Post-Game Talk: Oilers outplayed, only McDavid and Hyman show up

Would you dress Holloway for a game?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So I keep saying this. Its a massive mountain for the Flames. Beating us has been their usual mountain to climb. With the Oilers its never been the same and I see no indication that the Oilers approach the series the same. I said before the series. I say it now. The Flames hate the Oil. The reverse seems not to be true. Maybe by game 2 or 3...a guy can hope.

Like somebody else said the Oilers didn't even look upset last night not one.

Exactly as expected. Some battle. One team was battling. Could be we hate the Flames more than our players seemingly do. You were projecting BOA last couple days. Did you get it?

Yeah, it seems this way. I think the Oilers stopped caring about this after the big fight game. Wonder if playing them ad naseum last year in a season that was full as dishwater didn’t help. Ryan (on the other side at the time) mentioned that playing the same team all the time got you more heated against them. Wonder if that was the way the Flames felt. Oilers seem to treat this more as a battle of who gives a shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Watching this as a fan of neither team.

What I dont understand is why teams dont get in Gaudreau's face more. Flames were taking shots at McDavid, getting in his face after the whistle, even the biggest fake tough guy in the NHL Backlund gave him a shot or two.

Go after that little hockey gnome Johnny. Its a proven fact that oafs like Lucic and half wits like Tkachuk cant control their emotions. The lynchpin would be to get in Gaudreaus grill, give him a shot or two extra, glove in the face after whistles etc...It would be a parade to the penalty box for retaliation penalties.

Out of all the high scoring players that i watched this year, somehow he has escaped any abuse from the other team this year.
Because whoever did that would have gotten their face punched in.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The difference is we're allowing the Flames shots right from slot all day, and tons of them. Our D coverage is a clown show, and I don't know its getting a lot better. Calgary defend better than we do, and thats pretty much a constant. Last night was atypically loose from Calgary, they actually got overconfident. Calgary get the W and learn from this close call. I'm not sure the Oilers learn how to play team D consistently when they haven't learned that in 3.5mths. Not sure if they ever learn how to impose their will on games and start early. We allowed the Flames to do everything they wanted to.
That's exactly it. Calgary played their B game (if that) and still pummeled the Oilers into oblivion. Of course, the Oilers can play better too but I have yet to see them stand up to the Flames this season and withstand their forecheck so I'm not sure if they're capable tbh.

I mean, this was an exact replica of the last game they played, almost exactly alike. You can generally just shrug this off as one game "it's just one of those games" when it only happens "once" but when it repeats the same pattern from the regular season, it sets off alarm bells. Not to mention, that those games had a healthy Drai and Nurse. I don't want to be fatalistic but, yeah, confidence is low with this matchup.

It's funny because the Oilers owned the Flames the previous two seasons then once Sutter took over, the script was completely flipped with the same players more or less. There were even a few games when they played Calgary late last season when you can already see the impact that Sutter had on them when they were controlling the play more often and it's just gone downhill from there with the Oilers against that team.

Last edited:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I've read that cynicism may cause early development of dementia.

On another note, should we try and see if we have our own Oettinger in Skinner?
Or is it too early?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
W
Because he's an uncertainty. I can only imagine how much this board would overreact if he came in for a game, played 7 minutes and contributed little offense in sheltered minutes.

I don't see Woodcroft going to him because he doesn't know the player well. How do you deploy a rookie in a playoff game with absolutely no gauge of where his game is at that level?
Woodcroft coached him this year but yeah I think he just hasn’t been around the team enough where you throw him in for his first nhl game in a battle of Alberta playoff game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's also a safe career play tbh, there's a bit of strategy with the goal tending decisions. Woodcroft needs to re-up and get a long term contract before he goes all in on his own ideas. People that want him to jam Skinner out there into the wolf den are out to lunch.

The coach is going to go with the proven vet and if it doesn't work, who gets blamed? It ain't him. It's Holland, because Holland chose to run this duo back instead of upgrading goal tending. Is Skinner better? Possibly, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get into a presser at seasons end and say "I played the team I was given by the GM", than "I took a risk and it didn't work".
I would reference the scene in Moneyball where the coach is not doing what the GM wants and his explanation is "I need to coach this team in a way that I can explain in job interviews next summer"... No rookie HC who's job isn't even cemented is going to put his faith in a rookie goalie, that's a good way to not get another HCing job, the risk is far too high.

Not to mention, the last thing you want to do is bring the guy in and be like here ya go - the hottest rivalry in the league, round 2 playoffs with everything on the line. Goodluck kid! Lmao, we saw what happened to Rittich and he had more NHL experience. He got domed, then never recovered and now he's a backup.

Tenders are the most mental of all positions, let's not put a potential franchise goalie into the meat grinder and risk a permanent regression. Skinner needs a real legitimate stretch of games before he's ready for something like this.
A must read post! Perfect explanation for anybody asking about Skinner. Should be copy pasted somewhere. It isn't the time. For all the reasons mentioned.

Reactions: North Cole

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I doubt it. If so, take the huge powerplay and make them pay.
What huge Powerplay? Flames have injured multiple star players this season and little ever happens to them. Zadorov went up for suspension for the last one and nothing happened to him. Afairc there wasn't even a penalty. Count the number of charging penalties lucic has got this season and get back to me. The NHL likes to let the Flames pull their dirtbag shit. They let them do it. Zadorov was screaming at the Stars bench "you're dead" But he's a fine broth of a lad according to the minister of player safety (sarcasm, orwell)

The flames are the anointed team this season that the NHL wants to make something out of. they've been granted license all season. its not like they get penalize proportionally to their egregious actions. nah, once in awhile to make it look good. There could be a game between the Flames and the Byng trophy allstars and the NHL would even up calls as much as possible. Flames would get an extra penalty if a chainsaw was spotted..

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
A must read post! Perfect explanation for anybody asking about Skinner. Should be copy pasted somewhere. It isn't the time. For all the reasons mentioned.
It's really weird. We have so many people clamouring for Skinner to get in and then we also seem to have a lot of posters lamenting this teams trash track record of player development. Venn diagram must be practically a circle at this point.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
what they hell happened in his game? Rewatched it and well--it was bad and not bad in a good way. We always knew if the goalies crapped the pipes we were in trouble--Ken Dryden or Hasek could have been in net(minus the first few minutes) and they oilers would have lost

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i said before the game the only way the oilers will lose is if they beat themselves.

giving up 3 quick goals on bad goaltending but worse D zone coverage is awful. The flames should be worried though, they had a 4 goal lead and pissed it away to a team that wasnt controlling the play at all. it was a huge feeling out game and if i was the flames i would be more worried because that was the oilers D- game and they still scored 6 ES

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's really weird. We have so many people clamouring for Skinner to get in and then we also seem to have a lot of posters lamenting this teams trash track record of player development. Venn diagram must be practically a circle at this point.
Could be people just aren't as aware of the reasons you put down. The responsible reasons not to rush a player into a nightmare assignment. Rittich was a good example. Many others exist.

The other part is that the concept of delay of gratification seems dying. Its off topic, but people want their fixes now, damn the torpedos, do it now. If they shout it loud enough maybe it happens. I dunno. But its a manifest impatience you see a lot of today. It doesn't make any sense to do, but do it anyway?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

For me, I’m just disappointed that they didn’t play him early in the season. I agree with why Woody wouldn’t and why they shouldn’t now. If he had more experience, it wouldn’t be a problem

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Same with Holloway.

Reactions: North Cole

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Operation “Steal That Hat”

Somebody pour ketchup, soya sauce and mustard on the hat and guess what that looks like..would be apt at least due to who's wearing it.

Not saying do this btw. Not really..

but in a pinch refried black beans works decent too. just saying

Oh and the other inbred was in attendance watching his brother. Strange how he almost looks normal in the Calgary Crowd. Really I thought about that way too much last night. Dueling Banjos kept playing in my head, make it stop...

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
What huge Powerplay? Flames have injured multiple star players this season and little ever happens to them. Zadorov went up for suspension for the last one and nothing happened to him. Afairc there wasn't even a penalty. Count the number of charging penalties lucic has got this season and get back to me. The NHL likes to let the Flames pull their dirtbag shit. They let them do it. Zadorov was screaming at the Stars bench "you're dead" But he's a fine broth of a lad according to the minister of player safety (sarcasm, orwell)

The flames are the anointed team this season that the NHL wants to make something out of. they've been granted license all season. its not like they get penalize proportionally to their egregious actions. nah, once in awhile to make it look good. There could be a game between the Flames and the Byng trophy allstars and the NHL would even up calls as much as possible. Flames would get an extra penalty if a chainsaw was spotted..
The Flames getting preferential treatment isn't an excuse to play scared like the start of the game. If we don't skate and hit everyone, including Johnny, we will lose. It opens up the game for our skill. I know the Oilers don't like it, but it's required.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Flames getting preferential treatment isn't an excuse to play scared like the start of the game. If we don't skate and hit everyone, including Johnny, we will lose. It opens up the game for our skill. I know the Oilers don't like it, but it's required.
I'm not disagreeing. But as soon as we lay a finger on Lindholm, Gaudreau, there will be hell to pay. Whoever does it will be out of the game. Injured. not like our PP is up to much anyway. Which Flames are also noting. So nothing really deters the mayhem. Flames have learned even to target Nuge and Bouch on the PP because they'll cough up the puck like hairballs. Looks like the Flames have scouted. At least one team did.

The Flames know our PP better than some of our players appear to.

I expected at least a giggle for the chainsaw comment. ;)

Reactions: T-Funk

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Somebody pour ketchup, soya sauce and mustard on the hat and guess what that looks like..would be apt at least due to who's wearing it.

Not saying do this btw. Not really..

but in a pinch refried black beans works decent too.

Oh and the other inbred was in attendance watching his brother. Strange how he almost looks normal in the Calgary Crowd. Really I thought about that way too much last night. Dueling Banjos kept playing in my head, make it stop...

You trying to get Keith to eat that hat or what?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Which keith we talking about? ;)

Operation “Steal That Hat”

Somebody rub ketchup, soya sauce and mustard on the hat and guess what that looks like..would be apt at least due to who's wearing it.

Not saying do this btw.

Just hinting that Daddy Tkachuk is a shit head so his head should look like shit, not just the face. its his lucky hat. The other part is getting him to stop wearing it, somehow..

The boards all crazy. Edits become conjoined posts..

ps Isn't the whole big Tkachuk family all exactly what you would expect them to look like? What a zoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: soothsayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad