Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barrie and Zaitsev are not even in the same conversation. Sharks use Barrie this year and flip him next year when he's a pending UFA for a pretty good return with some retention. Oilers could add another prospect to it as well. But all three players I included have value.

The retention portion was based on the report that the Sharks are willing to retain 20%. Ceci and Benning were added to balance the salary in and out.
Barrie, Ceci, and Yamamoto are going to have very limited value to the Sharks. Barrie may get a 2nd next season. Ceci may get a 3rd in two seasons. Yamamoto probably around a 3rd next season as well. That is hardly enticing to a rebuilding Sharks team as a return for Erik Karlsson. You're talking about a late 1st, probably two late 2nds, and two late 3rds for Erik Karlsson with 20% retention. Nah, for that price, you can send another contract our way and remove retention.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
Barrie, Ceci, and Yamamoto are going to have very limited value to the Sharks. Barrie may get a 2nd next season. Ceci may get a 3rd in two seasons. Yamamoto probably around a 3rd next season as well. That is hardly enticing to a rebuilding Sharks team as a return for Erik Karlsson. You're talking about a late 1st, probably two late 2nds, and two late 3rds for Erik Karlsson with 20% retention. Nah, for that price, you can send another contract our way and remove retention.
Or you can keep EK and ….? How exactly does he help your rebuild?

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
We will keep him then. He's not being handed away for free.

Would’ve handed him away for free last season and could potentially be in that exact same situation next season. Oilers take all the risk and sharks get 4-5 picks for 2M retention. Stop acting like the entire league is lining up to take EK

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Would’ve handed him away for free last season and could potentially be in that exact same situation next season. Oilers take all the risk and sharks get 4-5 picks for 2M retention. Stop acting like the entire league is lining up to take EK
Yes me saying we will keep him means the entire league is lining up. If you want to take all the risk with no retention then sure, have him, but if you want retention as well then we will ask for a decent asset back.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
Yes me saying we will keep him means the entire league is lining up. If you want to take all the risk with no retention then sure, have him, but if you want retention as well then we will ask for a decent asset back.

A 1st in a deep draft +++ isn’t a decent asset?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
A 1st in a deep draft +++ isn’t a decent asset?
One 1st round pick that will be in the mid-to-late twenties is a start. This draft is deep/strong for the first half, and then it becomes like most 1st rounds. Obviously it requires more than that. There was already a Karlsson thread where Oilers and Sharks fans agreed to that. Barrie, Ceci, and Yamamoto do nothing for San Jose. I understand 2 would be involved to balance out money, but change the third to a prospect or pick and yeah that works.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
One 1st round pick that will be in the mid-to-late twenties is a start. This draft is deep/strong for the first half, and then it becomes like most 1st rounds. Obviously it requires more than that. There was already a Karlsson thread where Oilers and Sharks fans agreed to that. Barrie, Ceci, and Yamamoto do nothing for San Jose. I understand 2 would be involved to balance out money, but change the third to a prospect or pick and yeah that works.

Bouchard +1st + would be included but not for 20%. If you want a replacement + futures the retention has to go up and that’s why a trade won’t happen most likely.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or you can keep EK and ….? How exactly does he help your rebuild?
Playing with great players will improve younger players so it's not as if he's useless for the rebuild. He only hurts their draft positioning. The Sharks shouldn't trade Karlsson for a late 1st and later draft picks because those picks have high odds of busting. If a team wants Karlsson, it's probably going to start with a prospect you'd hate to lose. Draft picks after 10 aren't going to get the job done as a base for a trade here.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Bouchard +1st + would be included but not for 20%. If you want a replacement + futures the retention has to go up and that’s why a trade won’t happen most likely.
I've said before I would hope Grier would do

Karlsson 35% retained (7.475M) for Barrie, Yamamoto/Puljujarvi (cap is now balanced) + Bourgault + 1st + some conditional pick

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

If we're talking about a base of:
EK (20% retention) and Benning for Barrie, Ceci and Yamo

What are the adds from a picks/prospects perspective?

I've said before I would hope Grier would do

Karlsson 35% retained (7.475M) for Barrie, Yamamoto/Puljujarvi (cap is now balanced) + Bourgault + 1st + some conditional pick

I'd do that. Personally, I would like to send Yamo instead of JP, just because we can walk away from JP at the end of the year and use that cap space in other areas.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Speaking for myself, I would need Bourgault and the late 1st in the deal to start talking.

Is that to start or is that the deal? I'm not opposed to Bourgault and the 1st being in the deal at all. But if you that is a starting point and you're asking for more, there would need to be more retention or it doesn't make much sense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is that to start or is that the deal? I'm not opposed to Bourgault and the 1st being in the deal at all. But if you that is a starting point and you're asking for more, there would need to be more retention or it doesn't make much sense.
I would probably try to scrap the Benning/Ceci portion of the deal as well and then depending on how that went, I'd potentially ask for a mid-round pick. I'd rather bring Puljujarvi over as part of the deal than swap Ceci and Benning.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would probably try to scrap the Benning/Ceci portion of the deal as well and then depending on how that went, I'd potentially ask for a mid-round pick. I'd rather bring Puljujarvi over as part of the deal than swap Ceci and Benning.
What about the trade suggested by Stewie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad