Oilers lose 6-1. Hendricks saves Eakins' job.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I honestly don't know how much more I can take of this. I'm so sick and tired of losing. Can't imagine that locker room feels better

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Let's be honest aside from the miracle cup run that duo struggled before 2006 as well. They were missing the playoffs half the time and getting bounced in the first round. 2006 saved their jobs IMO.

Take out the magical cup run and I didn't think Mact was that good and he was coach for what, 8 years? Wasn't that a record? It took him way too long to step down, and katz probably told him to bow out for a few years. Considering that I bet we're stuck with Lowe and Mact for many more years.

That being said I like Mact as a gm more than a coach even though he's been mind bogglingly blind to the centre situation. We need a new coach ASAP, Eakins is terrible, maybe worse than Quinn.

Oh yeah, they were terrible, and ridiculously unprofessional to boot. The Christmas day practices and the Comrie affair(he resigned in edm like a week after Mact left) to name a couple.

A lot of current Oiler fans weren't fans of the franchise prior to the cup run though. They don't remember Mact losing the room in the first two years as coach(prompting a bunch of popular players getting shipped out), the never ending downgrade trades for magic beans(behavior that continued after the lockout), and a team that steadily got worse the more time Mact/Lowe had to put their stamp on the core that Sather put together. They remember the cup run though, and that has given the duo of suck far more rope with which to hang themselves than they ever should have had.

Not sure why you'd be a fan of Mact as Gm though. In addition to attaching his ego the Eakins hire, the only thing he seems interested in acquiring is mediocre yet expensive wingers(Clarkson offer, Purcell, Pouliot, Hendrick). The best of his acquisitions is Perron, another winger who doesn't address any of the Oilers crippling issues at center and defense.

Speaking of defense - Larsen, Grebeshkov, Belov, Nikitin, Ference, Hunt, Fayne, Fraser acquired, Smid given away for nothing, Petry on the verge of getting shipped out for picks <-- if that is not a list that scares you going forward when it comes to Mactavish's ability to assess defensive talent and put together a successful defensive core... it really should.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I honestly don't know how much more I can take of this. I'm so sick and tired of losing. Can't imagine that locker room feels better

It doesn't matter how much the Fans ''can't take the losing'' the Oilers are going to be a bad team for a while and it doesn't matter if the Fans are angry.

Learn to accept it.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I ain't even mad anymore...

I figured it would be a lopsided loss (not that lopsided, but still...), didn't watch the game, and checked the final score after the game with ambivalence.

This is the modern state of being an Oilers fan.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
rock-bottom-o.gif

It took longer for this gif to load than it took for the Oilers to dash my hopes for this season.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
About what was to be expected. I sure am glad Hunt is on the team and Petry was sat over Ference. Genius Eakins...

I watched 1st period but passed out due to 4hr time difference. What I saw was that Hunt sucks. He got dangled a few times and cannot keep up with the play. Nurse looked good to me so that will get him sent down. Maybe if we go 0-19 they will get rid of Eakins.
We really have to think about trading a core peace. Eberle is the one I figure.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
“I don’t care anymore what the Oilers management says, what they think, or what they project,†he said during the show. “It’s time for some results. No more about, ‘Oh, we’ve got these good young players.’ I don’t care anymore. It’s been too long, it’s been too dysfunctional, it’s been too bad. It’s now time for some results

“it has to get better. And if it doesn’t, I don’t know where they turn because it’s pretty clear that they can’t break the mould from the management group that has been there for 100 years.â€

Ray Ferraro, 2014

Everyone in the league knows what the problem is, save Katz.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
How many teams in the NHL can win without their top pairing on defense? That is what the Oilers willingly chose to do last night. Arguably the team's best LD is sitting in the AHL and their best RD is a healthy scratch. Absolutely mind-boggling that these are the type of decisions management and coaching think make the team better.

Last edited:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
“I don’t care anymore what the Oilers management says, what they think, or what they project,†he said during the show. “It’s time for some results. No more about, ‘Oh, we’ve got these good young players.’ I don’t care anymore. It’s been too long, it’s been too dysfunctional, it’s been too bad. It’s now time for some results

“it has to get better. And if it doesn’t, I don’t know where they turn because it’s pretty clear that they can’t break the mould from the management group that has been there for 100 years.â€

Ray Ferraro, 2014

Everyone in the league knows what the problem is, save Katz.

I love Ferraro's honesty. Really respect his opinions.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It's the Chicago model guys. We just need to wait until Katz dies and his kid takes over and boom, Stanley Cup.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Eakins post game - "as the game went on, I thought we started to even up the game. Not score wise, but play wise."

There is the coach, he thinks when the other team wins the game in the first period and cruises at 25% effort he rest of the way; that the Oilers managed to even out the play on the ice.

Wish it was a fake quote, but it isn't.

Good lord. No way he can actually believe that right? He played pro hockey for goodness sakes, and it was obvious to anyone with even the slightest bit of hockey knowledge that the Kings were coasting.

Who does he think he is fooling? The players? The press?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It would almost be more believable to think Eakins is trolling Mac T by resting Petry, just to show him what our D would be like.

Why not ship out guys like Hall and Eberle at this point? Get some fresh blood in here, gear up for McDavid or Eichel. Get a top d-man.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Katz doesnt listen to the fans, as long as he is making money he doesnt care. he is going to care really soon when taylor hall demands to be traded. the kid is competitor who keeps getting put in a position to fail. you can only care so long before you say eff it. im out.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
This is getting tiresome. Might not tune in tonight. I'll probably check the score after the first. Go team go...

Oct 15, 2008
Good lord. No way he can actually believe that right? He played pro hockey for goodness sakes, and it was obvious to anyone with even the slightest bit of hockey knowledge that the Kings were coasting.

Who does he think he is fooling? The players? The press?

The fans.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
How many teams in the NHL can win without their top pairing on defense? That is what the Oilers willingly chose to do last night. Arguably the team's best LD is sitting in the AHL and their best RD is a healthy scratch. Absolutely mind-boggling that these are the type of decisions management and coaching think make the team better.

Rishaug ran through the decision-making process pretty thoroughly on the Gregor show yesterday:

Ference- Can't scratch your captain. Makes the organization look stupid.

Fayne- Can't scratch your prize free agent. Makes the organization look stupid.

Nikita- Can't scratch your prize free agent. Makes the organization look stupid.

Schultz- Can't scratch your prize free agent. Makes the organization look stupid.

Hunt- only guy who looked any good in Vancouver, forced you to keep him in the lineup for at least one more game.

Nurse- Can't leave your blue-chip guy in the pressbox, makes your organization look stupid.

Petry- You've already decided to piss away this asset so what's one more stupid decision?

You know what didn't once factor into any of those decisions? 'What gives us the best chance of winning'

This organization is so lost, its not even funny anymore. And what's the net result of trying to justify all these layers of horrible decisions? ... you made your organization look stupid.

Gambl0r83*

I wanted Vigneault when he left Vancouver. He even hinted he liked the Oilers potential in the post game interviews of the last couple games we played against them that year. Look what he did in New York, and look what happened to Vancouver. Instead they fire the only coach to ever bring us closer to the playoffs since 2006, and hire the coach that our farm team coach pwned on most nights in the AHL.
I've been defending the Oilers all summer against the swarm of negativity that poisons the fanbase, but boy, if this coach remains, the swarm will consume all

Gambl0r83*

Say this does continue right to the end of the year, and by divine intervention we win the McDavid sweepstakes, what happens to Nuge/Drai?
One will played third line? Trade one? Even if we get him, he's another small young forward with a bright future, and it won't change a damn thing the following year.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Team is still too soft. Just getting bodied out there through 3 games. Not even close to good enough

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Say this does continue right to the end of the year, and by divine intervention we win the McDavid sweepstakes, what happens to Nuge/Drai?
One will played third line? Trade one? Even if we get him, he's another small young forward with a bright future, and it won't change a damn thing the following year.

Connor McDavid is projected to be better than Steven Stamkos , so just allow that to sink in.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I give up. I don't care anymore. Nothing is going to change. No will be fired. Top 5 pick already in the bag.

It's over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad