Oilers lose to... who cares anymore.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for the reply. So not really objective then. Which is fine. We all have our favorites and players we don't like.

The difference is stating a player is a dirtbag is an opinion.

The reality is probably closer to that all passionate players that play the game really hard have moments in that time where some blood and guts is involved that maybe turn some heads. But in that part of hockey that tends to be the rule rather than the exception.
You won't show me many players that finish that many bone rattling checks and get in so many scrums or fights that haven't had some youtube moments. All of them would have.

But Doan is all that AND a very good player scoring 400 hard work goals in the toughest league in the world and lifting his club into the playoffs more years than it should have been.

3 times in the past 14 years?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Seriously Replacement? Ference was clearly joking about his finger being sore. Come on now, you didn't realize that? lol.

It's pretty simple. Doan seems like a great guy, is a really good player but is a dirty player at times. Everybody who watches him knows this, didn't even think it was a debate. Would I take him on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Would I take Backes on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Would I take Kesler on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Will I cheer Kassian and hope that he becomes a good player for the Oilers? Hell ****ing yeah.
Do these guys use dirty antics on the ice at times? Hell ****ing yeah.

From your previous posts and in context of a thread in which people are saying such things as " I would never want Doan on my team" it sounded like you were siding that way.
I do take exception to the Backes comparison. I can show you multiple videos where Backes is rabbit punching a guy that is already been held or part of a phoney tough Blues milieu where 3 Blues are attacking one player. Which happens often enough.

Doan doesn't need anybody fighting his battles and will square off with anybody providing it doesn't hurt his team. To that end a talented player like Doan will square off with a Dustin Brown, or a Getzlaf but would make little if any sense for him to be taking scrubs like Mike Brown on.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
3 times in the past 14 years?

A club with some ordinary lineups that shouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs most of those years.

Yotes have been a poor penny pinching club that is never all that deep. But theres been plenty of fight in that dog and the years and times they have made it they've been hard to play against.

For my money the year the Kings won their first SC Yotes were a solid opponent in that playoffs. Also the Yotes BEAT the dynastic Blackhawks that series to advance to the conference final.

Not that long ago either. 2012.

Also Doan has been in the playoffs 9 times in career on a team not really loaded with talent. Yotes again in the mix this year. You used some selective sample to come up with that 3/14.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A club with some ordinary lineups that shouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs most of those years.

Yotes have been a poor penny pinching club that is never all that deep. But theres been plenty of fight in that dog and the years and times they have made it they've been hard to play against.

For my money the year the Kings won their first SC Yotes were a solid opponent in that playoffs. Also the Yotes BEAT the dynastic Blackhawks that series to advance to the conference final.

Not that long ago either. 2012.

The Yotes were no match for the Kings. Then again nobody was.

I remember that Yotes/Hawks series. Atrocious goaltending from a then fresh Crawford.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Yotes were no match for the Kings. Then again nobody was.

I remember that Yotes/Hawks series. Atrocious goaltending from a then fresh Crawford.

Yeah nobody was a match for the Kings that year. The kings destroyed the Nucks, then swept the blues mopping up the ice with them.

Yotes at least won a game with Doan scoring two goals in that game and then took the Kings to OT in game 5 and controversially lost that game.

The series was played hard.

But again, in case you missed it, the Yotes BEAT the great BlackHawks that year. That's quite an accomplishment in itself. Think about how many teams have beat the Hawks in a playoff series in this decade.

Save you the trouble. VERY short list.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah nobody was a match for the Kings that year. The kings destroyed the Nucks, then swept the blues mopping up the ice with them.

Yotes at least won a game with Doan scoring two goals in that game and then took the Kings to OT in game 5 and controversially lost that game.

The series was played hard.

But again, in case you missed it, the Yotes BEAT the great BlackHawks that year. That's quite an accomplishment in itself. Think about how many teams have beat the Hawks in a playoff series in this decade.

Save you the trouble. VERY short list.

That's.. exactly what I said. Nobody was a match for them. Coyotes won Game 4 when the series was already over. Still no match for them.

Yeah the Yotes beat the Hawks. Again, Crawford was shoddy. Can't win with questionable goaltending. Don't forget that the Hawks lost to the Canucks the year prior.

Of course, only in the NHL playoffs does a 101 point team not have home ice advantage over a 97 point team.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
**** Doan. I can't believe some of you are actually defending this clown. Go watch how much he cries in the playoffs. He's a little *****

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
That's.. exactly what I said. Nobody was a match for them. Coyotes won Game 4 when the series was already over. Still no match for them.

Yeah the Yotes beat the Hawks. Again, Crawford was shoddy. Can't win with questionable goaltending. Don't forget that the Hawks lost to the Canucks the year prior.

Of course, only in the NHL playoffs does a 101 point team not have home ice advantage over a 97 point team.

i agree with you on the other stuf fbut this isnt true the 9-7 texans just hosted the 11-5 chiefs

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
**** Doan. I can't believe some of you are actually defending this clown. Go watch how much he cries in the playoffs. He's a little *****

And seriously, I bet Steve Kelly could still skate circles around him.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Gryba was in the box..that's the problem.

Not to keep flogging this horse, but I checked and the Oilers were on the PK for 4:40 total. Gryba was in the box once for 35 seconds. So that's not why he had such low PK minutes. The coaching staff are giving his minutes to Nurse and Schultz.

Put another way, the staff had Nurse on for 70% of the total PK time, Schultz was on for 52% and Gryba was on for 30% of the PK time (for which he was available). Let that sink in: JUSTIN SCHULTZ--the man for whom an entire word has been invented which means "playing horrible defensively"--is playing half of our PK minutes in that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad