Post-Game Talk: Oilers make it four straight wins, 3-0 over Habs.

HeroToNobody

Oct 23, 2014
Don't want to burst any bubbles around here but there are some things that make this recent win streak very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Eastern teams, as discussed to death.

But also the massive home stand. Guys like Hunt, Leon, Yak, and Schultz can't be victimised by bad match ups all night long.

We did lose to the Flames once, Ari once, and Van twice and both teams are very suspect in the west.

We have even played a game or two more than most in the west and are still outside of a playoff spot.

I am very happy to watching winning Oilers hockey. That win last night was against a hypothetical "good team" and I thought we deserved the win and played well all night in the face of a solid club. Most fun I've had watching a game in forever. Progress in the team is evident.

But.

A long ways to go before this team can really legitimately have a shot at a playoff spot.

I don't know if you saw, but Yak, without a stick in the defensive zone, forced Subban to make a turnover... He's developing a stronger and stronger defensive game, and he really has some drive and determination behind him.

Smart Dunsparce*

As seen by the Tampa and Montreal game I think it is a system thing where we get outshot by a team but still pull out the victory. While there are a lot of shots against Svrivs i have noticed that they are mostly from the perimeter and when a shot comes from the slot albeit pretty rarely now Scrivs is there to save the day. To me it seems like we are choking out the prime scoring areas and forcing teams to take less favourable shots.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
As seen by the Tampa and Montreal game I think it is a system thing where we get outshot by a team but still pull out the victory. While there are a lot of shots against Svrivs i have noticed that they are mostly from the perimeter and when a shot comes from the slot albeit pretty rarely now Scrivs is there to save the day. To me it seems like we are choking out the prime scoring areas and forcing teams to take less favourable shots.

The Avs, Leafs and Wild have all said this in consecutive seasons only to get burned.

Smart Dunsparce*

where the hell do they even come from?????? just habs fans in oilers clothing (most of the time)?
I wish I can tell you, They were chanting Oilers suck on the train, I told them to calm down... The beast of the east lost to the lowly oilers, you should be ashamed. lol

So annoying.

You mean this?

mZQtB1q.gif

Hall grabs Subban, falls down and draws the call. Pretty comical dive by Hallsy when viewed without blue and orange glasses on.
you can see at the end there that Halls skate got caught up with subbans.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Im happier with Marincin's play at this point, Fayne never got settled until paired with this kid. Either way they are both playing great right now, and is our best pairing by a far margin.

The outcome in the first 5 games would of been different with this pairing in place out of training camp.

Marincin has been great too, definitely our best pairing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wish I can tell you, They were chanting Oilers suck on the train, I told them to calm down... The beast of the east lost to the lowly oilers, you should be ashamed. lol

So annoying.

you can see at the end there that Halls skate got caught up with subbans.

I can see subban tripping Hall with his stick. Subban lets go of his stick after the trip and you can see it being stuck to Hall's skate at the end of this gif. Calling it a dive is immature.. Its not like Hall was looking to draw a penalty there.. Time was almost up and there was no scoring chance.. Refs deciding to call it was a bonus for Oil but not Hall's intention.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It would be nice if after 4 wins there wasn't a marauding army of Oiler fans on the main boards acting like we just won the cup.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know if you saw, but Yak, without a stick in the defensive zone, forced Subban to make a turnover... He's developing a stronger and stronger defensive game, and he really has some drive and determination behind him.

Don't get me wrong. I've loved Yaks game this year. A huge turn around, but he still is one of the more defensively weaker players we have that is still relatively new to the league. He will be victimised on the road like anyone his age would be.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Haven't read the thread yet, but I'll share a few thoughts.

It's so effin' nice to be on a winning streak. Even if it is against all Eastern opponents. I sure as hell hope we can carry momentum against the big, bad, West.

Matt ****ing Hendricks. Tear the 'C' off of Ference's chest, and sew it on Hendo's jersey. What a ***damn warrior.

Boyd Gordon is a champion. So glad this guy is an Oiler.

What a turn around for Ben Scrivens. He is a battler, what a competitor man.

Watching our team block so many shots, and slaughter the Habs on the dot was a treat. Right now the team is actually playing like a team. Please let this be a turning point in the fortunes of this club.

Oh and, I :heart: Craig Ramsay.

Well said, u took the words outta my mouth. I heckled so many Hab fans today, I killed the battery on my phone. In our area of Nova Scotia, we are surrounded by Leaf, Hab, and Bruin fans, but there are many of us that are Oiler fans.
Off to Boston next week to see our Oilers. Last week, I thought I would have to wear a bag over my head for the game. Now the chest is stuck out and I will be wearing the colors very proudly.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It would be nice if after 4 wins there wasn't a marauding army of Oiler fans on the main boards acting like we just won the cup.

we may not have won the cup but we still have to plan the parade homie

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
Record without Marincin 0-3-1
Record with Marincin 4-1, the loss being the 2-0 game against Van where they got an empty netter.

Whoever decided to send Marincin down should be fired. We would probably have 2 more wins right now if he was in the lineup from the start of the year.

Yes, Why would they send him down? He's looked good.

And also why not have the lineup set for you're last couple pre-season games to get some chemistry going and d-pairings gelling. The team didn't start playing good together until after the 4th regular season game. ;)

I like what i see though, improvement is all we ask for :handclap:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Feels good beating and pissing off these teams so that they go into Calgary the next night with a mission. Maybe facing a team on the second of back to back games isn't such a good thing for the Flames after all :)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yes, Why would they send him down? He's looked good.

And also why not have the lineup set for you're last couple pre-season games to get some chemistry going and d-pairings gelling. The team didn't start playing good together until after the 4th regular season game. ;)

I like what i see though, improvement is all we ask for :handclap:

Yep, definitely heading in the right direction. Still need to get some more production from the backend but its starting to come along.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

You mean that one thread where a couple Oiler fans said we would be in the playoffs if we were in the East?

The Horror!

Whatever, after the years of abuse this team, and this fanbase have gotten from the mainboards, I really don't care what our fans do there anymore.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You mean that one thread where a couple Oiler fans said we would be in the playoffs if we were in the East?

The Horror!

Whatever, after the years of abuse this team, and this fanbase have gotten from the mainboards, I really don't care what our fans do there anymore.

Yes. I mean a single topic and not the general level of boastfulness. Would you prefer an emoticon of eyes being rolled, or should I just say "eyeroll"?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
As an Oil fan, I agree with this and I am kind of getting tired of how much some people are playing up this western superiority angle. The difference between the two conferences exists, but it's because of the heavyweights in both conferences, the Oilers factor very little into the conversation. You take LA, ANH, CHI, STL and compare their rosters to BOS, PIT, MTL and NYR. That is where the difference comes in. That, and there are a few more teams in the middle of the pack that might have a better shot in the East than West.

The fact that we're 4-0 against the East is trivia, nothing more. It didn't suddenly justify that we're a good team, or superior to some of those teams we beat (TB, MTL, WAS). I would still put my money on all 3 of those teams over the Oil.

If it's (not so) friendly banter to annoy fans of the East, then I guess I'm OK with it because some of those fan bases deserve it for all the unnecessary piling on they've done to the Oil. But if some people actually believe we are superior to many of these teams because of the division we play in, yikes is all I will say. It would be like a midget in a biker gang, you're scared ****less of the biker gang, but are you really going to take the midget seriously?

resize.php

Be afraid...be very afraid.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The Horror!

The playoffs? We'd be up there with the Bruins and Penguins.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yes. I mean a single topic and not the general level of boastfulness. Would you prefer an emoticon of eyes being rolled, or should I just say "eyeroll"?

Big deal if a few Oiler fans are being boastful. Saying there is a "maurading army" is hyperbolic nonsense.

One Oiler fan stated that they'd be a playoff team in the East. One. People are just arguing that the West is more difficult than the East more than anything. I see people saying that we would be better in the East, but still have a long way to go. More people are downplaying our success than rejoicing in it.

Again, the horror!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad