Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
A third party retention would be pretty expensive. It's 4 years. Would that be like two 1sts for like 1 million retention?

So the past few years has shown 6-6.5 million in cap space is worth a 1st. So if Sanjose is willing to retain down to 9.5 then you could probable get another team to retain 1.5/year for a 1st. So EK would be at 8 million

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Both klingberg and Ghost are the exact opposite of what the Oilers need.
I do see the value in adding a puck mover. But I do see a defensive D as a bigger need.

Ultimately I think we need a talent. That's what made Karlsson enticing. I know the mix of styles is important but there's also raw ability. Sigh

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Both klingberg and Ghost are the exact opposite of what the Oilers need.
The Oilers need forward depth and a defenseman with a clean breakout pass that can play 20+ minutes, preferably left handed.

A well-rounded top four D would be nice, but it's also not realistic.

Reactions: Macheteops

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Haven't you guys learned to live with deadcap with the whole Luongo thing? With no deadcap left (if we don't count Horvat this season) you can probably live with it if the return is good enough.
We already have dead cap. His name is OEL. We can’t afford multiple years of additional dead cap.
I seriously doubt that any team will step up unless the return is huge.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That's why.
At the same time though he's having one of the best seaons by a defenseman in a long long time and there's no reason to think this kind of production won't continue for a couple more seasons at least. Looks like it was the injury bug that stunted his legacy but he seems to be healthy and motivated.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This one always struck me as far fetched. The Oilers would be better off spending their assets on getting a couple of solid D or a D and a solid third line player rather than paying a huge price for more offense in Karlsson.

Reactions: RattsSSV

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Why in the world do some oilers fans want EK? Scoring goals and their PP isn’t the problem. He’s the last guy I’d want to spend decent futures on if I was an oilers fan

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
If that's the price, then maybe just get some depth on D and bottom 6. Seems as the days go on, a karlsson trade is less reality.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Ouch. That is not what they need at all. They should go for a physical D that can move the puck...

Gavrikov? Edmundson? Other?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Haven't you guys learned to live with deadcap with the whole Luongo thing? With no deadcap left (if we don't count Horvat this season) you can probably live with it if the return is good enough.

I don't know what you mean...?

- The Luongo contract is a completely different situation that was unfairly thrust upon this team and shockingly not challenged in court by Aquilini. The league approved the contract as they did other contracts, and retroactively applied a penalty.
- We only have cap space this season because of LTIR. We won't have any space next season when these players are no longer injured.
- What does "learning to live with deadcap" even mean? lol

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
At the same time though he's having one of the best seaons by a defenseman in a long long time and there's no reason to think this kind of production won't continue for a couple more seasons at least. Looks like it was the injury bug that stunted his legacy but he seems to be healthy and motivated.
No reason? How about 2017/18 to 2021/22?
The Oilers also have to budget for what it will cost to dump his contract in two years when he inevitably declines. Could very well be next season

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Huge L for both the Oilers and Sharks. But it’s certainly possible that Sharks’ ownership is the issue (not wanting to retain too much money).

Reactions: Homesick

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No reason? How about 2017/18 to 2021/22?
The Oilers also have to budget for what it will cost to dump his contract in two years when he inevitably declines. Could very well be next season
Yeah. The years where, as I mentioned, injuries got him.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The Oilers need forward depth and a defenseman with a clean breakout pass that can play 20+ minutes, preferably left handed.

A well-rounded top four D would be nice, but it's also not realistic.
Chychrun is more well rounded than some people realize, and is only 4.5 for two more years, but Holland seems one of those guys who values tuff in defensemen or it’s not defense

Don’t know what the trade price would be but surely less than Karlssons, if they’re going to go that route.

Karlsson would cost more money for longer, has an injury history himself and is older. Maybe I’m wrong he’d cost more in a trade, but Chychrun has strong all around numbers on a bad team two and while Edmonton could use better breakouts (check mark Chychrun) they could also use better defenders

Also it’s debatable exactly how much of the breakouts problem is defensemen vs forwards/system. Their forwards are constantly flying the zone, having forwards stay closer for support passes could help

I haven’t followed him to know what the Chychrun ask is but if you’d willingly pay out the ass either way, could they go for Schenn and Chychrun and move one of their current defenders (Barrie?) and basically any picks or younger prospects and ship off an expensive forward?

I don’t follow Edmonton so I’m genuinely asking

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If San Jose is willing to retain $3m then Karlsson is only at $8.5m on the cap. I've gone through and armchair GM'd that and it's worth it long term for the Oilers. He's a huge upgrade that makes them instant top contenders.

If you're not doing that then you should pay up for Chychrun or Orlov. Absolutely not Klingberg or Ghost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad