Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've gotta say you guys are one of my favorite teams to watch right now, it looks like there's finally a system in place to channel all of that talent. Good luck this year.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Pretty happy with the effort and point gained. I'm still going to be careful calling this team different from last year. Oil started something like 8-2-1 last season including a win over a 7-0 Washington team that was also firing on all cylinders. These efforts only mean something if we can continue to improve this season at the same or better rate than the other teams.

Last year the Oilers were getting all-world goaltending from Khabibulin. It was smoke and mirrors. This year looks to be a bit less of a illusion: yes, the powerplay is driving results, but they should be getting better results at ES than they have been. These things should balance out. All in all, I can't see anyone looking at this team and seeing the same club from last year. It's night and day, really.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You made me look :).

A solid 7th place with 41 giveaways.

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
1. San Jose 67 (most giveaways by a landslide)
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

that is a stat that comes with a lot of grey area,

one could argue that columbus is really good at protecting the puck, at the same time the reality is more like they are such a garbage team that the other team has possesion of the puck 80% of the game.

its similar to a stat that says how often player A misses the net. Ovie is going to miss the net a lot more than hordichuck, mainly because he takes 1000's of more shots.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
that is a stat that comes with a lot of grey area,

one could argue that columbus is really good at protecting the puck, at the same time the reality is more like they are such a garbage team that the other team has possesion of the puck 80% of the game.

its similar to a stat that says how often player A misses the net. Ovie is going to miss the net a lot more than hordichuck, mainly because he takes 1000's of more shots.

Good point. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to tweak it so that it's giveaways per minute of possession or something

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I hope Calgary rallies. A nice late push to take them to 12th place would be fantastic.

I predicted the exact same thing last year - Calgary started and stayed for much of the year in the basement, and I said they'd make their "too little, too late" push to lose themselves a good pick near the end of the season, and they did just that. Calgary is a team that can only win when they play other teams that are coasting into the playoffs. That's when they pick up their wins.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
In regards to RNH, I'm shocked at the biased opinions on this board.

1) He's our best shutdown center. There, I said it. He's been facing the opposition's top line every game this year, and with the exception of that 1st game vs SJS has come out on top. He's not cherry-picking like Ebs/Hall are up the ice, and it's reducing the amount of time we're seeing him in the offensive zone. It's a trade-off I'll take considering it's keeping that 2nd line off the ice versus more dangerous opposition

2) Remember when Taylor Hall started last year with 6 points in 13 games and everyone was defending him? Nuge has 5 points in 7 and we're giving him so much flack? Better yet, he's actually winning every head-to-head 60-minute match-up he's playing in every game. :facepalm:

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
RNH isn't the Oilers best shutdown centre simply because he isn't reliable in the dot yet. Notice where that line started every shift last night and you won't be seeing many d-zone starts.

Krueger is putting them in a position to succeed and they're succeeding. They've become an elite line as long as they can get the puck back before the other team sets up in the offensive zone.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
RNH isn't the Oilers best shutdown centre simply because he isn't reliable in the dot yet. Notice where that line started every shift last night and you won't be seeing many d-zone starts.

Krueger is putting them in a position to succeed and they're succeeding. They've become an elite line as long as they can get the puck back before the other team sets up in the offensive zone.

Look at the cycle they got going yesterday, the Sharks were utterly helpless when the kids were going, they didn't score yesterday, but they will in the future

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow

Krueger is placing them in situations they never saw last year under Renney and their excelling. This should of been done last season, and it could be one of the reasons Renney wasn't rehired.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Krueger is placing them in situations they never saw last year under Renney and their excelling. This should of been done last season, and it could be one of the reasons Renney wasn't rehired.

Agreed. Last season that line would have not been on the ice with a 2-2 game and a minute left in the 3rd. It was good tom see Krueger trust them in such a situation.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Most of the time they're in the same situations, just a few minutes more often per game than with Renney. Biggest difference so far has probably been overtime, to be honest.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I think what Renney did has led to the success the younger players have been having this season. giving them sheltered minutes and letting them mature as players at a measured pace. what renney did is paying off this year, as the players are better equipped to take on the greater responsibilities.
It was as close to the "detroit way" as the oilers have ever come, instead of thowing the players to the wolves and hope for the best.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

That doesn't follow. Just because it works now, doesn't mean it would have then.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I think what Renney did has led to the success the younger players have been having this season. giving them sheltered minutes and letting them mature as players at a measured pace. what renney did is paying off this year, as the players are better equipped to take on the greater responsibilities.
It was as close to the "detroit way" as the oilers have ever come, instead of thowing the players to the wolves and hope for the best.

Definitely agree. Good thing is that they're not getting sheltered this year and are doing very well for it. It's easy to get frustrated at RNH when we've seen more from him last year (on offence), but I can also believe that he'll get out of it eventually when he can 'think' less defence and just 'do'.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
One thing I liked about the top line last night was not only did they hold their own against the top line in the NHL, that line is also bigger and stronger than they are, and I saw them fight through checks and we saw RNH even take the body a couple of times - doing that on Thornton is never easy.

Other than a couple of examples where RNH and Hall forgot how long JT's arms are and how good he is with his stick, they respected that line but pushed back with the quick breakouts.:handclap:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Agreed, while I wasn't Renney's biggest fan, he did some good things. He's had a hand in what the kids are doing now.

With that said, I like that Krueger is giving them a chance to prove themselves. Renney never did that for the kids. Giving them responsibility and holding them accountable. I'm really glad Krueger is doing that.

Whoever said he 1st line is turning into an elite line is right. They are having some slight transition problems, but apart from that, when they get into opposition's zone, they have a Sedin-like ability to keep teams hemmed in their own zones for prolonged periods. I suspect as they get more comfortable with the system and get into the groove, they are just going to run rampant on some poor teams.

And RNH is playing just great. His offense will come around, I think the move from sheltered minutes to top opposition in his sophomore year is quite a transition. Especially given the responsibilities of a C.

Oh and man Gagner is turning it on. Have to give him some major props for his play this season. Well played lad, keep it up.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
when it'll be the next time a player emerges with such combination of physicality and hockey sense as Thornton possesses, i definitely want the Oilers to have him. should go 1st overall though, and i hope we won't be drafting anywhere close to 1st anytime soon! a very special player, this Jumbo Joe.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I've gotta say you guys are one of my favorite teams to watch right now, it looks like there's finally a system in place to channel all of that talent. Good luck this year.

Yah.. Them Sharks arent too shabby either..This is seriously the year for them .. Perfect mix of youth and vets..

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Anyone have a number for the amount of D zone draws RNH took last night? I thought I saw him take at least 2 that he won.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
when it'll be the next time a player emerges with such combination of physicality and hockey sense as Thornton possesses, i definitely want the Oilers to have him. should go 1st overall though, and i hope we won't be drafting anywhere close to 1st anytime soon! a very special player, this Jumbo Joe.

Remember how his first season went? 7 points. and didn't it take 6 years until he broke the ppg plateau?

whenever anyone gets down on a young talented player, (for example starting threads 3 games into the year asking if we should have drafted someone else than Yak) they should have to learn about Joe Thornton and patience in the development of a player.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
Agreed, while I wasn't Renney's biggest fan, he did some good things. He's had a hand in what the kids are doing now.

With that said, I like that Krueger is giving them a chance to prove themselves. Renney never did that for the kids. Giving them responsibility and holding them accountable. I'm really glad Krueger is doing that.

Whoever said he 1st line is turning into an elite line is right. They are having some slight transition problems, but apart from that, when they get into opposition's zone, they have a Sedin-like ability to keep teams hemmed in their own zones for prolonged periods. I suspect as they get more comfortable with the system and get into the groove, they are just going to run rampant on some poor teams.

And RNH is playing just great. His offense will come around, I think the move from sheltered minutes to top opposition in his sophomore year is quite a transition. Especially given the responsibilities of a C.

Oh and man Gagner is turning it on. Have to give him some major props for his play this season. Well played lad, keep it up.

This line of reasoning would fine if Renney did it for half the season and just for some of the rookies like RNH, but he didn't. He relied too much on Horcoff, Smyth, and Jones in the important situation for the full year. He should have been placing Eberle and Hall in critical situations, instead of sheltering them.

I do agree about RNH, he's still filling out and his FO have improved, as his defensive game. Love to see what Gagner is doing, but it still doesn't change the fact the Oilers need a big physical C. If not a big C, they'll need a couple of big wingers, because one will not be enough.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Look at the cycle they got going yesterday, the Sharks were utterly helpless when the kids were going, they didn't score yesterday, but they will in the future

It wasn't just the Sharks. It's been the story all year, with an exception in Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad