Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Yes,but I remember from last year that there was a statistic that said:

Hemsky is 13 for 45 in shootouts.

While those numbers don't look great (and they're not), they're also not bad. They're essentially average. League average shooting percentage is right around 33%. It's not a coin flip, the goalie actually has the statistical advantage, so for most players you should expect them to miss more than score.

I don't know that the Oilers actually have anyone who is statistically more likely to score. They actually have three guys who are at precisely 33.3%: Eberle, RNH, and Whitney (with only 3 shots though). Gagner is right there at 31.2%, Hemsky is actually slightly above at 35.7%.

The actual shootout star for the Oilers is Horcoff at 50%. Hall and Smyth are below average at around 25%. The rest have little or no shootout history.

Last edited:

CardMonkey83*

Again, Krueger, just like plalying potter in the last minute of the coyotes game, he puts Gagner first in shootout after OT where he brain-farted, gave up the puck for a prime chance, then took a stupid penalty.
What is with him and putting players who are clearly having a bad game in the spotlight? Does he think it's good experience, at the cost of us losing?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Tencer's Twitter says Fistric took a puck to the hand, left the game. Could he be injured too?

That's very unfortunate! Fists was awesome every game he's played so far.

It's almost like Potter needs to play for some reason........

:shakehead

Nuge better not be injured. Or if he is, Horcoff better be back for Saturday. What would the centre look like with both out?

Where are you hearing this from ?

If that's the case, why'd they use him in the shootout?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Again, Krueger, just like plalying potter in the last minute of the coyotes game, he puts Gagner first in shootout after OT where he brain-farted, gave up the puck for a prime chance, then took a stupid penalty.
What is with him and putting players who are clearly having a bad game in the spotlight? Does he think it's good experience, at the cost of us losing?

Ya what's with putting our hottest player in who happens to be 2nd in points on the team and scored on said night.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
It just pisses me off because the Oilers could've won this game.

We could have won it just as easy with Gagner, RNH, Eberle Shooting. You guys are way over analyzing this. Nuge in the Shootout is never a bad idea. he beat Niemi just missed the net.

Gagner scored 50% of the teams goals last night, and is second in Goals assists and points on the team. Not to mention that Krueger doesn't pick the shooters.

Hindsight is 20/20 guys, stop pretending your smarter than the Oilers coaching staff because you can make decisions after the fact.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia

People, take the point and get outta dodge. I am very happy the way they played. They came back from being 2 down against the best team in the league. Also, they played the night before against the conference finalist. They had quality chances throughout the game. Hell, I even stayed up past 2 AM in the east coast to watch it all. The only question I have is why PRV was sent down. I thought he played hard the previous games. Overall, things are looking great

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not upset that Gags went 1st in the shootout. I just think having Eberle shoot at least 2nd is always the best option in every shootout situation. The man is a wizard. Ebs should always be given the opportunity to be one of the for sure shooters! Percentages don't lie.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Besides getting the two points, I couldn't be happier with the Oilers effort. Played the sharks well in the first two periods on the second half of a tough back-to-back. Lots of positives from this game, hopefully we can keep the momentum going.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I'm not upset that Gags went 1st in the shootout. I just think having Eberle shoot at least 2nd is always the best option in every shootout situation. The man is a wizard. Ebs should always be given the opportunity to be one of the for sure shooters! Percentages don't lie.

If percentages don't lie then what are they telling you?

last year
| Player| Team |Pos| Home: S| G | S% | GDG | Road: S| G | S% | GDG |Total: S| G| S% |GDG|
1| Sam Gagner| EDM |C| 4| 4 |100.0| 0 |5 |2| 40.0 |1 |9| 6| 66.7| 1|
2| Ales Hemsky| EDM |R |3| 1| 33.3| 1| 3 |2| 66.7| 0 |6| 3| 50.0| 1|
3 |Ryan Nugent-Hopkins| EDM |C| 4| 1| 25.0 |1| 1| 1| 100.0| 1| 5| 2| 40.0| 2|
4 |Shawn Horcoff| EDM| C| 1| 1| 100.0| 0| 2| 0 |0.0| 0| 3 |1 |33.3| 0|
5 |Jordan Eberle| EDM| R |6| 2| 33.3| 0| 6| 1 |16.7| 0 |12 |3 |25.0| 0|
6| Taylor Hall| EDM| L| 2| 1| 50.0| 1| 2| 0| 0.0| 0| 4| 1| 25.0| 1|

They tell me that last year RNH was better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I also want to mention as fans we shouldn't be complaining about the Shootout shooters. I joked in a thread about how everyone would be mad if Darcy Hordichuk was a 2nd or 3rd shooter, but how do we know who did what in practice. Maybe there are guys that have been really hot in practice at the shootout, so is it really that bad of a decision for Kreuger to go with someone who he saw has the hot hand in practice? We just don't have all the info to complain about guys shooting, unless of course someone scored 6 goals in the game and wasn't shooting until shooter number 10.

Oh ya, the day after I joked about the shootout, Hordi won the shootout competition in practice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I really liked what I saw from the Oilers last night. Some epic penalty killing against a VERY good PP team, solid play 5 on 5 (with a few laspes, 2 of which resulted in goals), Dubnyk was great and the team showed great composure tying up the game after giving up 2 goals in quick succession.

This team is maturing and looks to be getting better as they get more comfortable in Kruger's system.

I liked Yakupov's game as well, I thought it was his best game overall, and he seems to be finding a comfort level, though I'd like him to shoot a little more.

One final thing, the Sharks are undefeated and a solid veteran club, but it blew my mind a little when the top line got their cycle going and the Sharks looked helpless to defend it. I know they didn't pot any tonight off that cycle, but you could see the "future" there, and it looks very good.

Edit: Shootouts are shootouts. This isn't Kruger tossing in Harti because he thought "he had a good game", he seems to have a plan for this, though it didn't work today, I'm not going to throw him under the bus. I mean Hanzus is lights out for some reason, explain that, lol.

Double Edit: The people who are "choked", explain to me why it's bad to come out of back to back games in Phoenix and San Jose with 3 of 4 points? Because the "should have" got 4? It's not that simple shirley.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

1. Gagner has been one of our best players this season
2. Gagner's money in shootouts

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
I REALLY want to see Yak moved to RW. Like really really really a lot. He looks so much more comfortable over there.

I know both he and Hemsky kinda rover around out there, and end up on either side, but I'd like to see Krueger switch them up.

Turrican*

Giveaways still cost us a win.

I AM GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF GIVING UP THE PUCK TO THE OTHER TEAM.

We have to have the highest giveaway stat in the league.
It frustrates me to no end. And it will cost us when things really matter.

edit: But at least Calgary got smashed. So that makes it a great night.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
While I agree that Eberle should be one of the first 2 shooters, I am not going to get too choked up about us "only" getting 3/4 points in b2b games on the road against 2 playoff teams from last year, one of of which is undefeated this season.

This was a much better result than I expected. Kudos to the team. Plus we are leading the division atm, which is nice, even if it will be short lived.

In terms if player selection, if was great seeing Fistric out there. Sooooooo much better than Potter. And I liked Lander's game, but without Horcoff we really struggled on the draw.

Turrican*

So what are the chances we see this stat line back in our lineup this year?

4gp 0g 0a 0p 2s 2pim -4

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sad to see that our coach cost us a point.:shakehead

good to see you hate the coach no matter what.
it's the shootout. ship happens.

I prefer to look at the fact the Oilers played to the level of their opponent, which in this case was a good thing.
They played very well, came back from a 2-0 deficit (with the coach you shake your head at taking a good timeout) and had quite a few chances to win the game.
besides, you're blaming coach K, and I don't think he is even the guy that decides the shootout participants. didn't he delegate that to chabot?

i'm looking at it as the Oilers stealing a point from what is one of the best teams in the league right now.
they could have had twow, but the Oilers played very well. I especially thought Hall had an extra gear tonight.

heck 9 points in 7 games for the team? I'll take that for the rest of the year and be happy about it.

my only negative is Whitney. I thought he was useless and right now, he's the weakest link on defense. with him on the ice in the last two minutes, I thought for sur ethe Oilers were going to lose in regulaiton, and it did almost happen on his shift.

I like the guy, but I think he's done.

but overall, considering I can be more of a debbie downer when it comes to the Oilers, there are way too many positives this game to get in a snit about a coin toss shootout.

Gagner is never a bad choice. he is playing very well and is a good player in the shootout. RNH? why not. The Oilers already stole a point. why not show some confidence in one of your best and most talented players and maybe give him a kickstart. I like the idea of helping a guy though his struggles for this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We have to have the highest giveaway stat in the league.
It frustrates me to no end. And it will cost us when things really matter.

Going to let you know with a young core this isn't going to just disappear. This is our weakness, if we didn't have turnovers we wouldn't be allowing so many shots and we'd have a lot more shots which probably equals more goals.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

We have to have the highest giveaway stat in the league. It frustrates me to no end. And it will cost us when things really matter.

You made me look :).

A solid 7th place with 41 giveaways.

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
1. San Jose 67 (most giveaways by a landslide)
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

Turrican*

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11

I won't lie. This blew my mind.
But without 2 big giveaways last night, we have a shutout. I really dislike seeing opposing teams goals saying UNASSISTED, because it was usually assisted by us.

And sadly Hopkins is super snake bitten.
He needs to get on that puck and call make it his own, hiss hiss hiss

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11
Yeah

Some stats are just simply stupid all on their own. Whats the first thing giveways are indicative of?

Having the puck a lot. That would be the main driver of this stat. Think about it.

So a team like SJ will have a lot of giveaways on the basis of how much they possess the puck. Not how well they possess the puck. A player like Colin Fraser will have far less giveaways/60mins(probably a future DAvid Staples stat in waiting) then Jordan Eberle..gee, I wonder what this indicates?:sarcasm:

A lot of hockey stats are stupid and half baked and hint at the opposite story than they should.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

?? Gags had a great game minus the penalties. Did you not notice who tipped in the first goal??:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad