Proposal: Oilers | Panthers - Canadiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think anyone easily declines a McDavid trade.

Barkov at $10 mil for 6 more years is more valuable than McDavid at ~$15-16 mil long term.

Ya the extra 40-50 pts of McDavid over Barkov is nice but that extra ~$5 mil Florida saves can be spent on a player than can close that production difference.
Barkov plays way better defense as well so it's not as big of a gap between the two IMO.

Then you add the Nurse contract which is literal cancer, it's a pretty easy no for Zito and the Panthers.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
lol if this trade took place the Oilers would be charged with theft. The Habs will dangle Monahan at the trade deadline for the equivalent of a 1st round pick.
Ryan Mcleod?? LMFAO

Reactions: viceroy

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Barkov at $10 mil for 6 more years is more valuable than McDavid at ~$15-16 mil long term.

Ya the extra 40-50 pts of McDavid over Barkov is nice but that extra ~$5 mil Florida saves can be spent on a player than can close that production difference.
Barkov plays way better defense as well so it's not as big of a gap between the two IMO.

Then you add the Nurse contract which is literal cancer, it's a pretty easy no for Zito and the Panthers.

I am a huge fan of Barkov but I think you're being a bit disingenuous if you claim Barkov is better value than McDavid.

1. We don't know that McDavid's next contact is going to be in the $15-16 million range. As a Florida fan you're probably not aware that Chiarelli offered to pay McDavid more on his last contract and McDavid told him no, that is too much under our cap.

20-year-old Connor McDavid asked for less money in his new $100 million contract so the Oilers could build a better team around him

So will he ask for the max he can get? He didn't under the previous GM.

2. Nurse.. man this guy gets a lot of static from fans. He IS overpaid but that is entirely the fault of the Oilers bridging him twice and then allowing the market to get set before his big extension. You calling him cancer is really a brutal take. He plays top minutes for the Oilers and doesn't get hurt. The same definitely cannot be said for Ekblad (whom I like and wish Nurse was paid a similar amount).

No, I think if Florida had the chance to get McDavid they'd jump at it; fans opinions wouldn't count for very much. Ditto for 30 other GMs.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I'd take Nurse at 50%, otherwise that contract is toxic. He's a second pairing guy.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I am a huge fan of Barkov but I think you're being a bit disingenuous if you claim Barkov is better value than McDavid.

1. We don't know that McDavid's next contact is going to be in the $15-16 million range. As a Florida fan you're probably not aware that Chiarelli offered to pay McDavid more on his last contract and McDavid told him no, that is too much under our cap.

20-year-old Connor McDavid asked for less money in his new $100 million contract so the Oilers could build a better team around him

So will he ask for the max he can get? He didn't under the previous GM.

2. Nurse.. man this guy gets a lot of static from fans. He IS overpaid but that is entirely the fault of the Oilers bridging him twice and then allowing the market to get set before his big extension. You calling him cancer is really a brutal take. He plays top minutes for the Oilers and doesn't get hurt. The same definitely cannot be said for Ekblad (whom I like and wish Nurse was paid a similar amount).

No, I think if Florida had the chance to get McDavid they'd jump at it; fans opinions wouldn't count for very much. Ditto for 30 other GMs.

Barkov is locked up until around 35 years old.
McDavid will be paid until 38 years old on a 8 yr deal.
Also FLA has no security he signs but you'd strongly assume he would after a decade in Canadian media circus

1. Well even rough math of 16.6% on a $87.5 mil salary cap (could be more) is $14.5 mil and I'd be surprised if he only gets a $2 mill AAV raise to be honest. I think Drai is prime candidate for smashing through the $14 mil barrier and McDavid goes through the $15 mil barrier, the NHLPA will push them both hard to do so.

2. I didn't call HIM a cancer, called the contract a cancer and it is.
Florida is likely already committed to both Forsling and Montour who may combine for around $13 million total so there's no room for Nurse as well, even if Bob is off the books.

Barkov and Tkachuk are likely the only two players long term who are close to that $10 mil AAV. Zito is all about spreading the wealth and an expert negotiator in terms of value with contracts. Reinhart could be back but on a $8 mil AAV.
It doesn't make logical sense for us as good as McDavid is IMO.

Chicago seems like a great place with Bedard and they could offer some nice young blue chips if Oilers retool the end of this year or next?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Habs offer Oilers Monahan for cap dump like Ceci and unprotected first?

Brutal offer. Unprotected 1st. Geeez.

No one deals those anymore. and Monahan certainty doesn't merit this.

The Oilers *Could* use a better 3C than McLeod who isn't playing very well right now. He has wheels but at some point you have to put the puck in the net.

McLeod + Pick or Prospect ( Savoie?) for Monahan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Brutal offer. Unprotected 1st. Geeez.

No one deals those anymore. and Monahan certainty doesn't merit this.

The Oilers *Could* use a better 3C than McLeod who isn't playing very well right now. He has wheels but at some point you have to put the puck in the net.

McLeod + Pick or Prospect ( Savoie?) for Monahan.
Oilers first for Monahan is fair trade.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No it isn't. He's playing a 3C role and would do the same in Edmonton. You don't give up 1st round picks for pending UFA 3Cs.
Based on time on ice (and the eye test) he's actually playing 2C. And doing it with one of the best faceoff percentages in the league. Don't want to pay appropriate value fir him? Fine. Some one will (assuming MO treal has any interest in moving him.)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Based on time on ice (and the eye test) he's actually playing 2C. And doing it with one of the best faceoff percentages in the league. Don't want to pay appropriate value fir him? Fine. Some one will (assuming MO treal has any interest in moving him.)

I guess a deadline trade for a team right on the cusp of winning a cup who feels he is the missing piece might do it? I dunno. To me he is a good 3C. He'd definitely play that role in Edmonton, no chance he'd play any 2C ice time. So I have to value him that way.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I guess a deadline trade for a team right on the cusp of winning a cup who feels he is the missing piece might do it? I dunno. To me he is a good 3C. He'd definitely play that role in Edmonton, no chance he'd play any 2C ice time. So I have to value him that way.
What role he plays in Edmonton matters to what they might offer, but it's not a reflection of his value to other teams. If he's not big enough need to pay appropriate value, then look elsewhere for a lessor player that can be had for what you're willing to pay.

Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Still 3 Oilers scouts at tonight's Colombus game. They going to a lot of trouble following Habs around. Has to be big, Edmonton spending this much time on Montreal. Been this way for 3 weeks. Montembeault played last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad