Oilers lose 6-1. Hendricks saves Eakins' job.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
The shots at Katz are pathetic.

The guy wants the Oilers to win just like any other fan.

Do you guys realize how rich he is? This is chump change to him.

It's not about the money involved, but the decisions he makes regarding management personal that people have a problem with. He's been overly patient with a management group that has been unsuccessful for a very long time and has a history of hiring ex Oilers when there may have been better outside options, these are very fair reasons to criticize him.

Jokes about his kid are pretty low though, but hey what do you expect on the internet.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Say this does continue right to the end of the year, and by divine intervention we win the McDavid sweepstakes, what happens to Nuge/Drai?
One will played third line? Trade one? Even if we get him, he's another small young forward with a bright future, and it won't change a damn thing the following year.

It's still pretty early but I couldn't help but wonder the same thing. Pittsburgh is the only team I could think of that had 3 top draft picks down the middle. It wouldn't be out of the question for the Oilers to do the same thing.

As sad as it would be for us to be in a position to draft McDavid, he's a more exciting prospect than any of the top picks we've had over the years. He would be worth getting excited about.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The fact is, we can talk till the cows come home about how much of a travesty it is that Petry wasn't in the lineup last night, even though I can distinctly recall many times last season where fans on here were bemoaning the fact that Petry was miscast as a 1st pairing dman, that he was being sent against opposition that he couldn't handle, that he made plenty of his own mistakes.

Him not being in contributed to the loss, but it wasn't a key contributor by any means. In a 6-1 humiliation, how much difference is he really going to make, if we're truly honest about it?

The far more worrying problem to me, is the mindset of the players. These are men that swore up and down that this year they were ready to make progress, ready to no longer be the doormats of the NHL. The young guys were ready to take control of this team and lead it into, if not playoff games, to at least playing meaningful games in the latter half of the season.

But what we've received is an 0-2-1 start, an embarrassing goal differential, and a team that walked into LA's home rink and played a 1st period that spoke volumes about how competitive they REALLY feel they are.

You can bring in all the talent in the world, all the top draft picks and Conner McDavid's or Hanifin's or whatever. It all will just swirl the drain if they don't have the belief that they can win against good teams. And the Oilers, injuries be damned, went into last night's game with 100% conviction that they had no chance of winning against the LA Kings.

A team that does not believe it can win, never will. And I have no bloody idea how you fix that, short of a complete purge of everything, from management on down...and even then, you're still stuck with the same owner, who is going nowhere anytime soon.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Normally when you play the best, you bring your best. Well we were missing some pieces, but did the guys who played forget how to compete?

I was so proud of Yak, watching him flying back to help on d.... it was a really awesome thing to see. That poor kid is trying so hard to play a game he loves.
he really was giving it a great effort. I wish the other young guys could feed off the energy he brings. He was made aware of some things to work on, and he did (so far)

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Connor McDavid is projected to be better than Steven Stamkos , so just allow that to sink in.

Do you really think that he'll reach that level in the Oilers organization though? RNH was supposed to be an elite playmaking center, Yak a 40 goal scorer. Hall is really the only one that has lived up to potential.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Ya I know. Because the 6th defenceman is the biggest problem on this team.

The problem is that it shows how out of touch the people making decisions are. You dress your best lineup and sitting your top defenseman because reasons shows you really don't understand how to ice a proper line up. What other poor decisions have they made just because? How do you get better when you can't even identify who your best players are?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Say this does continue right to the end of the year, and by divine intervention we win the McDavid sweepstakes, what happens to Nuge/Drai?
One will played third line? Trade one? Even if we get him, he's another small young forward with a bright future, and it won't change a damn thing the following year.

Did you watch the Canadian Olympic team? Most C's can play the wing just fine. Worst case scenario, you trade one of Nuge/Drai for a top pairing D.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Normally when you play the best, you bring your best. Well we were missing some pieces, but did the guys who played forget how to compete?

I was so proud of Yak, watching him flying back to help on d.... it was a really awesome thing to see. That poor kid is trying so hard to play a game he loves.
he really was giving it a great effort. I wish the other young guys could feed off the energy he brings. He was made aware of some things to work on, and he did (so far)

Mac T traded for players that have a good compete level. You can't accuse guys like Gordon, Hendricks, Perron, etc for not competing. The problem is talent, defensive ability, being able to keep up and skate, scoring, yadda yadda.

The Oilers aren't playing their best players on the back end, they look overwhelmed. Its hard to stay positive during a game when its all over in the first 5 or 10 minutes, or its all over after a good effort where 2 quick goals kill your team based on a defensive breakdown.

I would never accuse a guy like Hall of not having a decent compete level, but think about how frustrated you are as a fan watching this debacle, how do you think the players feel? Its hard to keep this level of suck and care game after game.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I was at the hospital and missed most of the game last night, and I can't bring myself to watch the pvr...

How did Yak2 and Nurse look? From the bit I saw Nurse looked like a jr guy trying really hard and Yak2 was doing the right things, just one step behind. Both overmatched but almost ready. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Connor McDavid is projected to be better than Steven Stamkos , so just allow that to sink in.

I doubt he will be better than Stamkos.

Also if Stamkos was on the oilers right now, chances are he isn't anywhere near the player he is today. Let that sink in.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
At some point the Oilers players have to learn to dump and chase properly and finish there checks....the entire night the Kings were able to dump the puck in, finish there checks, retrieve the puck when there was no off the rush option available.......made our dmen Rush plays and our entire team timid with the puck knowing they were going to be hit.....sometimes you just need to dump the puck into the corner and wear out the defence ....teams have way to much time and space against the oilers and they know it.....there is no consistent fear of getting hit when you play the oilers so players have that extra second to make a play....and at the NHL level that's all you need.......it would be nice if the boys figured out if the dmen are stepping up to make hits, then dump the puck...or to dump it into the dmans corner and finish your check hard every now and then....especially if they just tried to hit you....it's called taking a number...... Can you imagine if Hall dumped it in Doughtys corner a couple times a game and tried to run him thought the boards......doughty might think twice about stepping up on him

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Do you really think that he'll reach that level in the Oilers organization though? RNH was supposed to be an elite playmaking center, Yak a 40 goal scorer. Hall is really the only one that has lived up to potential.

Not surprised at all because you could combine Yakupov's and RNH's draft hypes and Taylor Hall's draft hype was still more.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I was at the hospital and missed most of the game last night, and I can't bring myself to watch the pvr...

How did Yak2 and Nurse look? From the bit I saw Nurse looked like a jr guy trying really hard and Yak2 was doing the right things, just one step behind. Both overmatched but almost ready. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

Thought they both settled in Nurse confidently skated the puck out of danger a few times...hit whenever he had the chance...got hiss shot through and made some nice passes.....Yak2 was strong on the puck, but seems hesitant to shoot and tried to pass off when he had a god scoring chance

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
The fact is, we can talk till the cows come home about how much of a travesty it is that Petry wasn't in the lineup last night, even though I can distinctly recall many times last season where fans on here were bemoaning the fact that Petry was miscast as a 1st pairing dman, that he was being sent against opposition that he couldn't handle, that he made plenty of his own mistakes.

Him not being in contributed to the loss, but it wasn't a key contributor by any means. In a 6-1 humiliation, how much difference is he really going to make, if we're truly honest about it?

The far more worrying problem to me, is the mindset of the players. These are men that swore up and down that this year they were ready to make progress, ready to no longer be the doormats of the NHL. The young guys were ready to take control of this team and lead it into, if not playoff games, to at least playing meaningful games in the latter half of the season.

But what we've received is an 0-2-1 start, an embarrassing goal differential, and a team that walked into LA's home rink and played a 1st period that spoke volumes about how competitive they REALLY feel they are.

You can bring in all the talent in the world, all the top draft picks and Conner McDavid's or Hanifin's or whatever. It all will just swirl the drain if they don't have the belief that they can win against good teams. And the Oilers, injuries be damned, went into last night's game with 100% conviction that they had no chance of winning against the LA Kings.

A team that does not believe it can win, never will. And I have no bloody idea how you fix that, short of a complete purge of everything, from management on down...and even then, you're still stuck with the same owner, who is going nowhere anytime soon.

Sadly I have to agree. Petry would not have turned the game around last night. The team beat themselves before it ever started. They were convinced they had no chance and played like it. Hell even the media were predicting a whipping.
Question is, how do you change that mindset? I believe that the Calgary game was pivotal for them. Win and they would have started out the season believing in themselves which could very well have led to a different outcome in Vancouver. But lose to the Flames in the fashion they did and I think it tore down their fragile idea's of any change they thought might be coming.
I'm not one to bash the coach for any old reason but against Calgary he absolutely must settle them down after the first goal in the 3rd and make sure they kept their composure. That falls on Eakins and somewhat onto Ferrence's shoulders.

As to last nights performance, maybe Petry sitting wasn't Eakins idea. If there is a trade on the table maybe he was told to pull him out of the lineup. Same for Eberle, seems odd that he's already too banged up to play after only 2 games. Brad Hunt is not ready to play in the NHL, and why was Nurse over on the half boards for 2 LA goals?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
At some point the Oilers players have to learn to dump and chase properly and finish there checks....the entire night the Kings were able to dump the puck in, finish there checks, retrieve the puck when there was no off the rush option available.......made our dmen Rush plays and our entire team timid with the puck knowing they were going to be hit.....sometimes you just need to dump the puck into the corner and wear out the defence ....teams have way to much time and space against the oilers and they know it.....there is no consistent fear of getting hit when you play the oilers so players have that extra second to make a play....and at the NHL level that's all you need.......it would be nice if the boys figured out if the dmen are stepping up to make hits, then dump the puck...or to dump it into the dmans corner and finish your check hard every now and then....especially if they just tried to hit you....it's called taking a number...... Can you imagine if Hall dumped it in Doughtys corner a couple times a game and tried to run him thought the boards......doughty might think twice about stepping up on him

Dumping and chasing is a thing of the past. The best teams at possession like chicago, and the kings have talented skaters at all positions who can skate the puck in the zone and possess it.

This team relies on a few adept skaters to do that , and those skaters rarely ever get proper support.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Thanks!

Thought they both settled in Nurse confidently skated the puck out of danger a few times...hit whenever he had the chance...got hiss shot through and made some nice passes.....Yak2 was strong on the puck, but seems hesitant to shoot and tried to pass off when he had a god scoring chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad