Post-Game Talk: Oilers outplayed, only McDavid and Hyman show up

Would you dress Holloway for a game?

• Total voters

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
thats-true-kramer.gif

Them three-peating would also troll a lot of fanbases that felt like it’s their team’s year, too
It is supposed to be the Avs year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Tippet overall did... okay with the Oilers. Two playoff appearances in a row, the club's first .600 season since Gretzky, and League-dominant special teams.

But the playoff series with Winnipeg, where his only significant reaction to losing game one was to re-unite McDavid and Draisaitl and do nothing else for the next three games except play them into the ground, kind of put his job on short notice. (Assigning a top-4 role to Ethan Bear in the playoffs didn't help.) The massive slump in mid-season this year did him in, understandably.

The one thing Tippet could never figure out was how to make the Oilers work at even strength, where they were a disaster his entire tenure. At the end of the day, teams don't win championships with poor even strength play. So, that really had to change and Woodcroft has done a good job there, so far.

I dunno. Coaching today seems so little about motivating players and intimidating them and it seems mostly just about line-matching and special teams. Basically, if a coach can do that, it's about all we can ask. The players have to win the games.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
So many good comments. Nuge was never worth his extension. Can’t drive physical play and hasn’t put on any weight in his NHL career. The Puljaarvi experiment needs to end….don’t care about his metrics as no matter how rosy they are, they are not translating into anything. The guy simply shirts away from physical contact and makes poor decisions.

Same to be said for Nurse. Not ragging on the guy because of one game either. The main criteria cited for signing him was lol the minutes he played. Really? Whatever happened to wanting a D man who could actually defend with a real nasty streak and who could actually get a puck on net reliably. All these little kids with their carbon sticks and they can’t control their shiit’s. Just because a player can log long minutes in a game does not mean he is worth $9+M/yr. If it was up to me and I could get the trade, I would send Nurse, a first pick, and prospect over to Winni peg for Helleybuk.

Evan Bouchard…ClusterF just waiting to happen. The guy lacks a sense of urgency. Coupled with poor decisions on many of his shots where the shots hit a defenders leg. Or he lets an opposing player skate right by him.

Last thing that I really wanted to comment on from the last game…Woodcroft should have put Smith back in the net to start the third or when we tied the game. It just has to be so deflating for the team to claw back to 6-6 and then have Koskinen let in those goals. Just atoricious. He we been able to win that game, Calgary would have been in a funk and we would have had a back breaker of a win.

Even Holland should have known better. Should hav signed Gooberbranson when he could have. He had to at least anticipate the need for size and the need to deal with Calgary. But he sufifers from some acute myopia at times. I wonder whether, if the Oilers lose, he will regret not going all in on a goalie with the first round pick, especially if Kane does not return.

My $0.02. YMMV.
So Nurse, first and a prospect for Hellybuck now? You know the Stars got oettinger with a late first and now we need to dump everything for a minor upgrade?

Imagine if the jets used our first to pick a number goalie and the goalie wins the vezina. Your armchair moves may work on your Playstation.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So Nurse, first and a prospect for Hellybuck now? You know the Stars got oettinger with a late first and now we need to dump everything for a minor upgrade?

Imagine if the jets used our first to pick a number goalie and the goalie wins the vezina. Your armchair moves may work on your Playstation.

Hellebuyck is a Vezina trophy winner and has been a nominee for years. He's also signed for another 2 years at just under $6.2M.

Chevaldayoff laughs you out of the room with $9.25M Nurse, a low 1st and any of our prospects.

Picking goalies in the draft and developing them is voodoo. Oettenger could completely flame out next year. Track record means everything for goalies.

A trade for Hellebuyck starts with a 1st. Probably another 1st or 2nd in a different year, a high prospect (Bourgault or Savoie), and an NHL player (likely Yamamoto or Bouchard). Vezina-calibre goalies don't grow on trees. You need to make it worthwhile to Winnipeg since it doesn't seem likely that they're prepared to tear everything down.

For that package you probably get a decent NHLer in return with Hellebuyck. Maybe DeMelo or Appleton.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It is supposed to be the Avs year.

Blues might have something to say about that, if they can keep playing like they did tonight. Avs looked frustrated. First real adversity they've faced all year.

There are two other teams in the playoffs that haven't faced much in the way of adversity, one is down 2-0 heading onto the road, the other has just seen that their goalie will be tested by elite offense before everything is over. The team facing that team needs to take some notes from how the Blues played tonight and play a game committed to playoff calibre defense. They did it a couple of times in the last series.

I think these playoffs could end up being pretty interesting.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day we are easily the worst team left in the playoffs so even a single win would be big.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
With healthy Nurse and Drai we would still be the worst of the remaining 8. That’s not necessarily bad. I mean top 8 is super good for this franchise.
Disagree, you have a completely healthy Nurse and Drai. Game 1 would have been entirely different outcome.
This is a top 5 team when fully healthy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Disagree, you have a completely healthy Nurse and Drai. Game 1 would have been entirely different outcome.
This is a top 5 team when fully healthy.
No they aren't. This teams bottom 6 is still an abyss of nothing. The only bottom 6ers we have that can actually play hockey are McLeod and Nuge. The defense is still one of the worst in the league and the goaltending is a coin flip. Top 5 team? lol.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
No they aren't. This teams bottom 6 is still an abyss of nothing. The only bottom 6ers we have that can actually play hockey are McLeod and Nuge. The defense is still one of the worst in the league and the goaltending is a coin flip. Top 5 team? lol.
Not laughing at your projection of the team and I stand by my previous post.
You are underestimating our bottom 6, I think higher of them than you do.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not laughing at your projection of the team and I stand by my previous post.
You are underestimating our bottom 6, I think higher of them than you do.
Which bottom 6 player is a good hockey player?
Archibald who literally can only hit and is statistically and visually terrible at everything else?
Kassian who plays hockey once a month? Derek Ryan who literally showed up for 2 weeks this year and outside of playing on the PK, isn't good?
Foegele who has been so bad the coaching staff rather play Archibald on his offside?

Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Colorado, St Louis, Calgary, Rangers, Toronto and Minnesota are all better than us when fully healthy.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Archibald who literally can only hit and is statistically and visually terrible at everything else?
Kassian who plays hockey once a month? Derek Ryan who literally showed up for 2 weeks this year and outside of playing on the PK, isn't good?
Every player on our bottom 6 can play good hockey, we've seen it. Take a look around, we are in round 2 for heaven sakes. You don't get here with bad bottom 6. They have gotten the job done before, why are you doubting them now?
But it sounds like you've made up your mind and I am not here to convince you otherwise. I do not agree with your assessment, don't have mock somebody else because they don't share the same opinion as yours.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Every player on our bottom 6 can play good hockey, we've seen it. Take a look around, we are in round 2 for heaven sakes. You don't get here with bad bottom 6. They have gotten the job done before, why are you doubting them now?
But it sounds like you've made up your mind and I am not here to convince you otherwise. I do not agree with your assessment, don't have mock somebody else because they don't share the same opinion as yours.
If thats the case this team is perfect then, top 5 team, great bottom 6, best top 6 in the world.
Then why did we struggle against LA so bad? Why did we get stomped last night? Why did McDavid have to go legendary to even get us out of the last series with Smith playing incredibly well? Must be our top 6s fault.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
If thats the case this team is perfect then, top 5 team, great bottom 6, best top 6 in the world.
Then why did we struggle against LA so bad? Why did we get stomped last night? Why did McDavid have to go legendary to even get us out of the last series with Smith playing incredibly well? Must be our top 6s fault.
Bro, easy, it's playoffs. No team is going to be an easy fight. Every team in the playoffs deserves to be here.
You can honestly say Oilers are top 8 team for sure this year. And everything you said is a possibility. Oilers are literally here, right now, to prove the world it can be that type of team.
I just give them more credit then you do. Nothing wrong with that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bro, easy, it's playoffs. No team is going to be an easy fight. Every team in the playoffs deserves to be here.
You can honestly say Oilers are top 8 team for sure this year. And everything you said is a possibility. Oilers are literally here, right now, to prove the world it can be that type of team.
I just give them more credit then you do. Nothing wrong with that.
This team is going to be hard pressed to take this series to 5 games let alone win it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Foegele who has been so bad the coaching staff rather play Archibald on his offside?

Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Colorado, St Louis, Calgary, Rangers, Toronto and Minnesota are all better than us when fully healthy.
what's your point exactly?
we're in the 2nd Round and all you can do is bitch and complain about the deficiencies of the team

This team is going to be hard pressed to take this series to 5 games let alone win it.
ok cool...don't watch the games then if its a formality

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
With healthy Drai and Nurse I'd like our chances a lot more, against any team.

Same here. Them being at 75% and 50% at best, respectively, really puts this team in the hole. It’ll be a miracle for them to take this to 7, let alone win it.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

They dominated them in game 6 and 7. Game 6 was artificially close because it was one of the worst reffed games against the Oilers since 16-17 game 5 against the Ducks. Game could have easily been 5-1 if called correctly.

Also, a healthy Nurse and Drai (neither were 100% then) and the team not being hungover as per rumours or whatever the f*** it was that made them sleepwalk games 4 and 5, it might have been over in 5 or 6.

They got stomped last game for a few reasons, health, a bad Smith game that put them behind the 8 ball and playing scared.

No need to dunk on the team, they’ve faced a lot of adversity and we should be pleased they are in the 2nd round when they were on pace to miss the playoffs instead.

Reactions: brentashton

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
A big tough guy that can only play 3-4 minutes a night doesn’t keep Lucic in his place. Lucic can play regular shifts and contribute. A guy who can only punch faces does nothing.
yes, that is the fake news we’ve been fed over the last decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad