Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Condors (Reinhart, Ellis, Fayne, Oesterle, Lander, LaLeggia)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
LaLeggia was a Hobey Baker finalist. Was ranked in the top 10 for Oilers prospects. Won back to back Best Offensive+Defensive defenseman from 13-14 to 14-15. Won with U of Denver in 13/14.

Yep, that sums his college career up well.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
What's up with this black aces nickname the media has given them.. is that just what they call guys called up after their season is done?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What's up with this black aces nickname the media has given them.. is that just what they call guys called up after their season is done?

I believe the term goes back to the 1940s when Eddie Shore called guys the Black Aces. Long time phrase.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

black aces is the name players have always been called when they are basically on the practice squad. It is players who are extras.

my assumption has always been its an "aces up your sleeve" kind of reference. depth etc.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
LaLeggia was a Hobey Baker finalist. Was ranked in the top 10 for Oilers prospects. Won back to back Best Offensive+Defensive defenseman from 13-14 to 14-15. Won with U of Denver in 13/14.

Except hes not a LWer now and not a D he was drafted as. Still..kid propelled himself as one of the/if not top LWers in the Oilers prospect depth chart.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
black aces is the name players have always been called when they are basically on the practice squad. It is players who are extras.

my assumption has always been its an "aces up your sleeve" kind of reference. depth etc.

Ahh makes sense. Thanks oilinblood and duolos!

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Except hes not a LWer now and not a D he was drafted as. Still..kid propelled himself as one of the/if not top LWers in the Oilers prospect depth chart.

Calm down Taylor. Nothing beats a forward that can play in all zones.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Would much rather have Lander in the line up over DD. DD does literally nothing out there doesn't win face offs, doesn't create any offensive opportunities, doesn't pp, and doesn't pk. At the least Lander can take key faceoffs in our own zone and actually you know have a chance at winning it. Pk as well.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Would much rather have Lander in the line up over DD. DD does literally nothing out there doesn't win face offs, doesn't create any offensive opportunities, doesn't pp, and doesn't pk. At the least Lander can take key faceoffs in our own zone and actually you know have a chance at winning it. Pk as well.

To me this is a no brainer

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe Landy can work some final act magic before heading off to the Motherland.

He's supposed to have leadership qualities, hopefully that means he shows up. He'll be better than Desharnais, will win draws and maybe help the pk.

I'm a Lander fan, I really hope he gets what might be his last chance with us.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I never understood the Lander hate. He was fine as a 4th line center. Like others have said he is good on draws and good defensively. He doesn't score but we shouldn't be looking at the 4th line to be putting up points.

DD is only good at offense and even with that he isn't doing anything. He gets pushed around easily and isn't really providing anything. Depending what happens in game 5 maybe we sit DD for game 6.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
These are the callups i expected only Ellis And Laleggia are a surprise

Well depth in goal is important, especially to give Talbot a break in practice or if someone gets hurt.

Plus the options were Ellis or Gustafsson, so it's a pretty easy call. :laugh:

Laleggia has been very good at forward and good to just add depth on the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad