Confirmed with Link: Oilers open Rogers place Oct 12 vs Flames (plus full schedule)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Most of the time you complain about the Oilers charging too much in Rogers Place. Now you're saying they should have picked another opponent because they are leaving money on the table. Which is it?

I'd rather see the Flames on opening night rather than a lesser opponent like Carolina. Whether the NHL or the Oilers decided, who cares? Is it worth questioning every single decision?

Anything else Oilers related to discuss on June 22nd? This is the Oilers news, pretty much the only Oilers news there is.

Not like I'm cherry picking. I've posted in the Oesterle thread, posted in this one, its the only oilers news I've heard about.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Most of the time you complain about the Oilers charging too much in Rogers Place. Now you're saying they should have picked another opponent because they are leaving money on the table. Which is it?

I'd rather see the Flames on opening night rather than a lesser opponent like Carolina. Whether the NHL or the Oilers decided, who cares? Is it worth questioning every single decision?

it's Replacement....you could show him the sky is blue and he'd argue its green

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
This is a home opener. Opening a new 600M brand new arena. This is a bigger event with bigger ticket demand here than the Heritage Classic. Would anybody question a team having a right to decide, or have input on opponent in an outdoor game? Why could a team not have input in this instance. Actually I doubt that Calgary is randomly the opponent for this game among 29 NHL options.

Because it would create competitive imbalance for ANY team to have such a specific influence over the league when it comes to scheduling.

I'm baffled you can't see this very obvious fact.

Last edited:

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I suspect the schedulers, while determining building availability form teams, also obtain team preferences. And while those likely do not trump the general algorithm, they try to accommodate as many as possible.

Oilers get a home opener on the first night of the season against their #1 rival. Calgary gets a home opener on a Friday against their #1 rival. Win/win/win for league/Oilers/Flames.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
I suspect the schedulers, while determining building availability form teams, also obtain team preferences. And while those likely do not trump the general algorithm, they try to accommodate as many as possible.

Oilers get a home opener on the first night of the season against their #1 rival. Calgary gets a home opener on a Friday against their #1 rival. Win/win/win for league/Oilers/Flames.

Nope not according to Replacement. The Oilers should be playing the Hurricances or Blue Jackets.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

This is more likely closer to the scenario, as building availablity is by far the biggest determining factor in scheduling.

I seriously doubt, however, a team can choose specific opposition based on their own specific needs.

The Flames are the #1 historic rivals the Oilers have. It makes the most sense by far that they open the new building and the season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Exactly. We know that the teams put in special requrests, options, as well as part of the algorithm. How do people think the Rodeo roadtrip and such occurs. Of course teams have input on the schedule. The schedule fits around what the teams can accommodate. Note that the Oilers have been granted the Rodeo roadtrip everytime they have asked.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Exactly. We know that the teams put in special requrests, options, as well as part of the algorithm. How do people think the Rodeo roadtrip and such occurs. Of course teams have input on the schedule. The schedule fits around what the teams can accommodate. Note that the Oilers have been granted the Rodeo roadtrip everytime they have asked.

The Rodeo road trip is based on building availability. Do you think the Oilers choose their specific opponents for this?

Basically, it seems like you have chosen this as an opportunity to criticize the organization for a mistake on their part that simply doesn't exist.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
The Rodeo road trip is based on building availability. Do you think the Oilers choose their specific opponents for this?

Basically, it seems like you have chosen this as an opportunity to criticize the organization for a mistake on their part that simply doesn't exist.

Not just that but criticizing the organization for picking too attractive of an opponent for opening night.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its no big deal, but it wouldn't surprise me in press releases prior to the opening that the Flames were chosen for the opener. I doubt its BOA out of the blue, just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad