Confirmed with Link: Oilers open Rogers place Oct 12 vs Flames (plus full schedule)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I still can't wrap my head around an outdoor game in October, even if it is in Winnipeg. Smart move by the Jets holding it so early in the season. These games tend to become distractions for the home team. Good to get it out of the way early.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
imo, it is good to have your tough games at the end of the season. The kings, sharks, and ducks will be in coast mode with 10 to play. Lots of times, the underdog wins those games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
imo, it is good to have your tough games at the end of the season. The kings, sharks, and ducks will be in coast mode with 10 to play. Lots of times, the underdog wins those games.

Id much rather hit that road block at the end of a journey vs hitting it right at the start and never getting started in first place

A tough schedule to start that sinks us would just be so totally depressing. Another 70 useless games for Oilers. Id much rather storm out of gate and be in hunt for 60 games and then run into that

Plus, if the team is rolling and one fo those contenders falters, it makes the roadblock that much smaller

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
November (10 of first 13 games on road) and February (9 of 12 on road) look brutal

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If I remember correctly, the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup on May 24th. It shouldn't be much of a problem to finish the season before June. I'll acknowledge that it was only an 80 game season and the first round of the playoffs was a best of five instead of a best of seven. Still though, one extra game a month and enough time can be shaved off the season to end in May.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
If I remember correctly, the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup on May 24th. It shouldn't be much of a problem to finish the season before June. I'll acknowledge that it was only an 80 game season and the first round of the playoffs was a best of five instead of a best of seven. Still though, one extra game a month and enough time can be shaved off the season to end in May.
Back then games 1 & 2 were back-to-back as were games 3 & 4. Can't remember how many rounds that was for though. The first round was a best-of-five.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Back then games 1 & 2 were back-to-back as were games 3 & 4. Can't remember how many rounds that was for though. The first round was a best-of-five.

Yeah, the first round was 4 games in 5 nights. That was just the first round though. After that the teams played pretty much every second night. They also flew commercial in those days instead of chartered. They still survived. I think these guys could handle one less day off per month to make the difference up. They don't need so many days off during the playoffs either. This was to try to get more weekend games. Ratings are tanking anyway so that hasn't helped either. They should just go back to every other day, would help to keep the intensity up as another bonus.

It used to benefit a team to finish a team off early and get an extra rest while you waited for the next team to finish their series. Now the next series gets pushed back for both teams to line up optimal tv dates.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Last one was 5-0 Flames right?

Odd they would open the new building with the Flames. Already tickets for that one are sky high. They could have Flames any other time and have those as high demand tickets all on their own. Oilers could be playing ANYBODY in the home opener and those tickets will be priceless at the new arena.

Will be interesting to see what the top paid ticket will be for this one game. Wouldn't put 5K bucks out of the question. 1K buck/ ticket resales will be common enough. I mean face value on some of these seats are what? 500bucks?

I don't think they try to assess who the home opener opponent will be based on ticket demand or resale value...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think they try to assess who the home opener opponent will be based on ticket demand or resale value...

Its a business. Why wouldn't they? This is a free bingo spot on the calender that can be called an uber premium game with commensurate ticket pricing. Calgary is always considered, and priced, as a "Premium game" (you do know that games are priced differently don't you) Having Calgary be the visitor on opening night just reduces by 1, the amount of premium games the team can charge for in the season. Would've been more sense for it to be say Carolina for the opener.

The initial Oilers had the right idea about this and a low demand club like the Cleveland Crusaders helped the Oilers open their new barn in 1974. That allowed the Oilers of the time to have one more really solid gate that year. For sure they weren't going to waste it putting a demand team in there on that opening night. For instance Winnipeg Jets (Bobby Hull) Quebec Nordiques, Houston Aeros(Gordie Howe) were the demand teams in the WHA.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think it's fair they throw us a bone after bending the dirty over a barrel to build the thing.

Well, I can't argue that one. ;)

But that's only presuming the Oil actually manage to win this one. Most games against the Flames have been no party favor, lets just say. :D

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Booked a flight to Dallas to catch stars/oilers and ravens/cowboys in november. Stoked.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Its a business. Why wouldn't they? This is a free bingo spot on the calender that can be called an uber premium game with commensurate ticket pricing. Calgary is always considered, and priced, as a "Premium game" (you do know that games are priced differently don't you) Having Calgary be the visitor on opening night just reduces by 1, the amount of premium games the team can charge for in the season. Would've been more sense for it to be say Carolina for the opener.

The initial Oilers had the right idea about this and a low demand club like the Cleveland Crusaders helped the Oilers open their new barn in 1974. That allowed the Oilers of the time to have one more really solid gate that year. For sure they weren't going to waste it putting a demand team in there on that opening night. For instance Winnipeg Jets (Bobby Hull) Quebec Nordiques, Houston Aeros(Gordie Howe) were the demand teams in the WHA.

You seem to think that it is the Oilers, and not the NHL, that determines the schedule.

They didn't set the league schedule in the WHA days, and they don't set the NHL schedule now. One would think this is extremely obvious.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You seem to think that it is the Oilers, and not the NHL, that determines the schedule.

They didn't set the league schedule in the WHA days, and they don't set the NHL schedule now. One would think this is extremely obvious.

This is a home opener. Opening a new 600M brand new arena. This is a bigger event with bigger ticket demand here than the Heritage Classic. Would anybody question a team having a right to decide, or have input on opponent in an outdoor game? Why could a team not have input in this instance. Actually I doubt that Calgary is randomly the opponent for this game among 29 NHL options.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
This is a home opener. Opening a new 600M brand new arena. This is a bigger event with bigger ticket demand here than the Heritage Classic. Would anybody question a team having a right to decide, or have input on opponent in an outdoor game? Why could a team not have input in this instance. Actually I doubt that Calgary is randomly the opponent for this game among 29 NHL options.

Most of the time you complain about the Oilers charging too much in Rogers Place. Now you're saying they should have picked another opponent because they are leaving money on the table. Which is it?

I'd rather see the Flames on opening night rather than a lesser opponent like Carolina. Whether the NHL or the Oilers decided, who cares? Is it worth questioning every single decision?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad