Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Again, Krueger, just like plalying potter in the last minute of the coyotes game, he puts Gagner first in shootout after OT where he brain-farted, gave up the puck for a prime chance, then took a stupid penalty.
What is with him and putting players who are clearly having a bad game in the spotlight? Does he think it's good experience, at the cost of us losing?

Didn't Debrusk mention that Chabot was the guy picking the shooters?

Nonetheless, quit whining about who the shooters were. That's definitely one of my pet peeves about this board after a shootout loss. Hell, even after a shootout win people gripe about who was picked to shoot.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Pretty happy with the effort and point gained. I'm still going to be careful calling this team different from last year. Oil started something like 8-2-1 last season including a win over a 7-0 Washington team that was also firing on all cylinders. These efforts only mean something if we can continue to improve this season at the same or better rate than the other teams.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
You made me look :).

A solid 7th place with 41 giveaways.

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
1. San Jose 67 (most giveaways by a landslide)
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

Wow, thanks for finding this! What a weird stat.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I'm not upset that Gags went 1st in the shootout. I just think having Eberle shoot at least 2nd is always the best option in every shootout situation. The man is a wizard. Ebs should always be given the opportunity to be one of the for sure shooters! Percentages don't lie.

Eberle does not require confidence to keep scoring. He is confident.
Most of the other players just may need the confidence of scoring a game winner on a shoot-out attempt

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Hey - we kept Thornton and Marleau off the scoresheet... AND we got a point? AND Dubnyk played great? AND we came back from being down 2-0 to the best team in the league right now?

Good enough for me!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Good game folks. You had me scared for sure. I wasn't sold on the Oilers going into the season but you guys played really well today. Hall in particular, damn I'd kill to have a player like that on the Sharks, a real game-breaker. I felt so bad for poor rookie Matty Irwin having to defend that Hall goal, welcome to the NHL bud. :laugh:

Anyway, I honestly think that the Oilers are a playoff team. Also, I maintain that Dubnyk is a solid NHL goaltender and if the Oilers can gain a solid #2C, a defensive #4D guy, and maybe a tough middle-six forward they're contenders in my eyes.

Thanks.. It was a very fast paced and entertaining game .. Lot of respect for your team.. Lack of cheap hits and whining was refreshing.. Almost hoped they would line up and shake hands at the end of the game ..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Pretty happy with the effort and point gained. I'm still going to be careful calling this team different from last year. Oil started something like 8-2-1 last season including a win over a 7-0 Washington team that was also firing on all cylinders. These efforts only mean something if we can continue to improve this season at the same or better rate than the other teams.

so unless we go 9-2-1 to start you wont be impressed??
Our coachin looks better.. Kids aside from Nuge look better.. The vets know their role and look better.. J.Schultz looks better than any D we had last year. Gagner looks better.. PP and PK look better.

One SO loss vs the best team in the league and its all doom and gloom..

SJ was clearly the better team .. But if we can get a point out of them we should be able to go head to head vs any team in west.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Looking at the western playoff picture as of right now -- this could definitely be the 8 teams we see in the playoffs come may, in a different order of course, but these look like the eight teams, give or take one.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Wait...Columbus has given the puck away 11 times so far this season? LOL yeah right...

Giveaways can be misleading. You can't give a puck away if you don't have it. So while giveaways are bad and not something you want it can actually be a sign your team is controlling the play. Columbus is doing poorly and so they have the puck less often in the first place.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Guys for the last time: if Gagner is shooting, he shoots first. He asks to shoot first.

This much arguing over the skill competition is incredible.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Guys for the last time: if Gagner is shooting, he shoots first. He asks to shoot first.

This much arguing over the skill competition is incredible.

we didnt have any issues with Gagner shooting first vs VAN ;) Hindsight at its best..

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Giveaways can be misleading. You can't give a puck away if you don't have it. So while giveaways are bad and not something you want it can actually be a sign your team is controlling the play. Columbus is doing poorly and so they have the puck less often in the first place.

I think Thornton led the league in takeaways and giveaways at the same time 2 years ago

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

Very good point.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Looking at the western playoff picture as of right now -- this could definitely be the 8 teams we see in the playoffs come may, in a different order of course, but these look like the eight teams, give or take one.

Yes.. hopefully EDM isnt the one :)
I think LA will find a way to make it.. Also I hope CGY improves a little and doesnt land a top 3 pick ..

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
True...

but I find Thornton always preforms well, Marleau seems to be the biggest disappearing act. Can't deny the Sedins right now, I just hope our struggling PP could make them less dependant on the power play and just better 5 on 5 players.

Sorry but have to defend a fellow Sask boy (Marleau).

He is second in playoff goals among active players and 13th on the all-time playoff game winning goal list ahead of people like Yzerman, Fedorov and Selanne

If he is a disappearing act then so are most players

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

Correction: I was looking at giveaways at home, but the total amount of giveaways basically tells the same story although we are gain a few positions...
1. San Jose 78
2. Edmonton 68
29. Columbus 31
30. Carolina 28

Anyway, despite the fact that I agree on that this stats is a bit misleading I still find it funny :). Would be interesting to see how these team fare in terms of puck possession, but I couldn't find that.

Sorry for going off PGT topic.

Turrican*

If they started now...

We would play...

Vancouver...

CBC

=

homerdrool.png

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

Actually, I think you're only looking at the number of give-a-ways on home ice.

We're in second for overall give-a-ways with 68. San Jose still leads though with 78.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Again, Krueger, just like plalying potter in the last minute of the coyotes game, he puts Gagner first in shootout after OT where he brain-farted, gave up the puck for a prime chance, then took a stupid penalty.
What is with him and putting players who are clearly having a bad game in the spotlight? Does he think it's good experience, at the cost of us losing?

What does having a bad game have to do with how they perform in the skills competition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad