Post-Game Talk: Oilers overcome all odds to win!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I am unretired. Hello
1653175693688.jpeg

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
I saw a list on quant hockey that if Conner hits 50 playoff points to be eligible he’d be 4th all time in points per playoff game. 1st among active players. Oh how things have changed

Reactions: La Bamba

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lawton and Co on SiriusXM NHL today were very complimentary of the Oilers, feel like they are legit. Critical of the Flames and feel like they are being exposed (I’m heavily paraphrasing these points but that’s the gist.) lots of praise for McDavid (of course), but also Hyman, Keith and Draisaitl (and the team in general). Said Calgary can’t have much confidence since the Oilers have shown they can come back from deficits

Another interesting tidbit was regarding the goaltending. Smith of course being spurned by the Flames adds an interesting element but Lawton really hammered home that Markstrom was going to be an Oiler, said he was going to be and then changed his mind at the absolute last minute. He think that has created some mental issues for the guy (doubt?) when he plays us and is part of why he looks worse vs the Oilers than a lot of other teams. Wonders if Oilers fans will return the favour of Bronx cheers for him in Edmonton. I think that might be part of it, but also Calgary D being exposed (they touched on that too) by Oilers speed is massive, of course

Markstrom can eat it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lawton and Co on SiriusXM NHL today were very complimentary of the Oilers, feel like they are legit. Critical of the Flames and feel like they are being exposed (I’m heavily paraphrasing these points but that’s the gist.) lots of praise for McDavid (of course), but also Hyman, Keith and Draisaitl (and the team in general). Said Calgary can’t have much confidence since the Oilers have shown they can come back from deficits

Another interesting tidbit was regarding the goaltending. Smith of course being spurned by the Flames adds an interesting element but Lawton really hammered home that Markstrom was going to be an Oiler, said he was going to be and then changed his mind at the absolute last minute. He think that has created some mental issues for the guy (doubt?) when he plays us and is part of why he looks worse vs the Oilers than a lot of other teams. Wonders if Oilers fans will return the favour of Bronx cheers for him in Edmonton. I think that might be part of it, but also Calgary D being exposed (they touched on that too) by Oilers speed is massive, of course

Markstrom can eat it.
So basically every game against the Oilers is some sort of self validation test for him.

Yeah, that’s a lot of self-induced added pressure.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
To put it this way I'm more stressed about Bouch's own zone play and its Keith out there playing with him and the goal light flashing and Keith going over all the time saying its Ok kid, you'll be fine. Bouch does better as the games go on. I'm sure Keith a big part of that.
It's incredible how much this team lives and dies with this pairing. The Oilers played their best hockey of the season (arguably their best hockey in decades) the last 3 or so weeks of the season right when the Keith-Bouchard pairing took off. The team has been a trainwreck when that pairing is struggling (Games 4 and 5 against L.A., Game 1, 1st period of Game 2 against Calgary) and they look like legit contenders when the pairing is playing well (Games 2,3,6,7 against L.A., periods 2 and 3 last night).

Obviously McDavid and Drai drive the team but the play of this pairing is absolutely crucial to their playoff chances. It kind of makes you even more frustrated with the Nurse contract knowing that his play, good or bad, isn't as crucial as the 2nd pairing and that the team actually played a great Game 6 with their backs against the wall without him.
He's been bad pretty much the entire playoffs (mainly due to injury) and was injured down the stretch yet the Oilers are making a run of it. For $9M+, you'd think that he would be more crucial to team success. Obviously they're a better team with a healthy Nurse long term but how much better does he make them is a legit question to ask.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So basically every game against the Oilers is some sort of self validation test for him.

Yeah, that’s a lot of self-induced added pressure.

Lots of Canucks fans seem to think he’s been overplayed as well (think @Drivesaitl pointed that out too). Mental game is everything for a goaltender. Hope our crowd gives him even more self-doubt and jitters. :crossfing

It's incredible how much this team lives and dies with this pairing. The Oilers played their best hockey of the season (arguably their best hockey in decades) the last 3 or so weeks of the season right when the Keith-Bouchard pairing took off. The team has been a trainwreck when that pairing is struggling (Games 4 and 5 against L.A., Game 1, 1st period of Game 2 against Calgary) and they look like legit contenders when the pairing is playing well (Games 2,3,6,7 against L.A., periods 2 and 3 last night).

Obviously McDavid and Drai drive the team but the play of this pairing is absolutely crucial to their playoff chances. It kind of makes you even more frustrated with the Nurse contract knowing that his play, good or bad, isn't as crucial as the 2nd pairing and that the team actually played a great Game 6 with their backs against the wall without him.
He's been bad pretty much the entire playoffs (mainly due to injury) and was injured down the stretch yet the Oilers are making a run of it. For $9M+, you'd think that he would be more crucial to team success. Obviously they're a better team with a healthy Nurse long term but how much better does he make them is a legit question to ask.

The bolded makes me think of how the Oilers went into the toilet that first McDavid year (I think it was that season), not after McDavid went down, so much as when Klefbom was out. Nurse isn’t really having that impact when he’s not playing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The impact of Tanev not playing cannot be overstated. It is a huge issue for the Flames as he is, by far, their best option at stopping McDavid

Even if he comes back, a slow dman with a high ankle sprain is going to struggle against speed. If Tanev is healthy, we probably lose this in 5 or 6. Without him, I really like our chances
Well, sure, but what would the Flames chances be against a healthy Draisaitl and Nurse?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

Markstrom can eat it.
Crowd needs to use that to their advantage tomorrow. Guy sounds like the Chris Versteeg of goalies.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the workload of Smith, maybe not a factor yet, but he's not used to too many in a row before Kosk has spelled him off.

Reactions: bellagiobob

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nuge has been fine. It would be great to see him on the scoresheet but he is doing a lot of little things to help this team win. Not at all like 2017 in my eyes.
Honestly hes been on the score sheet. He’s basically a ppg player in the playoffs and yeah I know 3 points game in the third period of an LA game. Wish he was more dynamic 5 on 5, but hes elite on special teams.

Was Brassard given a fair shot here and any decent TOI?

I only know his name from fantasy hockey, but it seemed like he was always productive on other teams... just realized yesterday that he hasn't been playing. Does he not play wing at all?

He honestly hasn’t brought much. No intensity from him. I got the feeling from him from day 1, that I don’t think he was really looking to be traded. Who knows though.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Markstrom can eat it.

Markstrom is a sieve against us and made the wrong choice signing with the Flames.

****ing light him up again boys. I hope the fans are just ruthless towards him at home.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Right from the opening shots to the head and slashes from the flames .. your team earned the right to win this series.. Across the board from mcdavid to hynan taking on who touched them to the team lighting up all and checking on every possession and pass after it was 2 to 0 early..

If you out physical these pricks and keep a lead throughout.. you win.. you can defend calgary if you keep them from their strong scavenger sekves from the net.. great job edm.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

Markstrom can eat it.
I wonder if McDavid and Co. were aware at the time how close Markstrom was to signing with us, and now every time the Oilers play him they find an extra gear just to stick it to him.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
I didn't see enough Cowboy hats from the broadcast and panel tonight.

Was that ever cringeworthy in first game. These are national broadcasts, it isn't a Flames only broadcast. At least offer the illusion of neutrality. Then when they skate out and pregame all teh iso's are on Calgary. I mean think of that? Would you Have Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls coming out against the Denver shit pellets and the broadcast is looking off the stars of the game, which happen to be Oilers. Surreal.

yeah, I don't need 17 pans of the Tkachuk hillbillies in a playoff game. Seen enough of them to last a lifetime.

I think people must have phoned in complaints though because it was less atrocious flames broadcast tonight.
Maybe for game 3 they'll be covered in motor oil to even it up

Reactions: Shad5150

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
Has anyone looked into his overall sv% against the Oilers? I wonder if there's something there . . .

StatsMuse has players' stats vs specific teams (though these are just regular season stats), and it's pretty clear that his numbers against the Oilers aren't even close to the same during his time in Vancouver as they've been as a Flame. Causation doesn't always equal correlation, but it's an entertaining storyline regardless. For every bit as (admittedly hilariously) loud the Calgary crowd was in giving it to Smith, I've zero doubt it'll be getting thrown back at Markstrom in spades.

Reactions: soothsayer and Skar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad