coached and afraid to make mistakes, and the result is he makes more mistakes.

These new phrases "hockey IQ" and "line driver" made up by pundits suck. :)
Well from what I seen, he was outta place many times in the 3 games I just seen.
When is he gonna start making plays then? When he played for Finland, he was unreal. Maybe you are right, Todd is ruining him. I’m sick of his blender bs. He had Puju playing the 4th line halfway thru the 1st period. He is a top 6 player and needs to be in the top 6. I sure wish he would get that shot off. I still want Rieder—Drai-Puju

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad