Oilers lose to... who cares anymore.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Shane Doan 15 plus years of a major Oiler drafting mistake.

Yep.

Edmonton fans at the '95 draft in Edmonton chanting for them to take Central Albertan Shane Doan and they Draft Steve ****ing Kelly :rant:

The fans knew even then...

They also could have taken local boy and future HOF'er Jarome Iginla lol

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Who cares sums it up. I'm convinced this team can not go forward without a shakeup. I don't care until management gets serious.

Scary thing is you can see it happening again:
1. Team drops out of playoff race
2. McD et al come back
3. Team goes on late season run
4. Management thinks team is close
5. Shakeup doesn't happen. Couple minor moves are made.

I'm to the point of expecting this to happen more then any other scenario

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yep.

Edmonton fans at the '95 draft in Edmonton chanting for them to take Central Albertan Shane Doan and they Draft Steve ****ing Kelly :rant:

The fans knew even then...

They also could have taken local boy and future HOF'er Jarome Iginla lol

The Doan think is spot on

but no one and I mean no had iginla being as good as he was

The Blazers were one of the most heavily scouted team that year because of Doan and a few other guys on the team-(iggy)-his draft year his tag line "Heavily helped by his line mates"-- People saw the raw talent--but no one prected him to be as great as he is

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Seriously, WTF is Schultz doing? Does he think he's in a swimming pool or something? What a putrid d man.

Not to defend Schultz .... But he was going down to block the shot OEL faked. At the time this clip starts he is already beat, out-of-play and is just scrambling to do anything.

The part in which OEL embarrasses Schultz is about 0.5-1 s before that clip starts. Schultz ****ed on the fake shot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I guess I could've worded that better. I was thinking more of the young guys stepping up to seize an opportunity like Draisaitl did...Sekera has played better, but in my eyes he's only playing at the level he was expected to play at when we signed him over the summer, a solid #2 to #3 dman. Nobody in their wildest dreams were predicting that Draisaitl would not only be a PPG player in his sophomore campaign, but be one of the very top performers at EV in the entire NHL. THAT is stepping up.

And agreed about Fayne and Schultz. Their regressions have really hurt this team, a lot of people around here are outright hostile towards Schultz but I don't think anyone expected Fayne to fall this far out of favour. In his own way he's been nearly as soft as Schultz has been, without the modicum of offensive creativity that Schultz can bring when the wind is just right.

It was funny in the summer Lowetide had a blogger on and he suggested that the Oilers will have to improve their defense still and if they did do it during the year look at Fayne being dealt.

Lowetide kinda paused as did I thinking that would be quite shocking, but at his contract I could see teams wanting him and a pick/prospect for a guy that was better fit for us.

Never did I think that we'd be at the point where Fayne had zero value in the league.

On a sidenote someone on Gregor's show was mentioning that Schultz is being asked to do to much or trying to do to much. He has stopped jumping up and stopped any sort of creativity. The suggestion was maybe Schultz needs to be just let loose and not worry about defense.

Really what would you rather have. The current Justin Schultz that is slightly stronger and slightly smarter defensively, but is on pace for less than 20 points and a -30. Or would you rather have the guy that is a 30 point d-man and -20? Neither is really that great, but let the old Schultz get creative with this offensive core and maybe that 30 is closer to 35 or 40.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is not an opinion shared by many fans on this board, just need to say that and I would have Shane Doan on my team all these years gladly.
On the contrary, it seems to be shared by a lot of people if you read the thread.
People do realize that Doan probably does stuff like Make a Wish, pride parade, homeless center volunteer etc in Phoenix, right?
Our captain, who can't even skate at the NHl level anymore, has done nothing but suck up capspace since arriving in Edmonton (unless you consider beating up Monahan something to write home about), and has been the definition of a "fake ass player" most of his career is loved on this board because "he's a great guy in the community". Folks even suggesting he run for office.
Why wouldn't people realize Doan must have done ten times more for fans in the Phoenix area over his long career than Ference has for Edmonton. Guess maybe Doan doesn't support the right charities?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
On the contrary, it seems to be shared by a lot of people if you read the thread.
People do realize that Doan probably does stuff like Make a Wish, pride parade, homeless center volunteer etc in Phoenix, right?
Our captain, who can't even skate at the NHl level anymore, has done nothing but suck up capspace since arriving in Edmonton (unless you consider beating up Monahan something to write home about), and has been the definition of a "fake ass player" most of his career is loved on this board because "he's a great guy in the community". Folks even suggesting he run for office.
Why wouldn't people realize Doan must have done ten times more for fans in the Phoenix area over his long career than Ference has for Edmonton. Guess maybe Doan doesn't support the right charities?

I think most were talking about his on ice antics, not him as a person off the ice or his quality as a player.

I think a lot of people view him in the same vein as people view Backes. Seems like a great guy off the ice and a very good player but lots of dirty antics that sour a lot of peoples' opinion of them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think most were talking about his on ice antics, not him as a person off the ice or his quality as a player.

I think a lot of people view him in the same vein as people view Backes. Seems like a great guy off the ice and a very good player but lots of dirty antics that sour a lot of peoples' opinion of them.

So exactly the type of guy that the Oilers so desperately need?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Ference gave 20 000 paying fans, and millions of viewers at home the finger. That's pretty damn classy. He acted like a big man after he beat up Monahan. Tough and classy.

Seems to me that some posters were running down Doan's character. I'd say the fact that he stuck with the team that drafted him through years of nothing shows some character.

Pretty tough to imagine a world where Doan is somehow less than Ference. Maybe Oiler fans should avoid running down the captains on other teams. Its kind of embarrassing - especially when the target is a guy like Doan. Just my two cents. Of course I wasn't directing any of these comments at you.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

"On ice antics" Using the example that Harpoon gave of our illustrious captain Ference once gave the Montreal Canadiens fans a one finger salute. Gesturing at them with his index finger. He then had the audacity to lie about it saying his finger was sore and stuck in that position or some such nonsense. Really I can't even remember anything close to this with Doan.

Albeit the major difference for me is Doan has been a very good player, a franchise player, and Ference is an afterthought on teams.

Theres no balanced rationale that supports Oilers fans welcoming Ference with welcome arms (which most did and certainly not me) and fans presently saying they would never have wanted Doan.

its incomprehensible to me.

Also comparing Doan to Backes is ridiculous. Doan doesn't pick his spots and will engage with anybody that is trying to stir ****. With the proviso that Doan is the best player on his club and so of course doesn't spend all day going after hockey goons but he's tossed with the biggest opponents. Last season went with Getzlaf (who initiated and Doan won the fight) tuned Wheeler in, and had a serious go at Downie all this as Doan nears the twilight of his career which will have him turn 40 this year.

Anybody knocking Doan for antics should maybe show some respect for the supreme conditioning that would even allow a guy to play hard, fight, etc at his age. The guy is a ****ing thoroughbred. An uncanny athlete who works hard on the ice and off it and always has.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
lol, people lambasting Doan and happily patting an ass clown like Kassian on the back.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ference gave 20 000 paying fans, and millions of viewers at home the finger. That's pretty damn classy. He acted like a big man after he beat up Monahan. Tough and classy.

Seems to me that some posters were running down Doan's character. I'd say the fact that he stuck with the team that drafted him through years of nothing shows some character.

Pretty tough to imagine a world where Doan is somehow less than Ference. Maybe Oiler fans should avoid running down the captains on other teams. Its kind of embarrassing - especially when the target is a guy like Doan. Just my two cents. Of course I wasn't directing any of these comments at you.

Go take a peak at Doan's suspension history and watch more Coyotes games. To suggest that he's some kind of saint on the ice is buying into the media mantra wholesale.

When did Ference ever fight Monahan? Are you referring to the time that he kicked the **** out of Stempniak after he got shoulder shived by him moments earlier? Not sure what's wrong here. Both veteran players of the same size and Stempniak deserved it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Really what would you rather have. The current Justin Schultz that is slightly stronger and slightly smarter defensively, but is on pace for less than 20 points and a -30. Or would you rather have the guy that is a 30 point d-man and -20? Neither is really that great, but let the old Schultz get creative with this offensive core and maybe that 30 is closer to 35 or 40.

I'd rather have the latter because at least that guy would have some trade value around the league because you can always find some sucker GM who'll see a dman who's weak defensively but can put up 35-45 points and will say to himself "You know, nobody else has been able to tap his potential but I bet WE could! I could hit a home run here!"

This current Schultz who seems to be stuck between identities is just all sorts of vanilla. It reminds me a lot of Tom Poti's final year as an Oiler where his offensive confidence was gone, the fans hated him because he was a 6'3" creampuff who never hit anyone even by accident and he didn't do much of anything right.

I wonder if Schultz will follow Poti's trend where his game took off once he left the Edmonton fishbowl and was able to melt into the woodwork in big city America.

This city has a storied history over the past 20 years of souring on young US born college trained dmen (Poti, Gilbert, Petry, Schultz).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
at least Kassian doesn't pretend to be "Mr. Nice Guy" like Doan

Bingo.

We all know that Kassian is a dirt bag. I still hate him even though I'm glad that we finally have a guy that can provide physicality and be a distraction for the other team. It seems that every good team has one of these guys now a days.

Doan gets massaged every chance the media gets with the "class" narrative, which is definitely true off the ice. Doesn't change that he's a dirtbag on the ice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol, people lambasting Doan and happily patting an ass clown like Kassian on the back.

Yeah its odd. I'd have either on my team as stated but Doan is a complete hockey player that would have been the leader on this club for years.

have to lol at the narrative of Doan picking spots as well. He's gone with guys like Mitchell, Getzlaf that are the biggest forward giants in the game. Willy Mitchell scares me just looking at him. Mitchell being another player I wanted here when Roli suggested it back in the day.

plus people were seal clapping right on this board when Doan took out Dustin Brown or guys like Lapierre.

Fact of the matter is Doan has been a tough customer and has been invoved with a lot of other tough customers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Go take a peak at Doan's suspension history and watch more Coyotes games. To suggest that he's some kind of saint on the ice is buying into the media mantra wholesale.

When did Ference ever fight Monahan? Are you referring to the time that he kicked the **** out of Stempniak after he got shoulder shived by him moments earlier? Not sure what's wrong here. Both veteran players of the same size and Stempniak deserved it.

Hmm. Doan tends to get incited in games against some divisional opponents. Some of his actions against Kings, Ducks etc being legendary and trying to even the table against some of the biggest, meanest clubs there are.

Another play people loved here is when Doan annihilated Dustin Brown into the boards in the 2012 playoffs. That was in response to Brown taking liberties with Yotes players. Then Doan answered the bell as he usually does. Not like he goes hiding anywhere after stirring or responding.

Yotes/kings was a hell of a series. But really with Doan heavy lifting and having far less help in his lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Bingo.

We all know that Kassian is a dirt bag. I still hate him even though I'm glad that we finally have a guy that can provide physicality and be a distraction for the other team. It seems that every good team has one of these guys now a days.

Doan gets massaged every chance the media gets with the "class" narrative, which is definitely true off the ice. Doesn't change that he's a dirtbag on the ice.

I can't comprehend this at all. It sounds as if you're upset with Doan because good things get stated about him by the media. How on Earth is that a reason to hate somebody?

c'mon.

I think whats missing, significantly, in the face of this comparison and narrative is Doan has been the best player and the face of the franchise for three decades. Really probably the reason the Yotes have had fans remain all these years.

To say he's just a dirtbag. Wow.

Really what I think is going on on this board is sour grapes. Oilers fans, in order to get over Doan not being an Oiler have tried to convince themselves all these years of some kind of unpleasant narratives about Doan. Its really odd.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can't comprehend this at all. It sounds as if you're upset with Doan because good things get stated about him by the media. How on Earth is that a reason to hate somebody?

c'mon.

I think whats missing, significantly, in the face of this comparison and narrative is Doan has been the best player and the face of the franchise for three decades. Really probably the reason the Yotes have had fans remain all these years.

To say he's just a dirtbag. Wow.

I don't like Doan because of the cheap **** he does on the ice. The fact that the media gushes over how classy he is doesn't change that, it just annoys me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
"On ice antics" Using the example that Harpoon gave of our illustrious captain Ference once gave the Montreal Canadiens fans a one finger salute. Gesturing at them with his index finger. He then had the audacity to lie about it saying his finger was sore and stuck in that position or some such nonsense. Really I can't even remember anything close to this with Doan.

Albeit the major difference for me is Doan has been a very good player, a franchise player, and Ference is an afterthought on teams.

Theres no balanced rationale that supports Oilers fans welcoming Ference with welcome arms (which most did and certainly not me) and fans presently saying
its incomprehensible to me.they would never have wanted Doan.

Also comparing Doan to Backes is ridiculous. Doan doesn't pick his spots and will engage with anybody that is trying to stir ****. With the proviso that Doan is the best player on his club and so of course doesn't spend all day going after hockey goons but he's tossed with the biggest opponents. Last season went with Getzlaf (who initiated and Doan won the fight) tuned Wheeler in, and had a serious go at Downie all this as Doan nears the twilight of his career which will have him turn 40 this year.

Anybody knocking Doan for antics should maybe show some respect for the supreme conditioning that would even allow a guy to play hard, fight, etc at his age. The guy is a ****ing thoroughbred. An uncanny athlete who works hard on the ice and off it and always has.

Seriously Replacement? Ference was clearly joking about his finger being sore. Come on now, you didn't realize that? lol.

It's pretty simple. Doan seems like a great guy, is a really good player but is a dirty player at times. Everybody who watches him knows this, didn't even think it was a debate. Would I take him on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Would I take Backes on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Would I take Kesler on my team? Hell ****ing yeah.
Will I cheer Kassian and hope that he becomes a good player for the Oilers? Hell ****ing yeah.
Do these guys use dirty antics on the ice at times? Hell ****ing yeah.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't like Doan because of the cheap **** he does on the ice. The fact that the media gushes over how classy he is doesn't change that, it just annoys me.

Thanks for the reply. So not really objective then. Which is fine. We all have our favorites and players we don't like.

The difference is stating a player is a dirtbag is an opinion.

The reality is probably closer to that all passionate players that play the game really hard have moments in that time where some blood and guts is involved that maybe turn some heads. But in that part of hockey that tends to be the rule rather than the exception.
You won't show me many players that finish that many bone rattling checks and get in so many scrums or fights that haven't had some youtube moments. All of them would have.

But Doan is all that AND a very good player scoring 400 hard work goals in the toughest league in the world and lifting his club into the playoffs more years than it should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad