Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-2 in OT ...so close, yet so far

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Regardless he turned down a long-term deal worth a lot of money to play with a winning team for a single year.

Well he made 7.45M for that year in Detroit, and Chicago signed him to a front loaded deal where he's making 7.9M for the first 7 years. From what I remember hearing we were offering somewhere around 7M for 7 years. Something similar to the Vanek deal. Stauffer had all the fans worked up though throwing out numbers like 8M and 8.5M or something ridiculous like that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You were talking about Vanek, right? Or did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure you were. That was during the "win now" years.

My comment on the potential Vanek deal underscored poor decision making.

Nothing else.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Why not just make Lowe GM and tell him to get get us a couple of dmen without touching the big 5.

He sure had some decent finds during his time.

Salo for Gilbert
7th for Hejda
Bergeron for Grebeshkov
Salmeainen for Spacek.

He was even pretty good at bringing in good role players. He brought in Torres, Glencross, Brodziak, Reasoner, Dvorak, Peca off the top of my head.

His biggest problem was his inability to acquire top end talent (which we now have) and letting his good role players go in his search for said talent.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Indeed.
Unfortunately the lines have become blurry regarding the difference between a good GM and a lucky one.

This line certainly exists but our management is on no blurry line what so ever. If we had a monkey as the GM we would be about where we are right now. Tambellini hasn't done a single thing to make an impact on the standings.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This line certainly exists but our management is on no blurry line what so ever. If we had a monkey as the GM we would be about where we are right now. Tambellini hasn't done a single thing to make an impact on the standings.

I couldn't agree more.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Now that I've had a while to absorb this....just some thoughts on the game.

We DID NOT deserve a point. I think you can live with boneheaded plays like the one Petry made if this team actually gave an effort in the D zone and in the O zone.

When did Eberle get so soft and lazy? He looks like O'Sullivan out there!! Holy smokes, he needs to get it together, and fast. He's not snakebitten, he didn't even seem to be trying today! He was losing puck battles to rookies like Shaw and Saad. Man up ffs.

Why did Kreuger pair Smyth with Nuge and Ebs when he was painfully slow and couldn't make or receive a pass to save his life today? Jones' grit and energy would have been much more useful for them.

I'll give Nuge a pass for tonight because he played with the worst games I've ever seen "top line wingers" play in Eberle and Smyth. He was good in the D Zone.

Khabby did all that was expected and more.

I usually like the effort of the bottom 6 but they were pretty bad tonight as well.

I don't think Paajarvi on the 2nd line worked out. He abandoned his 3rd line grit/board work play and went back to last year's version of himself where he was trying to be a skill player and failing. He works best in the bottom 6 or with Harski.

Nothing really to say about Yak. Good goal, can't make those terrible back to back giveaways he did. Needs to simplify his game. And needs to stop overhandling the puck.

All in all, another stinker of a game. And I'm not mad about the result, believe me. I'm upset about the total lack of commitment and effort.

This team needs to watch some video of successful NHL teams. How do they score? Crash the crease. Rebounds, tip, goal mouth goals. They're trying to make every goal a tic tac toe goal. Not gonna work in this league. Even watch top scorers like Tavares, Sid or Stamkos. Most of their goals are garbage goals. Defense in this league is too good for them to think they can move it around and score like the 80's Oilers.

Get it together ffs.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I really don't understand the RNH hate. The kid is playing great 'hockey'. He's improving in the dot, beat Toews a couple times tonight, ended up 11-8!! His defensive play has been excellent, he just has zero puck support, Eberle was brutal in his own end tonight. The defense can't win a battle or make a simple pass so RNH is there bailing them out. Yes we all wish he was scoring more but he is improving in so many other facets of the game. He's the Oilers workhorse with Horcoff out - 24 mins tonight!! All this in a kid's body.

With the complete lack of ES scoring it's amazing that he's only -1 on the season.

Sucks to lose this game but it was our own gaffes that cost us the win. What were the expectations this season? We're a 0.500 team at this point.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

Tambo also hasn't royally ****ed anything up either, so we'll just go ahead and make that a wash.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Taylor Hall suspended for two games, including a game against the only undefeated team in the league.

Yeah .... three points in those two games is not too bad. :handclap:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well, I said I'd be pissed off if we won and it actually won the game, because we don't deserve to take that winning streak away from anyone the way we've been playing lately.

I honestly don't see how we made it to overtime and actually scored 2 goals. 19 shots. *pukes blood*

Why is Smyth getting top six minutes? Has anyone forgotten last season when Smyth was overplayed and two months into the season he was playing like 50 year old?

CVV has his best shift of the year. Lays a beautiful clean hit out on Seabrook, and then he's benched for the rest of the game, while Carcillo is running around hitting Yaupov and Petry. What the hell is up with that?

If we're not going to dress a real enforcer, then Eager and Fistric need to drop the gloves. I know Fistric doesn't fight very often... and that's really strange, because his father was a madman which most players in hockey feared.

I'm also getting bored of watching Petry rush the puck. I don't understand it, to tell you the truth. He's got great wheels, it looks like his vision is good and he's got the ability to pass the puck well... but whenever he rushes or passes... it's like I know nothing is going to happen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really don't understand the RNH hate. The kid is playing great 'hockey'. He's improving in the dot, beat Toews a couple times tonight, ended up 11-8!! His defensive play has been excellent, he just has zero puck support, Eberle was brutal in his own end tonight. The defense can't win a battle or make a simple pass so RNH is there bailing them out. Yes we all wish he was scoring more but he is improving in so many other facets of the game. He's the Oilers workhorse with Horcoff out - 24 mins tonight!! All this in a kid's body.

With the complete lack of ES scoring it's amazing that he's only -1 on the season.

Sucks to lose this game but it was our own gaffes that cost us the win. What were the expectations this season? We're a 0.500 team at this point.

I agree although I don't think that tonight was a very good game for him (I missed the 1st period). Everything in the offensive zone for him seems to be off whether it's passes or shots, if it's not injury related he could come around at any time, if it is then we'll probably see this from him all season long.

Kulleroinen*

That was depressing, but at least we got a point out of the game... better than nothing. :P

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
If it wasn't for Khabby it would have been 6-2 Hawks. Oilers have no clue on how to find an outlet out of the zone or breakup the cycle. They also don't know how to retrieve the puck in the O-zone.

And what the hell was Petry doing on the GWG? Stands behind the net like a Pejorative Slur.. Ever heard of switching coverage?

Feb 9, 2013
I think a lot of 'it' ('it' being some of what people are complaining about) can be attributed to a young and developing team... we (speaking as a fan) have a lot of expectations of 'our' players, but the truth of the matter is that 'our' talent are kids. They need time.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz are good, but it will take time for them to 'bring it' in the NHL (its not like they have been around for 6 seasons - when you add all their NHL experience up, they barely make 6 seasons combined). I get as frustrated as anyone, but I am trying to see beyond it. In a perfect scenario Hall and company would be surrounded by a good team, made up of good seasoned players - where they could play without having the game resting on their shoulders. But the reality is the Oilers are in a similar situation as Chicago once was, and it took time for Chicago to get where it is (I recall thinking of Chicago: "Why aren't they better?" But, the team was young, without a lot of promising veteran talent).

I am well aware of how long it has been since 'we' last tasted success, but I try to find some solace (and its not always easy) in the fact that this team seems to be on the cusp of being very good. And perhaps that is part of the frustration.

There are adjustments to be made to the team, but I am not a fan of proposing trades... 'cause its about as useful as dreaming what I would do if I won a lottery. I am not always in agreement with Krueger (for example: Smyth on the top line, sitting Nail yet overlooking Gagner's 'gaffs'), but I like that he holds some of his 'vets' accountable - and, for better or worse, I like that this team is now Hall's. Tambellini gets a pass from me because I believe Lowe is still very much in the driver's seat, and I have never agreed with Lowe's conception of the 'new' NHL.

In the end, it is the rollercoaster that many of us expected coming into the season... with all the ups and downs (at least until we got a whiff of how how good this team could/will be). And we are not alone on the rides, The (F)Lames' fans are on their own rollercoaster (perhaps the 'drop-of-doom'), as are Canucks' fans (a rather anti-climatic rollercoaster that is nearing its end), as is every other fan in the league. And I do enjoy the ride.

And the thing I like most about it, success will taste all the sweeter when it is finally realized... I would much rather see a team that 'we' grew find success than one acquired.

Its been two years now since I made a bet that the Oilers would be the next Canadian team to win the cup. I am feeling more confident about it now than when I originally made it. Last night's game against Chicago did nothing to deter my confidence.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Now that I've had a while to absorb this....just some thoughts on the game.

We DID NOT deserve a point. I think you can live with boneheaded plays like the one Petry made if this team actually gave an effort in the D zone and in the O zone.

When did Eberle get so soft and lazy? He looks like O'Sullivan out there!! Holy smokes, he needs to get it together, and fast. He's not snakebitten, he didn't even seem to be trying today! He was losing puck battles to rookies like Shaw and Saad. Man up ffs.

Why did Kreuger pair Smyth with Nuge and Ebs when he was painfully slow and couldn't make or receive a pass to save his life today? Jones' grit and energy would have been much more useful for them.

I'll give Nuge a pass for tonight because he played with the worst games I've ever seen "top line wingers" play in Eberle and Smyth. He was good in the D Zone.

Khabby did all that was expected and more.

I usually like the effort of the bottom 6 but they were pretty bad tonight as well.

I don't think Paajarvi on the 2nd line worked out. He abandoned his 3rd line grit/board work play and went back to last year's version of himself where he was trying to be a skill player and failing. He works best in the bottom 6 or with Harski.

Nothing really to say about Yak. Good goal, can't make those terrible back to back giveaways he did. Needs to simplify his game. And needs to stop overhandling the puck.

All in all, another stinker of a game. And I'm not mad about the result, believe me. I'm upset about the total lack of commitment and effort.

This team needs to watch some video of successful NHL teams. How do they score? Crash the crease. Rebounds, tip, goal mouth goals. They're trying to make every goal a tic tac toe goal. Not gonna work in this league. Even watch top scorers like Tavares, Sid or Stamkos. Most of their goals are garbage goals. Defense in this league is too good for them to think they can move it around and score like the 80's Oilers.

Get it together ffs.

Krueger should make them watch last night's game 50x and write an essay on how to play like the Hawks.

Oilers got totally schooled last night, and were very lucky to get a point.

I expected a much better effort from the Oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i havent read the thread yet but the highlight of the game besdies yaks blast was the Eager/Belanger/jones line. they were great all game long. once they get some chemistry with jones being back they will outscore other lines they play against. jones is what the bottom 6 was missing and you can tell when he is on the ice. non-stop motor and it is contageous.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
While we were dominated for much of the game, we did do a good job at forcing the Hawks to make poor shots.

We won the faceoff battle not only in percentage, but by having wingers getting involved.

We also won the physical element of the game.

3 real good accomplishments for this team against the Hawks.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yup, because people are only frustrated by the outcome of this game and not the awful, lazy, and dumb hockey played by this team all year.

gotta get to work and can't finish reading the thread. but you're right. we'd be happier with the results if the team was playing hard, playing fairly well, and developing.
instead, outside of the occasional good period, we've watched crap Oiler hockey all year long.
I can't see how anyone could be happy with how the Oilers have played this season.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Gagner and Hemsky were just watching the play. That's what I'm talking about:shakehead

No, THEY as well as Smid had their checks covered. Petry decided to go for a skate behind the net. To try and blame that goal on anyone other than number 2 is farcical.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
While we were dominated for much of the game, we did do a good job at forcing the Hawks to make poor shots.

We won the faceoff battle not only in percentage, but by having wingers getting involved.

We also won the physical element of the game.

3 real good accomplishments for this team against the Hawks.

also credit to the hawks for improving as they held us under 8-9 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad