Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-2 in OT ...so close, yet so far

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
That's cause you can only hit guys when they have (or have had the puck)!! Since we never had the puck, CHigcago couldn't hit us!

lol they probably had more giveaways than us as well seeing as they had possession 85% of the game.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Petry is in his sophomore season, Whitney is a veteran.

If we're going to excuse RNH's play as a sophomore slump, shouldn't we do the same with Petry?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am not a Gagner fan, but it is VERY unfair to pin the OT goal on him, Petry gets most if not all of the blame for that goal IF Gagner gets any it's like 1% or 2%. Petry wore the goat horns on that one.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Not sure how much longer we can keep Eberle and RNH together. Both of these players are struggling to create anything offensively and Eberle, in particular, has been pretty awful in his defensive coverage and moving his feet as well. That might have been the worst game I've seen Eberle play in the NHL. And the worst part was that Krueger kept throwing him out there like every second/third shift in the third and OT.

Hemsky >>>> Eberle this season. I'm really liking Hemsky's game this year, not only his offense but his hussle and determination to get back in the defensive zone to help out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smid has been Smid but you can't have half your D playing reasonable and expect to compete.

Agreed. With Petry struggling, Smid has been trying to do too much and it's affecting his game big time. I think they need to split them up for a bit. Would like to see Smid mentoring Justin Schultz for a while and Petry with Nick.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Clipping is in the rulebook and technically that's more or less what Yakupov did.

It wasn't note, penalty or suspension worthy to me though.

The late, high hit attempt by Carcillo is probably more noteworthy.

Except for the fact that Yakupov wasn't throwing a check or checking Carcillo - that kind of nullifys the whole "clipping" idea. All Yaks did was drop to the ice, allowing Carcillo to check the boards instead of him. Guranteed Carcillo might be wary of trying that hit on Yak going forward.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
Can't afford RNH and Ebs going on a cold streak like this.

Not only is it a cold streak but it's also ****** decisions and other things like hitting the net (looking at you, nuge).

Even if it means splitting them up, Coach K has got find someway to kick start both of them

I wouldn't be opposed if he even sent one of them to the PB for a game.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Don't know where to put this :amazed:

Edmonton Journal ‏@EJ_Oilers
Staples: Oilers d-man Corey Potter deserves a promotion http://edmjr.nl/13QFEZ7 #nhl #oilers
Expand

Meh, he's a good bottom pairing defenseman...something that shouldn't be news to us. He played decent enough last night - something i will grudgingly admit. Maybe the times he didn't shine so much earlier in the season was because he was paired with Whitney?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Can't afford RNH and Ebs going on a cold streak like this.

Not only is it a cold streak but it's also ****** decisions and other things like hitting the net (looking at you, nuge).

Even if it means splitting them up, Coach K has got find someway to kick start both of them

I wouldn't be opposed if he even sent one of them to the PB for a game.

I feel it's time for some of that accountability to include Ebs as well. To not play well is fair enough, everyone goes through slumps, but the effort isn't quite there and he's sloppy. Sit him for the next game, maybe shake him up a bit.

Our young players need to realize they're not close to being stars in this league, they still haven't accomplished ****.

My lines would be:
Hall-RNH-Yaks(might be a horror show defensively but decent wheels on the wings...)
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky(best line vs Hawks)
Eager-Belanger-Jones(energy line)
Petrell-VV-Smyth(spare parts/PKer line)

Eberle ofc draws in again after one night in the PB.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
My lines would be:
Hall-RNH-Yaks(might be a horror show defensively but decent wheels on the wings...)

Hall and RNH defensive play imo. But Eberle it's like "RNH passes to Eberle for a one-timer! Eberle dekes and loses the puck''. Maybe some press box time with be good, look at Smyth 4pts out of his last 5gms since being in the press box. Maybe it will do him some good. Smyth on the LW then Petrel but have them both rock the PK. Maybe Smyth on PP time too till Horcoff gets back.

I'm hoping Peckham is in against Dallas and then Whitney in against St.Louis. See if missing 3 games will spark something out of Whitney. Smid and Petry IMO need to be a part for awhile also.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I feel it's time for some of that accountability to include Ebs as well. To not play well is fair enough, everyone goes through slumps, but the effort isn't quite there and he's sloppy. Sit him for the next game, maybe shake him up a bit.

Our young players need to realize they're not close to being stars in this league, they still haven't accomplished ****.

My lines would be:

Switch Hall and Paajarvi maybe?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Krueger is MacT, it's as simple as that, right down to brain locking offensive players by 'teaching them to play defense'. Our offensive young guys look brain locked.

I can assure you that the reason for Eberle's struggles has nothing to do with him "playing defence".

Right now he's not playing Canadian hockey. No will to get in the paint, playing tentative, peripheral hockey, a guy with fantastic mitts not getting into spaces where he can properly use them.

Heres the thing, and a number of us are commenting on it. Eberle got rocked a few times early in the season (this being one facet of NHL adjustment to his play) and is now backing off as he thinks more about getting drilled than the punishment he can administer to opposition.

Theres one cure for this. To finally become so angry and frustrated that it makes you get to a fearless around the net game. The one that Ryan Smyth chose to play his whole career in.

Eberle will start sniffing the net more when he's finally convinced that there won't be much feeding from farther out.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Switch Hall and Paajarvi maybe?

That might be an idea as well, my thinking was that both Hall and Hemsky likes to carry the puck into the o-zone, whilst both MPS and RNH are pretty good at carrying the puck out of the d-zone.
At the same time Hall and Hemsky has shown chemistry before so I sure wouldn't mind the switch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its funny that people are still blaming anybody but Petry for that goal. I didnt know he had so many family members on this board lol. If hes not benched next game then kruegers full of it as far as accountability goes. Petrys been junk all year, even with smid helping him out.

The greater dynamic going on in this board is anything that happens on this club with Gagner on the ice is Gagners fault.

One doesn't even have to click on the thread to anticipate some people stating that.

Its somewhat amusing that through a longterm ppg stretch, and with Gagner being in the middle of basically most of our offence, and being one of our better players, that this intense dislike of a player persists.

Petrys time as goat on this board will come, it hasn't arrived yet.

Typically it takes this board awhile to start grinding up players and with them always being foisted as fodder for grass is always greener on the other side trades..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Petry is in his sophomore season, Whitney is a veteran.

If we're going to excuse RNH's play as a sophomore slump, shouldn't we do the same with Petry?

The reason Petry is getting grilled badly is due to making a series of incomprehensible decisions. Lets break it down:

He's repeatedly trying to stickcheck Sharp, one of the most lethal, intelligent forwards in the game. Lets be clear here. Petry is getting in trouble on the play because he's going aggressive at Sharp trying to pick the puck instead of routinely maintaining positioning and getting through the shift.
Sharp, being the predator he is senses this and dangles the bait for Petry to jump. Predictably, like a landed bass, Petry suddenly is beached(because he didn't play the man and was trying to play the puck) and Sharp walks in. This alone would be bad enough on Petrys part. The next part, where he takes up a position behind the net while the team is 4 on 4 and with no opponent behind the net is beyond comprehension.

Theres likely no explanation for why Petry was behind the net there other than severe braincramp time. Petry basically blew his cerebral cortex on the play.

In the first instance, which is at least fathomable Petrys huge mistake is not properly respecting that Hossa and Sharp are on the ice. Only blind avarice and huge balls makes one think this is the time to aggressively pinch for puck. In Petrys mind he was trying to spring Gagner and Hemsky for a breakout. But as i stated against juggernauts its better to survive the shift.

The behind the net sequence who knows. Thats where he went twilight zone. I'm sure the Hawks fans had a good laugh at that one.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I can assure you that the reason for Eberle's struggles has nothing to do with him "playing defence".

Right now he's not playing Canadian hockey. No will to get in the paint, playing tentative, peripheral hockey, a guy with fantastic mitts not getting into spaces where he can properly use them.

Heres the thing, and a number of us are commenting on it. Eberle got rocked a few times early in the season (this being one facet of NHL adjustment to his play) and is now backing off as he thinks more about getting drilled than the punishment he can administer to opposition.

Theres one cure for this. To finally become so angry and frustrated that it makes you get to a fearless around the net game. The one that Ryan Smyth chose to play his whole career in.

Eberle will start sniffing the net more when he's finally convinced that there won't be much feeding from farther out.

You play neither offense nor defense when your instincts and freedom to make plays are removed because you have to play a system. Paralysis by analysis. The 'one forward has to come back deep' philosophy simply means you never have a 3 man break out on offense if you get the puck because we have no D man other than schultz that can do this and even he has not been jumping into the play.

and re Petry, the guy has been massively overrated by the Oiler fans on this board for a while now. Smid is also playing like garbage compared to his usual standard. As some people have been bleating in the coaching threads. More players are playing worse this year than are improving and that's a problem.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Difference I see from Eberle this year from last season ,is he is waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You play neither offense nor defense when your instincts and freedom to make plays are removed because you have to play a system. Paralysis by analysis. The 'one forward has to come back deep' philosophy simply means you never have a 3 man break out on offense if you get the puck because we have no D man other than schultz that can do this and even he has not been jumping into the play.

This just isn't the case and it isn't even had Eberle decided to "buy into a system"

I'm not familiar with an all zone system of play that has a forward cheating for offense(and not getting much) and virtually never being found in meaningful positions in NZ or own zone. Eberle is the straggler getting back and the first player to jump ownzone.

This isn't coaching, its bad Junior hockey habits still not beat out of the kid.

Theres virtually no instances where I'm seeing Eberle peel back early from opposition zone to jump into NZ stance. Oddly enough the player leading this club in pts is the one doing that.

I was never much of a Petry fan to begin with. I think his acumen was being overstated. His tendencies are now known and he's having them exploited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad