Pre-Game Talk: Oilers Rangers Saturday @ 11 -- Who Needs Whistles Anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Little concerned heading into this one. Still - Been playing much better in various ways:

1. Special teams are flying and the PK is a massive improvement, both in personnel and system
2. Goaltending is improved, not letting in the first shot of the game anymore, been steady enough
3. Team structure is improved, from d zone to breakout to zone entries to forecheck

Concerns however:

1. Playing from behind too much, and come from behind in 3 3rd periods
2. Bottom 6 have accounted for 1 goal in 4 games and the RNH line is not producing leaving 97,29 to account for the 5v5 offence and James Neal will go cold sooner or later
3. We suck in afternoon games.

Need to juggle that bottom 6 and get Chaisson and Archibald in there. Would like to see Chaisson replace P Russell and Archibald to replace Granlund. Cave can be farmed out.

Smith I think will get the start.

Good way to start the Thanksgiving weekend, with an 11 am game!

In the words of the Immortal Al from New Jersey, Who Needs Whistles Anyway - ****** PUNK!

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The good news is the Rangers are playing their first game since last Saturday so hopefully they're a little rusty. I'm excited to see Kakko play. The Rangers' special teams have started very strong like the Oilers', but they've also allowed a lot of shots in their first two games. A week of practice may help them in that regard Saturday, but look at their defense, it's going to be a high event game.

I hope the Oilers treat this game as a showcase game at MSG and show up hungry and flying tomorrow. Then again it is an afternoon game....so there's that.

Reactions: Fryzz and Aerrol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I suspect this will be a loss. A lot of the metrics that don't look good right now will eventually catch up to them.

However, they usually suck in matinees and I have been surprised by the wins this year... so they will play great win and go 5-0!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The positive part of the last two games is that Nuge’s line has been our best at EV and our 3rd line has cycled well and controlled the offensive zone time for the most part. Sure our 1st line and PP has scored most every goal...but that’s why they the top line.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Zibby and Bread man are pretty much automatic right now... important to keep them off the PP even if our PK is doing good
Hoping for some unusual suspects to score some (Jujhar, Haas, etc.)

Reactions: McClelland

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Oilers schedule is complete garbage this year. Way too many afternoon games.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I just hope we can get some scoring 5v5 from another line.

I love the success we’re having so far, but the PP isn’t going long to be this hot forever, and we’ve seen how far having only 1 productive 5v5 line gets you.

Really want to see a big game from the nuge line and the bottom 6. I hope they slot chiasson next to haas and Nygard, or maybe even put nygard back up with nuge and go with jurco haas chiasson. Something to get some scoring going on in the bottom 9.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hard to say how this one goes. I think NJ came out strong in that third period because they were desperate. NYR is 2-0, they may not be as desperate and could be rusty. Its weird that they havent played in a week.

Hopefully we have a better start. Would be nice to score first. Hopefully see the bottom 6 chip in.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Traditionally afternoon starts have been horrible for us. But I can't see how, after 7 days off, the Rangers hands and legs aren't complete garbage in the 1st period with the early start. Jump on them early and we will be fine.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Traditionally afternoon starts have been horrible for us. But I can't see how, after 7 days off, the Rangers hands and legs aren't complete garbage in the 1st period with the early start. Jump on them early and we will be fine.

Especially with us coming off of the game with the intensity that devil's game had.

I expect we should have a major tempo advantage in the first period. Hopefully we can capitalize.

Reactions: Mcjlockhart89

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Nursey is definitely going to have to shut-down that Zibby line.

This will be a tough one, but regardless if you told me we would be 4-1 after the first 5 games I'd be extremely happy with that. (Not saying we are going to lose)

We'll see what happens, probably our toughest test yet.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Am not really scared of Bread and Zibby since we have our own dynamic two

Worse case we play them head to head then let Nuge Neal eat up the Ranger rookies

Still though can see this another fire wagon 5-4 6-5 kind of game

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
A lot of the metrics that don't look good right now will eventually catch up to them.
Yup. Team looking like pretenders to me.
Only 1/4 of their wins was decisive, the rest is all coming from behind or being outplayed and managing to pull a win out of their ass.

I hope they boost my confidence in them in the next few games.

Pulju Propagandist

Jesse’s Bison
Jul 7, 2016
Good to great special teams can keep good teams afloat while their overall play is not up to par.

I kinda feel that's what happened against NJD. But if that's the same trend against NYR, I foresee a L.

The whole Oilers-matinee-voodoo thing comes into effect and that compounded with sub par play will be enough to sink us, even though our special teams are super tasty so far.

That said, positivity is what brings success in life, soooooo:

OILERS 5
NYR 3

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
Well, we are finding ways to win, but as a lot of people have mentioned some of the underlying numbers are not exactly great. I understand luck nearly plays a roll in every game. Think about last night with the oilers goal decision going their way, or hall hitting the crossbar in OT, even Klefbom hitting that one post. So many small things can shape a game. Special teams have been the biggest difference so far. We still have a lot of work to do with secondary scoring. Our d has been significantly better which has been a great improvement, but can they keep it up? Hard to be optimistic when Oilers fans are so mentally damaged over the past 10 years.

Reactions: joestevens29

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
7pm on a saturday, there's not many such perfect hockey evenings for me during the season. 2 more points would make it even better, so shake off the sloppy game against the Devils.

On a sidenote, I hope Smith starts and sports his sexy dark gear with our new alternates..

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We have had quite the array of start times this season (8pm, 8pm, 5pm, 5pm, 11am next) . Oh what I would do for a normal 7pm start time

Reactions: boredem and Coffey

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Are we actually starting to get favorable calls? I have noticed the hooks and holds on McDavid are getting called this year. Also that tying goal there is no way in hell it would have been called a goal last 3 years.

The Ken Holland Effect.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I feel like this is a game with all odds stacked against us.

1. Gotta lose some time
2. Rangers substantially improved their roster
3. They had a week off
4. Matinee game
5. Didn't deserve the last win

This should be a loss but this team has surprised me

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I feel like this is a game with all odds stacked against us.

1. Gotta lose some time
2. Rangers substantially improved their roster
3. They had a week off
4. Matinee game
5. Didn't deserve the last win

This should be a loss but this team has surprised me

We were suppose to lose yesterday. Which means it skips. We win tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad