Post-Game Talk: Oilers make it four straight wins, 3-0 over Habs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As an Edmontonian its nice to see the Oilers string together a few W's. Here's to a competitive Oiler team for the next decade ++.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not everything is sunshine and roses but this narrative about it being 'Eastern teams' so its not that impressive is silly.

Thats like saying a loss against Arizona or Calgary is expected because they are 'Western teams'.

Montreal, Washington and Tampa are good teams. The Oilers have beaten 3 good teams. To diminish that accomplishment by saying 'yeah but...they are from the East' is a little odd.

It makes little sense to paint ALL the teams in the East with the same brush just as it does to paint ALL of the teams in the West with the same brush. There just happens to be a few more potentially contending teams in the West.

If someone wants to say that they wont be impressed until they beat LA, San Jose, Anaheim or Chicago thats understandable.

That said it shouldn't at all diminish what the team has accomplished the last 4 games.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The top teams in the west are better than the top of the east. The bottom of the west are better than the bottom of the east. My opinion anyway.

Meanwhile, lets temporarily enjoy the fact that after the worst start in franchise history, there are 11 teams in the NHL right now with fewer points.

I agree that the West is the better conference, but there are some Oiler fans right now that are acting like any team from the East is a lessor team, and that is simply wrong. No doubt, our record would likely be better if we played in the east (especially due to the makeup of our team), but we have also been pretty fortunate to win some of these games. 3-0 does not reflect the play last night. We did a lot of things right in terms of taking away scoring chances, but Scrivens played amazing and they controlled more of the play. We capitalized on some breakdowns, they didn't. I'm not taking anything away from the Oil, guys like Hendricks and Gordon left everything out on the ice, and the game plan worked, but they controlled the play more than we did. Should we really be putting this team on a pedestal and talk down to the teams from the East?

Like I said, if its in response to fans from the East who unnecessarily pile on when the Oil are down, then its deserved, but if people actually think we are better than Tampa/Montreal/Washington, we're in for a rude awakening.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
lol @ the folks here blowing sunshine...if the EO lose the next game, guaranteed someone will be on here calling for Eakins head.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Had time to sit down and actually watch period 2 and 3 for once - boy was that ever fun. I thought Montreal didn't play awfully either. Galchenyuk and Gallagher both had moments of great pressure. The Wagon line was honestly phenomenal - they are doing more than just pulling their weight out there. It's so great to see 4 lines that all have something going on.

Unlike some, I am enjoying the heck out of this little win streak.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
lol @ the folks here blowing sunshine...if the EO lose the next game, guaranteed someone will be on here calling for Eakins head.

Yeah...why on earth would a fan base be happy about winning 4 games in a row?

There are going to be posters blathering on about Eakins any chance they get simply because they dont like him.

That doesnt mean that there shouldnt be some shared positivity about whats happened lately.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I'll save you the trouble. I'm happy with the win streak. I'd still take a coach like Terry Murray over Dallas Eakins in a heartbeat right this minute. And I'd feel the same way even if they win the next game.

And really the fans should enjoy this win streak, they deserve it. No fan base has put up with more **** than the Oilers fan base.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Does anyone know anything about this mystery eberle injury? Last night was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. I noticed a few atrocious plays in the first so kind of focused on him the rest of the game and he literally didn't do anything right the entire night it was sad. On the bright side they won in spite of it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
^in order for that to happen, the Oilers will have to continue to draft very well if you consider that as we get better, the picks in each round will get a little lower.

They definitely need to get some NHLers outside of the first round. Drafting has been pathetic.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yeah...why on earth would a fan base be happy about winning 4 games in a row?

There are going to be posters blathering on about Eakins any chance they get simply because they dont like him.

That doesnt mean that there shouldnt be some shared positivity about whats happened lately.

We should be happy. It's a four game win streak, regardless of who we've been playing. It's okay to be happy about it. The only thing is, we've been let down by this team, and had our hearts broken so many times. I won't blame people for being a bit reserved, as happy as I feel, it's hard to trust this team. And that's okay.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Does anyone know anything about this mystery eberle injury? Last night was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. I noticed a few atrocious plays in the first so kind of focused on him the rest of the game and he literally didn't do anything right the entire night it was sad. On the bright side they won in spite of it.

Eberle is always battling through a nagging injury. What a tough Canadian kid.

That Russian guy Yakupov is always lazy and just doesn't "get it."

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
For a guy who's been getting alot of criticism lately, I thought Petry played a great game last night. On numerous occassions, he was strong on the puck and made great clearing attempts.

I actually kinda liked Hunt's game last night too. Looked a bit shakey at times, but overall, I thought he moved the puck very well.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I was impressed with Pouliot last night. In his interview between periods he was saying that he had a tough start to the year, it sounded like he was alluding to an injury, so I wonder if he was playing hurt.

If he's not though, it kind of goes with what I thought about Pouliot all along. Play in games that mean something, or carry some sense of urgency, and he'll start hitting and playing big. Lose 5 in a row to start the year and look totally anemic, and he'll disappear.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Fayne has been lights out this season. So happy with this pick up.

Im happier with Marincin's play at this point, Fayne never got settled until paired with this kid. Either way they are both playing great right now, and is our best pairing by a far margin.

The outcome in the first 5 games would of been different with this pairing in place out of training camp.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

A few media people have speculated its a hand injury, as he doesnt have any zip on his shots at practice. I noticed the same thing in warm ups at a couple games.

I dont think the injury is a excuse for his bad play though, against the Habs he just wasnt good enough with the dumb turn overs. We seen the Eberle he can be the game before.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If this is looking like Ramsay's club now please tell me what purpose does Eakins serve?
Ramsay is 63 years old. He might not want the headaches of being a head coach anymore. Being an assistant under Eakins may just be the perfect fit for him. He can have tremendous input yet he isn't the guy in the spotlight. I wasn't convinced he was going to be the next head coach here other than on an interim basis only.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I rag on him all of the time, but petry was very good yesterday

Another good thing about winning. Gives Mac T more leverage in trade talks. Won't make him. Look too desperate

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
They definitely need to get some NHLers outside of the first round. Drafting has been pathetic.

Well Marincin's been fantastic.

And we do have LOTS of first round players that are panning out (Hall, Nuge, Yak, Ebs, Klefbom, Nurse, Drai)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Eberle has the second most points on the team for all the criticism coming his way.

Still an offensive trooper. I'm trying to mute my desire to rag on him, because of what he's done for this team, and it's pretty clear that there's something wrong with him. You don't lose your hands, play-making ability, and offensive capabilities at 24.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You may want to check that again. You do realize as well, I hope, that the numbers are different depending on whether you run those for East or West clubs.

As per last night the West is 25-15-5 in games against the East. That's pulling the numbers from WC club records.

The numbers are of course a little different if you pull from East club records.

I wonder if anybody erroneously stating the East has a better record knows why the numbers would be different..
I'm missing something here. Can you explain it? Why would there be such a discrepancy?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

********, he played his regular smart game in the offensive zone. I remember one point in particular where Hall took the puck into the corner and Nuge followed. They were battling two defenders and Nuge was about to lose it but Eberle had moved in to support, picked the puck up and quickly got it back to the point. We got a shot from the point which Tokarski smothered but Hall had moved around back and was closing out front and was there for a rebound. It was a simple quiet play but it was the right one and he read the situation correctly. Many others would have stayed out front waiting for a pass or slowly moved over and ended up not in a spot that could have affected the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad