Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 4-1

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
How do we get last change and still manage to have our top line against Johnson the whole night? Just pathetic coaching.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Back from Mile One and watched the Bulldogs play. Hamilton lost 3-1 and Dubnyk let in a point shot. He wasn't that good. So, cheer up guys!

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Down to 2 games for Both Florida and Edmonton:

Edmonton Oilers 65 Pts:

Thu, 10 Apr 2014 Kings Oilers
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 Canucks Oilers

Florida Panthers 64 Pts:

Thu Apr 10, 2014 Maple Leafs Panthers
Sat Apr 12, 2014 Blue Jackets Panthers

Oct 30, 2011

Edmonton Oilers 65 Pts:

Florida Panthers 64 Pts:

anything can happen!

what excitement...

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Understood that the Oilers weren't playing all that great to start the game, but I can't help but wonder what would've happened if Petry hadn't let himself get embarrassed for that 2nd goal. It was an absolute dagger to give up, you could visibly see the team sag after that.

That being said, they should've shown more fight than that. Tonight they just looked a half step behind all night long.

Credit to the Avs though, they looked nothing like the team the Oilers laid an 8 goal beating on earlier this year.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

Edmonton Oilers 65 Pts:

Florida Panthers 64 Pts:

ease up, man, it doesn't matter any more. we won't finish any worse than 4th pick in this draft. by the looks of it, any of those guys are more than welcome here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
as someone said, the Avs play how the Oilers WISH they played...faster, deeper, grittier and more skilled

they didn't even have Duchene or PAP and they still clowned us

Mackinnon, Statsny and Landeskog > Hall, Eberle, RNH tonight

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
To oilersfan11 (or whatever), unlike Seguin, Hall hasn't had good teams around him. So no offense but I SERIOUSLY doubt Seguin would do similarly to Hall here.

No PP
No D

If we had both of those I suspect Hall would quite easily be a 90pt player. Hell if Hall had the same PP production from the same quality PP as the last 2 years, he'd be sitting at about 85 pts right now in 73 games.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
And all the good feelings I had after last game are dashed.

Ugly to watch tonight.

Yeah.

Me too.

Just got outplayed as a team. We didn't force anything but risky plays and dangles. We didn't work hard physically like we did against Anaheim, we didn't push the tempo of the game, we supported the puck poorly (unlike against Anaheim), we turned over the puck a lot, and we had no secondary scoring chances in around the net.

We pretty well laid down. The Avs were better prepared. No matter when, if you froze the play the Av's have more jerseys in the screen than the Oilers. All the puck battles were 2 on 1 affairs for the ducks.

We just needed to work harder. We needed to be a better team. We needed to force things aside from toe drags and impossible passes through sticks and we didn't. The Avs didn't give us anything, and we gave them lots.

Deflating game.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Understood that the Oilers weren't playing all that great to start the game, but I can't help but wonder what would've happened if Petry hadn't let himself get embarrassed for that 2nd goal. It was an absolute dagger to give up, you could visibly see the team sag after that.

That being said, they should've shown more fight than that. Tonight they just looked a half step behind all night long.

Credit to the Avs though, they looked nothing like the team the Oilers laid an 8 goal beating on earlier this year.

Petry was clearly brutalized on that play.

I also noticed RNH not really doing much to close the gap or help out and he was guilty of the same thing in the 3rd period.

That's what happens when the Coach allows the kids to play out the string padding their stats.

This last few weeks...there hasn't really been any evidence at all of the group getting together and making a commitment to get better defensively and that's what worries me the most...not just for next season...but pretty much...forever...as far as the "core" of this "rebuild" is concerned.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Petry was clearly brutalized on that play.

I also noticed RNH not really doing much to close the gap or help out and he was guilty of the same thing in the 3rd period.

That's what happens when the Coach allows the kids to play out the string padding their stats.

This last few weeks...there hasn't really been any evidence at all of the group getting together and making a commitment to get better defensively and that's what worries me the most...not just for next season...but pretty much...forever...as far as the "core" of this "rebuild" is concerned.

And yet Eakins plays the kid line against Johnson all night. And he easily shut Hall down. Dumb coaching. :shakehead

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
To oilersfan11 (or whatever), unlike Seguin, Hall hasn't had good teams around him. So no offense but I SERIOUSLY doubt Seguin would do similarly to Hall here.

No PP
No D

If we had both of those I suspect Hall would quite easily be a 90pt player. Hell if Hall had the same PP production from the same quality PP as the last 2 years, he'd be sitting at about 85 pts right now in 73 games.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
And yet Eakins plays the kid line against Johnson all night. And he easily shut Hall down. Dumb coaching. :shakehead

It would be good to get an explanation. I thought maybe Eakins was trying to get some scoring from the other lines and giving them easier match ups .

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It would be good to get an explanation. I thought maybe Eakins was trying to get some scoring from the other lines and giving them easier match ups .

Won't happen, when you have Smyth on the 2nd line, and garbage like Acton playing. Lander can't produce at the NHL level whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad