News Article: Oiler's Prospect Pool Cannot Support Rebuilding

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
HF ranks Oilers prospect pool 18th

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...tem-remains-deep-despite-numerous-graduations

The team is still in the bottom 3 and realistically can improve to bottom 8 team if free agents are not added. Prospect pool lacks high end talent. In the coming draft after 1st pick we will pick in the fourth round.

Rebuilding seems to be in hazard. How we can improve if we do not have enough prospects who start challenge for the roster spots.

I think that next thing is to fire scouting staff or at least Stu MacBastard

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
WTH is this..

Last thing EDM needs is more prospects challenging for roster spots.. With all the young firepower we need veterans to surround the skill.. Our prospect pool is perfect for rebuild.. Let them ripe in AHL for a couple years and jump up into bottom 6 role on the main club.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This makes sense no.

Yes/No

My friend. I am really horrified what is ahead of us. Big club still lacks at least three high end pieces:

1. Top pairing defense man, which can be attain if we have prospects to use for the trade. UFA pool will not provide 1#dman this off season.
2. Second line center with size will be acquired this year draft
3. Top9 power forward can be acquired through the UFA market.

But if we look at our roster we have holes everywhere. Enforcer who can skate, 3rd line center(Boyd is elite 4th liner), 3rd line checking forward and at least defenseman who can play in the top4 another to play in the 3rd pairing. Entire 4th line.

These spots should be fulfilled at least partially with cheap entry level or breidge contract players...

How do you see the situation. How we can dig out of this.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
WTH is this..

Last thing EDM needs is more prospects challenging for roster spots.. With all the young firepower we need veterans to surround the skill.. Our prospect pool is perfect for rebuild.. Let them ripe in AHL for a couple years and jump up into bottom 6 role on the main club.

And we can not afford to get them all through the UFA market. We must have good prospects to trade for the veterans.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
You have to remember that most of these teams still have their 1st rounders from recent years in their prospect pools. Florida has Barkov from 2013 (not sure why he's still there), Matheson from 2012, and Howden from 2010. Phoenix has Gormley, Murphy, Visentin, Samuelsson, and Domi among 1st rounders. You get my drift.

The article does make a good point in that the Oilers are seriously lacking in forward prospects, but one of the main reasons for that is that their high draft picks from recent times are all playing in the NHL. I'd like to see more forward depth in the prospect pool though, for sure.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if we had a proper veteran team and got the picks we did we would have the #1 prospect pool no question, because our picks have been rushed into save the franchise we they have played over the minimum games and are no longer considered prospects even though RNH is 21 and yakupov is 20, hall 22.

lol tyler johnson who is up for ROY is 24, Palat is 23. imagine we broke taylor hall in at 23? hes played close to 250 games already. prospect pool listing are mongish and this thread is as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ummm I think a mod is going to have to change the title or delete this thread.

The article just lists the strengths and weaknesses of our prospects and is basically just an overall guesstimate more than anything else.

I love our group of prospects. Since we already have more high end talent than most teams in the NHL. The group of defenseman and depth forwards with size is exactly what this organization needs. The fact that it addreses the teams needs so well if anything suggest the scouting staff are doing their jobs.

The only area we are weak is RW and I think up until the traded Hemsky they figured this was their greatest strength on the club.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
And we can not afford to get them all through the UFA market. We must have good prospects to trade for the veterans.

We have good prospects.. They arent NHL ready but a few of them hold good trade value. Moroz, Khaira, Chase, Gernat, Musil and maybe even Klefbom could be used as trading chips if Marincin and Nurse prove themselves or if we draft Ekblad.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yes/No

My friend. I am really horrified what is ahead of us. Big club still lacks at least three high end pieces:

1. Top pairing defense man, which can be attain if we have prospects to use for the trade. UFA pool will not provide 1#dman this off season. We have 3 solid prospects that can all reach that level of ability. Nurse, Klef, Marin, and maybe Ekblad coming up. Plus some of other prospects could exceed expectations. Plus even if none of those become true #1 types a full group of top 4 that can share the load.

2. Second line center with size will be acquired this year draft. Still have a draft coming up plus, arco, lander, and hopefuly some options via trade.

3. Top9 power forward can be acquired through the UFA market. I actualy want to trade Gagner for Clarkson, when playing normally that is exactly what he is.

But if we look at our roster we have holes everywhere. Enforcer who can skate. Do we really need this?

, 3rd line center(Boyd is elite 4th liner) Wrong so wrong Boyd is a solid #3

, 3rd line checking forward. We have tons coming up from those prospects

and at least defenseman who can play in the top4 another to play in the 3rd pairing.We have tons coming up from those prospects

Entire 4th line. We have tons coming up from those prospects, plus Lander, Arco, Gazdic, Joensuu, Trade

These spots should be fulfilled at least partially with cheap entry level or breidge contract players...

How do you see the situation. How we can dig out of this.

You worry too much, and that's says a lot coming from me. Read bolded in your quote.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

1. Top pairing defense man, which can be attain if we have prospects to use for the trade. UFA pool will not provide 1#dman this off season. We have 3 solid prospects that can all reach that level of ability. Nurse, Klef, Marin, and maybe Ekblad coming up. Plus some of other prospects could exceed expectations. Plus even if none of those become true #1 types a full group of top 4 that can share the load.

The D prospects are good but anything but a sure thing and likely still several years away from being good enough to really help us.

2. Second line center with size will be acquired this year draft. Still have a draft coming up plus, arco, lander, and hopefuly some options via trade.

And this guy will be another 3 or 4 years from being any kind of impact player.

3. Top9 power forward can be acquired through the UFA market. I actualy want to trade Gagner for Clarkson, when playing normally that is exactly what he is.

This is WAY easier said than done, a power forward is not easily obtainable unless they have all kinds of warts.

But if we look at our roster we have holes everywhere. Enforcer who can skate. Do we really need this?

No, very very wrong so wrong. Boyd scored 8 goals last year and went something absurd like his last 53 games without scoring. A 3rd liner has to at least contribute a minimum to offense.

Yet again 3 to 4 years down the road.

and at least defenseman who can play in the top4 another to play in the 3rd pairing.We have tons coming up from those prospects

Entire 4th line. We have tons coming up from those prospects, plus Lander, Arco, Gazdic, Joensuu, Trade

We will do what we always do for 3rd, 4th liners, bring in the newest group of vets that are suspect, or has beens or over priced.

Your solution seems to be use the draft for all our holes which means another 2,3,4 years of out of the playoffs and is not the way successful teams jump a notch. You draft but you also have to add pieces via trade and significant fa's

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
If anything I've learned at HfBoards is the prospect team rankings have no bearing on the future of a team.

Edmonton always seemed to be top 10 through out all the 2000's and no team success ever came out of it.

I do get entertainment value out of it but that's all I take from it.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
If anything I've learned at HfBoards is the prospect team rankings have no bearing on the future of a team.

Edmonton always seemed to be top 10 through out all the 2000's and no team success ever came out of it.

I do get entertainment value out of it but that's all I take from it.

I dunno. I think 2006 showed that we were just an elite Dman away from competing. I think had Pronger stayed, we don't trade Matt Greene, Jarrett Stoll, Kyle Brodziak, Raffi Torres, and plenty of others would've stayed.

Despite that, our development has been terrible forever leading to just one draft pick outside the first round graduating to the NHL club in Jeff Petry. The only thing that's giving me optimism for this team now is the perception that OKC is doing something right with our prospects.

All the top teams, especially LA, Detroit, and Chicago, found lots of gems in the later rounds that became serviceable NHLers or better (imo that's mostly due to development but I give their scouts credit too). We have had none of that in nearly a decade and it shows.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This makes 0 sense.

Our high end skill went directly to the NHL. Thus they all "graduate" based on the HF standard for ranking prospects.

The rest of our high end prospects are defensemen who will take some time to develop.

Also, don't forget those "HF ratings" change almost every few months.

Remember Petr Prucha. He was a 6.5 i believe. Then scored a crapload of goals in his rookie season so his rating jumped to an 8.0 before he graduated. Too bad the first rating was more accurate. The point is that HF ratings are highly subjective and not very accurate.

Settle down people.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah no real surprise... our first overall picks and Jordan Eberle have masked that we are still arguably the worst franchise in the league at successfully drafting and developing legitimate contributing NHLers outside of the first round.

It's one of the reasons why I have little interest in Nelson as a coach on the big club. For all the praise he gets, we sure have a decent number of prospects who have good junior careers who get to the AHL and completely and entirely fall off the map.

This sort of thing should rightfully terrify Oiler fans. We can't sign good free agents and we never develop good prospects so we can never make trades for good players without creating holes anywhere else.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We're very very set on the left side in terms of blue liners. So set that we'll be forced to make some trades down the line.

We've got a couple of left wingers who're starting to look interesting.

Past that, we're nothing special.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The D prospects are good but anything but a sure thing and likely still several years away from being good enough to really help us.

And this guy will be another 3 or 4 years from being any kind of impact player.

This is WAY easier said than done, a power forward is not easily obtainable unless they have all kinds of warts.

No, very very wrong so wrong. Boyd scored 8 goals last year and went something absurd like his last 53 games without scoring. A 3rd liner has to at least contribute a minimum to offense.

Yet again 3 to 4 years down the road.

We will do what we always do for 3rd, 4th liners, bring in the newest group of vets that are suspect, or has beens or over priced.

Your solution seems to be use the draft for all our holes which means another 2,3,4 years of out of the playoffs and is not the way successful teams jump a notch. You draft but you also have to add pieces via trade and significant fa's

You'll notice I suggest trade as well but really teams do not trade away the things you are asking about.

I would say 3-4 years for most of our D-prospects and forwards as well but you can not sell the future for the present. Its a selling low and buying high. I don't generally accept managements excuses overall but the truth IMO is that the main ingredient to our success is primarily time... and a new coaching staff.

And it should only be a year or two before our prospects can aid us in scraping ourselves from the bottom of the league.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The reason we are going to be lower on these lists isn't because we have poor scouting. It's because we've picked so high for so many years now that our draft picks are already graduated. I bet all of the teams ahead of us have at least one top end prospect from the 2010, 2011, or 2012 drafts. Ours are in the NHL. There's the biggest difference. It's the same thing for Colorado.

Oct 15, 2008
The reason we are going to be lower on these lists isn't because we have poor scouting. It's because we've picked so high for so many years now that our draft picks are already graduated. I bet all of the teams ahead of us have at least one top end prospect from the 2010, 2011, or 2012 drafts. Ours are in the NHL. There's the biggest difference. It's the same thing for Colorado.

Our fist round picks graduate right away. Other team's first rounders percolate in the system for one, two, three or even four years.

That's mostly the difference right there. Nothing should be measured by an HF top prospects list anyway. Its good for driving discussion on the board but that's about it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Our fist round picks graduate right away. Other team's first rounders percolate in the system for one, two, three or even four years.

That's mostly the difference right there. Nothing should be measured by an HF top prospects list anyway. Its good for driving discussion on the board but that's about it.

Our picks graduated right away because they were good enough to and there was room for them on the team. If we had enough depth on our team that we could afford to send them to junior we probably wouldn't have been in the position of drafting those players in the first place.

And yes, HF's prospect/team ranking is pretty terrible so doesn't really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad