Pre-Game Talk: Oilers Rangers Saturday @ 11 -- Who Needs Whistles Anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
giphy.gif

Reactions: oil4life97

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I am not sure why, but we have been looking good but I just can't shake my lack of faith.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I suspect this will be a loss. A lot of the metrics that don't look good right now will eventually catch up to them.

However, they usually suck in matinees and I have been surprised by the wins this year... so they will play great win and go 5-0!

Spot on I think. They can't play like they have been over an 82 game sample size and make playoffs. That being said, there are flashes of good and I like what I'm seeing out there. Just have to get the consistency in play and we have a shot at playoffs.

I feel like they're playing .500 hockey right now but getting a bit of luck. I'll take it but we need to play better if we want to do it.

Hopefully we have a good outing!

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Little concerned heading into this one. Still - Been playing much better in various ways:

1. Special teams are flying and the PK is a massive improvement, both in personnel and system
2. Goaltending is improved, not letting in the first shot of the game anymore, been steady enough
3. Team structure is improved, from d zone to breakout to zone entries to forecheck

Concerns however:

1. Playing from behind too much, been scored on 1st in each game and come from behind in 3 3rd periods
2. Bottom 6 have accounted for 1 goal in 4 games and the RNH line is not producing leaving 97,29 to account for the 5v5 offence and James Neal will go cold sooner or later
3. We suck in afternoon games.

Need to juggle that bottom 6 and get Chaisson and Archibald in there. Would like to see Chaisson replace P Russell and Archibald to replace Granlund. Cave can be farmed out.

Smith I think will get the start.

Good way to start the Thanksgiving weekend, with an 11 am game!

In the words of the Immortal Al from New Jersey, Who Needs Whistles Anyway - ****** PUNK!
Oilers scored the first goal against Vancouver and LA.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn’t we play the Rangers in a Saturday afternoon game in mid October last year as well? Hoping for a similar result.
That game saved Mclellan’s job for another 6 weeks. With both teams off to great starts nobody’s job is on the line tomorrow. Just a regular game with the Rangers coming off a long layoff. Hopefully the Oilers can take advantage of that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It always gets mentioned how bad the team is in early games but is there a stat anywhere showing the record to be notably worse in early games vs night games? The record in general the last 10 years is pretty poor and most early games for the Oilers are on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if there really isn't much difference.
This “bad in early games” thing goes back to the 80’s when those dominant teams couldn’t beat anybody in afternoon games, especially on the east coast (years later I think we can accurately speculate why that was). I don’t think they have been any worse in afternoon than other games in the last several years though.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Little concerned heading into this one. Still - Been playing much better in various ways:

1. Special teams are flying and the PK is a massive improvement, both in personnel and system
2. Goaltending is improved, not letting in the first shot of the game anymore, been steady enough
3. Team structure is improved, from d zone to breakout to zone entries to forecheck

Concerns however:

1. Playing from behind too much, been scored on 1st in each game and come from behind in 3 3rd periods
2. Bottom 6 have accounted for 1 goal in 4 games and the RNH line is not producing leaving 97,29 to account for the 5v5 offence and James Neal will go cold sooner or later
3. We suck in afternoon games.

Need to juggle that bottom 6 and get Chaisson and Archibald in there. Would like to see Chaisson replace P Russell and Archibald to replace Granlund. Cave can be farmed out.

Smith I think will get the start.

Good way to start the Thanksgiving weekend, with an 11 am game!

In the words of the Immortal Al from New Jersey, Who Needs Whistles Anyway - ****** PUNK!

Oilers scored first in both home games.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They have been coming from behind a lot despite scoring first in those games.
Its not a preferred strategy but the team is sure a lot more resilient than it was last season.
It's nice not having a team fold after a bad play or a let down.

Like giving up a shorthanded goal and then coming back almost instantly.

Smith's 2 freebies would of caused them to get down aswell.

Reactions: ErnieScar Brocket99

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's nice not having a team fold after a bad play or a let down.

Like giving up a shorthanded goal and then coming back almost instantly.

Smith's 2 freebies would of caused them to get down aswell.

Yeah...for sure.
Giving up a shorty is almost a sure recipe for a loss. Yet this team had a great response to that goal by scoring one of their own right away.

That Smith game was another perfect example. I mean giving the opposition 2 goals and still winning...that is very impressive.

All that being said I would much rather see the team get a lead and keep it. :nod:

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
4 games in and the bottom 6 has produced very little. Offensive zone pressure is great and all but goals still need to happen.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Quick story. I've started following a bit and I've watched no player interviews for a couple of years. I started watched Tippett interviews though and they're about all I watch right now. Sounds like a killer coach and I'm really liking what he has to say and how he "handles" the dumb ass media questions that are even worse now than when I stopped watching the friggin game. So Kudos to him for putting up with these goofs.

Good interview nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErnieScar Brocket99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad