Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 4-1

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lander is done as far as I'm concerned. He's had every chance the last while to score, and he's done nothing.

For a guy that is supposed to be so defensively responsible and a hard worker, he's sure made quite a few defensive errors and lazy plays the last few games. Not sure what the hell he was thinking on the PK when he retreated and allowed Barrie time to walk in and snipe.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lander is done as far as I'm concerned. He's had every chance the last while to score, and he's done nothing.

For a guy that is supposed to be so defensively responsible and a hard worker, he's sure made quite a few defensive errors and lazy plays the last few games. Not sure what the hell he was thinking on the PK when he retreated and allowed Barrie time to walk in and snipe.

Pretty much another Jason Krog/Alex Giroux....can score in A but sucks when playing for the big club.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
WHY THE **** IS RYAN SMYTH STILL ON OUR ROSTER?

Everything else you can somewhat justify. This is just absurd. If I'm a player why am I sacrificing my body in meaningless games to play with Ryan ****ing Smyth

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
WHY THE **** IS RYAN SMYTH STILL ON OUR ROSTER?

Everything else you can somewhat justify. This is just absurd. If I'm a player why am I sacrificing my body in meaningless games to play with Ryan ****ing Smyth

Do I detect a note of frustration in your post?

If you look at Parkatti's blog, you'll see that Ryan Smyth, Sam Gagner, and David Perron got completely owned last night. Just a laughably bad performance, and Smyth's fanboys don't even have Gazdic to blame it on.

Part of the problem here is the coach. Not a single player on that line can skate, and only Perron has above average skills with the puck.

If Eakins' "accountability" mantra has any merit, both Gagner and Smyth will be benched the next game. That was easily one of the worst performances we've seen all year from a line, but instead of seeing the pressbox, they'll both get prime minutes on the power play.

That's how we role in Edmonton.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think Roy's "magic" could wear off rather quickly...but...I think an emotional tyrant is a good style of coach to have sometimes. It is precisely why I advocated for Chris Therrien to be the next Coach of the Oilers...over the past TWO hires they actually made here.

Same here. Not to belittle what Roy's managed to pull off and kudos to him for exceeding all expectations, but he keeps reminding me of Jacques Demers. Guys like that are usually good for a 1-2 year shot in the arm, but after that the act starts to wear thin.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Do I detect a note of frustration in your post?

If you look at Parkatti's blog, you'll see that Ryan Smyth, Sam Gagner, and David Perron got completely owned last night. Just a laughably bad performance, and Smyth's fanboys don't even have Gazdic to blame it on.

Part of the problem here is the coach. Not a single player on that line can skate, and only Perron has above average skills with the puck.

If Eakins' "accountability" mantra has any merit, both Gagner and Smyth will be benched the next game. That was easily one of the worst performances we've seen all year from a line, but instead of seeing the pressbox, they'll both get prime minutes on the power play.

That's how we role in Edmonton.

Gagner was a PPG player yesterday. He's the awesomest.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Same here. Not to belittle what Roy's managed to pull off and kudos to him for exceeding all expectations, but he keeps reminding me of Jacques Demers. Guys like that are usually good for a 1-2 year shot in the arm, but after that the act starts to wear thin.

I don't understand why people still think Roy has lead this team with an emotional outburst. Roy has been the epitome of being even keel. His ability to keep things positive when any kind of negativity arises is second to none. It is why Joe Sakic ultimately hired him. Roy also hired Allaire to become our goaltending coach so as to ensure our goaltending will be good. Roy also is a master tactician. There is nothing that he does that suggests to me that his act will wear thin. As far as I am concerned, Roy can stay with the Avalanche as long as he wants.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think a huge factor in setting the bar for a rookie Head Coachs' team is that first impression made in the first few weeks of the campaign.

Roy...is the epitome of fearlessness, his reputation precedes him and he is renowned for being borderline crazy. The man is terrifying in any kind of intense environment. Everyone already knew what kind of coach he was because of his antics in the Q'. He actually had to tone down to become an NHL Coach...and yet...he was scaling the glass in his first game on the bench!

Like I said...terrifying. And renowned.

Eakins? Pffft. Nobody knew jack squat about him. He makes a point to try and put a brave/tough/determined front on...but...nobody's intuitive grasp/alarm on these virtues ever really rings off the hook. He simply doesn't "pop" the way Roy does.

I think Roy's "magic" could wear off rather quickly...but...I think an emotional tyrant is a good style of coach to have sometimes. It is precisely why I advocated for Chris Therrien to be the next Coach of the Oilers...over the past TWO hires they actually made here.

I think a lot of people have a completely wrong picture about Roy, he's a players coach, he was like that in the Q and he's the same way right now, his players can always be sure that he has their back no matter what, the whole glass pushing business was just that, his 18 year old rookie got hit with a dirty hit and he went ballistic (he admitted it was a calculated move to show the players he's behind them), he always talks about how every player has to have a role on the team so that they can fill valuable because that makes them play harder, he doesn't make difference between a guy like Duchene or a guy like Bordeleau, if you do your job the right way you'll get rewarded for it, he preaches accountability and holds his players to it and most importantly he often says that there shouldn't be a divide between coaches and players, they're all in it together and everyone can come to him and talk with him whenever they want to.

It's no coincidence that every player (VlaÅ¡ić spoke highly of him earlier this season, Radulov said he'd swim the ocean if Roy comes calling etc) who played for him in the Q loves him.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It is really a different game watching up in the press box last night.

Was the game boring? Or was that just my take up there?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It is really a different game watching up in the press box last night.

Was the game boring? Or was that just my take up there?

Eh, yeah.

Lacked physicality and intensity.

Avs kind of outplayed us in every aspect, but there was no real push back. We didn't force anything but bad passes and toedrags.

That being said, I'm sure if you ask Finland about Canada's Soci Olympic team they'd say the same thing, so eh.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 8m
#Oilers Boyd Gordon out for the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury. The injury isn't too serious per HC Dallas Eakins

Looks like Lander will get a shot at #3C.

Which means Smyth as #2LW.

Ugh.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Gagner NEEDS to be moved this summer. After 7 years, its clear that he is not helping this team progress at all. Its really too bad we didn't trade him last season when his value was a bit higher and before he signed that contract.

Thank god for PVR.. i finished the whole game in less than 45 minutes.

It really is a godsend isn't it? Can watch 2 games a night with ease. 1 with a 2 real teams playing each other, then the Oilers and whoever is going to take them to the woodshed.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Eh, yeah.

Lacked physicality and intensity.

Avs kind of outplayed us in every aspect, but there was no real push back. We didn't force anything but bad passes and toedrags.

That being said, I'm sure if you ask Finland about Canada's Soci Olympic team they'd say the same thing, so eh.

Yeah just was curious, it was my first game that high up. Usually in the lower level where the game is really fast.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Wooooo! Calgary is 10 points up on us. If that doesn't say complete incompetence I don't know what does.

Dan Tencer guaranteed around the 30-40 game mark that we would place better than Calgary this season :laugh:

I'm sure Stauffer did as well. Wooooo! Bring on year 5 of the rebuild boys!! Calgary looks to have a head start on us in year 1, I think we can close that gap to 5 points next year :D

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It really is a godsend isn't it? Can watch 2 games a night with ease. 1 with a 2 real teams playing each other, then the Oilers and whoever is going to take them to the woodshed.

I prefer the fast forward 4x functions on my PVR for Oiler games:laugh:

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
First game of the season I've been to.. Have been asked a bunch of times but have had no interest in watching this debacle. I am pretty shocked at how bad they actually are. Few people tried to get a "Fire Lowe" chant going which just ended up being weird and awkward. This team has a LONG way to go before being competitive.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
  • Needed the loss
  • Hall learns a bit about Johnson's habits
  • Might be Smyths last few kicks at the can
  • Wanted to see how Lander looks on the third (as usual looked good but no results)

On a side note
  • No way they let Stasny go. They'll give him over 7 mil
  • Third and fourth lines are improving
  • Still not hot on Petry
  • Not hot on Boyd Gordon
  • Pinizzotto looks decent
  • Larsen looks decent

That simply will not happen and it's more than likely Stastny takes a pay cut to stay in Denver. He's said he is sick of the losing years and wants to be part of a winning organization, the Avs are on the upswing now and he wants to be a part of that. He and Roy have spoken all season about his role both now and in the future on this team, and they seem to be on the same page.

Also, living in Edmonton I get to see Eakins a lot. However, why do Oilers fans think that Patrick Roy and his so called "magic" is going to wear off? What magic? I'll admit this team has exceeded expectations this season, but it's not like I didn't see them making the playoffs and finishing in the top 3. Granted, I had them finishing 3rd in the division, but I didn't have them missing the playoffs and I definitely don't have them "tanking" next year. Fact is this team was coached for 4 seasons by a man who had no idea how to do his job and was absolutely hated by players, and the team was managed by a man who was living in the past and wouldn't let anyone help him (Joe Sacco and Pierre Lacroix). This team is on the upswing permanently in my eyes for the next 10+ years. Roy is a players coach, and the players love him. There's no "magic" in that

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This post is funny because not a single game since September has been important and yet we all still pick every game apart like they do.

First point: I believe this game was at LEAST equal part Col playing well and Oilers playing bad.

Bad: RNH, Scrivens (sorta), Gagner, Smyth, Schultz, Petry, Lander, and Eakins of course. On fan appreciation night of all night I would of liked to see more fight from the guys.

But Colorodo is one of the very few teams we have faced recently to give it 100% as well. Most team have been mailing in their efforts from either well out of the playoffs or well into the playoff picture.

I know we have injuries but really I think last nights game is a snap shot into next year. Against any decent opponent that plays hard against us we will ALWAYS lose short of a 59 save SO from our goaltending.

That game hopefully was another smack upside Mac T's/Lowe's head that things are not good and most likely not to get any better any time soon.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Also, living in Edmonton I get to see Eakins a lot. However, why do Oilers fans think that Patrick Roy and his so called "magic" is going to wear off? What magic? I'll admit this team has exceeded expectations this season, but it's not like I didn't see them making the playoffs and finishing in the top 3. Granted, I had them finishing 3rd in the division, but I didn't have them missing the playoffs and I definitely don't have them "tanking" next year. Fact is this team was coached for 4 seasons by a man who had no idea how to do his job and was absolutely hated by players, and the team was managed by a man who was living in the past and wouldn't let anyone help him (Joe Sacco and Pierre Lacroix). This team is on the upswing permanently in my eyes for the next 10+ years. Roy is a players coach, and the players love him. There's no "magic" in that

So the answer to the question of "what is driving Colorado's unsustainably high shooting and save percentages?" is "LOVE."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To oilersfan11 (or whatever), unlike Seguin, Hall hasn't had good teams around him. So no offense but I SERIOUSLY doubt Seguin would do similarly to Hall here.

No PP
No D

If we had both of those I suspect Hall would quite easily be a 90pt player. Hell if Hall had the same PP production from the same quality PP as the last 2 years, he'd be sitting at about 85 pts right now in 73 games.
What all the guys that are praising Seguin and knocking Hall at the same time seem to forget is that Seguin has had top notch NHL coaching for 4 years. Taylor Hall hasn't had anything that's resembled NHL coaching in his career. I don't think Seguin would have accomplished anything close to what Hall has done here under these circumstances if we would have drafted him instead. What would Hall's career look like if the Bruins had drafted him? My guess is the fans would have burned down the Oiler's offices.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Don't the Oilers always crap the bed on fan appreciate night? Woulda been great to see all the fans gone at the end of the game and the Oiler players having no fans left to give the sticks to. Or the fans throwing the sticks back on the ice.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Stay tuned for another year of Smyth playing above the 4th line next year.

Because Oilers.
Smyth on the power play, looking for that record breaking goal, is starting to remind me of Bernie Mac in Mr 3000. I hope like hell he gets it the final two games or he might be back to try it again next year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't often post on other teams boards, especially after a loss, but I thought I'd maybe take a stab at this.

To me it seems like Roy is almost like a dad to the Avs young kids. He appears like he would do anything for them, and inspires so much confidence by allowing them to make mistakes. He also seems very protective of them, often calling out other players and teams publicly in defence of hits on the players (See Lovejoy, Backes, Hitchcock, Boudreau, etc). Likewise, when the Avs beat writer asks questions or writes articles that put Avs players in a negative light, Roy calls out the reporter too.

I may be off the mark here, but Eakins seems more like an obnoxious step-dad who thinks he needs to remold his "new kids" behaviour. Wants to change their habits and attitudes, and will use tough love to do it. As a result, players aren't buying in a whole lot from him, and often just tune him out.

One is like family, who you would do anything for, the other you couldn't wait to be away from. I doubt Roy is any better of a tactician than Eakins, even though his systems have taken the Avs pretty far this year. I think he just has an ability to bring out the best in the Avs young players.

Anyways, best of luck the rest of the season, as well as with the draft. Hopefully you guys get the player you were hoping for.
Interesting post. I think you nailed both coaches correctly. The big contrast for me is that Roy protects his players and goes out of his way to defend them while Eakins hasn't stuck up for a player yet. In addition to that he's thrown a couple guys under the bus to protect himself. The closest we've seen Eakins come to defending the team was earlier in the season when he publicly went after Lars Eller. Eller said the team played like a junior team at times which, if anything, was a shot at the coaching and not necessarily at the players. Eakins was frothing at the mouth over that one. Up until the water bottle incident, that's really the only time we've seen emotion from Eakins all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad