Post-Game Talk: Oilers no show in big home game, Smith outplayed by an AHL goalie

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's like I said last PGT.....and I may be drunk, but Woodcroft started coaching this team, but he isn't anymore.
someone else is calling the shots on how things go down, and leadership is pretty shitty on this club.
f***ing pissed on how certain players are getting leeway...
Look, if you were coach you would do the same thing. (I'm assuming you mean starting Smith). You have rock solid evidence that Koskinen burns out quickly and you need to keep him hot. You see Skinner as the future and want to protect his confidence, and know hes still too young.

You play Smith and send your GM a damn message. "It is not going to be okay. I'm going to keep proving it to you until you do something"

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
All three have annoying play habits.

Nurse: Chaotic and high risk, gets too shooting focused at times.

Drai: Holds onto the puck too long, doesn’t make the simple play enough.

McDavid: Overpasses and overhandles the puck, gives goalies too much credit sometimes.

The problem is each of these habits are often contributors to losing hockey.
But they weren't doing these things 10 games ago when they were winning. What changed?

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
If they don't turn it around I'm cancelling the San Jose 4/5 trip I booked during the short lived winning run when Tippett was fired. I was so happy to see them playing good hockey but tonight felt like Tippett was back running the show... All the better habits they seemed to have under woody were no where to be seen. Mike Smith needs to do the right thing and fire himself.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not going to blame Smith for this loss. Don't get me wrong, he was abysmal as usual.

But I'm going to blame the coach for starting this dumpster fire. There was again no reason not to play Koskinen even if he didn't have the greatest game against the Hawks. I said it in the pre-game, my feelings for this game went from confident to terrified once I learned Smith was starting. He's done, cooked, arrivederci.

Also the special teams were atrocious.

Yep. But this club doesn't even look like it has a coaching staff right now. 3 games in a row where they are outclassed by bad clubs. Not forgetting Habs got two goals called back in this game, one that could have counted.

The Oilers were pathetic in coverage tonight. Blame it on Smith all you want, and I'm sure many will, but guys like Suzuki allowed to walk right into gimme range in the slot, and scored twice on the same identical play. The one that counted right after the one that didn't.

We gave up breakaways, odd man rushes, turned pucks over. We deserved to lose. Habs didn't have goaltending either in this game. We just generated sweet f*** all after first period.

Reactions: TB12

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Another disgusting game. What's pretty clear to me is that while Tippett was past his best before date and had to go, he wasn't even close to the biggest problem this team had. Constructed poorly at every position, from skillset, to competitiveness to leadership, this team is no where ready to compete for a SC, let alone a playoff spot. Katz may have an empty building next year if he doesn't replace Holland, but it's likely years before we can become contenders, even if by some fluke we even hire a competent GM. I just hope Holland doesn't go into crazyman mode like Chia and go and make some horrible trades to try and save his job.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
giphy.gif

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It’s a terrible bottom 6, a weird mix of D and awful goalies. The only thing that’s good on this team is the top 6. Way too many passengers Ryan, Foeggele, Turris, Sceviour, Shore, Yamamoto are all useless

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
It'll be unthinkable to let Smith play one more game again. It was an embarrassment that he was even in nets tonight. That's on you Woody!

Reactions: harpoon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’d really like to hear Woodcroft’s explanation for not pulling Smith after he took that penalty for knocking the net off its moorings. It was clear Smith was hurt. Why leave him in at that point when you’re down a goal and about to kill a 3rd period penalty? Everyone knew they were getting scored on during that power play. That was as dumb a decision as we’ve seen any Oiler’s coach make this year.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
This one is on Woodcroft and whoever is running special teams..

Kept Smith in net after he allowed 6 goals tonight and played soft all night...
There might have been some genius behind that madness. Maybe Woodcroft kept him to prove how bad he is.

I'm just grasping at straws here.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
This team sucks, and even worse they're not particularly likeable either. Just a bunch of lazy players that never outwork their opponents. Motivation strikes them for a few games randomly, but then they go back to being their old selves for weeks at a time. So many changes need to be made, but the guy in charge is basically the worst guy to have calling the shots. Again and always, the Oilers are a mismanaged dumpster fire.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
We're gonna get f***ed in a goalie trade too because the idiot GM has kicked the can down the road for three years.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
the forwards are all injured. Unless you bring up Holloway, there are no better options
Make a trade. Turris and Shore are nothing players. Benson and Foegele need a push to be anything of substance. And the bottom six vanishes when you take RNH out of the equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad