Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-2 in OT ...so close, yet so far

zeus3007*

You guys need to all chill out. Its not like we brought that performance against Columbus (last night anyway, lol). We played Chicago, the best team in the world right now, and were rightfully outplayed. Lucky to get a point, but I'm not using that as a positive. We deserved to lose that game, but in all actuality, we should have had our tails kicked by Chicago. They are just so much better than us that its ridiculous.

OntOilFan

Aug 9, 2006
I've watched that overtime goal 10 times now.

Each time, I get more and more dumbfounded.

How in the name of all that is pure does an NHL defenceman go for a leisurely skate around the net after being pyloned like that?

It honestly looked like pond hockey.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
No d-man besides Jesus Schultz should be untouchable, lets be honest.

Overall Krueger is doing a good job on d with the scraps he's got.

Dr_oil

Jun 25, 2003
Is there a podcast of Overtime openline on CHED after the games? I live out of town and enjoy listening to Tencer and fans flip out after a game like that.

The Podcasts of Oilers now and Tencers regular show help get me through a day in the office. Have the drama after a game would be icing on the cake.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Been saying this for a while, but Petry is the most overrated player on the Oilers. He gets beat one-on-one more often than Ryan Whitney.

I hope they learn something from Chicago. The way the Blackhawks push the pace of play, play super aggressive on the forecheck, pressure the puck like crazy and just generally work their butts off is really impressive. That is modern hockey at its best.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i was super pissed last night, mostly at the coach and eberle/RNH/hemsky.... they are still the people i'm most upset with today, but as with all things in life, a nights sleep brings some perspective

we managed to grab a point against the best team in the league, in their own barn, with our best player out, with crappy coaching decisions, a goalie that shouldn't have been playing and let in 2 softies and with our top line doing their hardest to give away the puck at the oppositions blue line.... so, all in all, we should be very happy with the outcome last night

all that being said:
- krueger's personnel decisions are starting to become very hard to put up with - strange decisions for lines, ice time and goal tending are starting to become the norm with krueger
- eberle and RNH need to simplify their game (the most obvious observation ever, i know)... they are essentially useless right now, i'd rather the extra ice time be given to jones and eager until RNH and eberle decide to start playing hockey

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
- krueger's personnel decisions are starting to become very hard to put up with - strange decisions for lines, ice time and goal tending are starting to become the norm with krueger
- eberle and RNH need to simplify their game (the most obvious observation ever, i know)... they are essentially useless right now, i'd rather the extra ice time be given to jones and eager until RNH and eberle decide to start playing hockey

Krueger is MacT, it's as simple as that, right down to brain locking offensive players by 'teaching them to play defense'. Our offensive young guys look brain locked.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
i was super pissed last night, mostly at the coach and eberle/RNH/hemsky.... they are still the people i'm most upset with today, but as with all things in life, a nights sleep brings some perspective

we managed to grab a point against the best team in the league, in their own barn, with our best player out, with crappy coaching decisions, a goalie that shouldn't have been playing and let in 2 softies and with our top line doing their hardest to give away the puck at the oppositions blue line.... so, all in all, we should be very happy with the outcome last night

all that being said:

So he has the wrong lines out there, wrong ice-time, wrong goalie yet somehow we take a point from a record breaking team?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Been saying this for a while, but Petry is the most overrated player on the Oilers. He gets beat one-on-one more often than Ryan Whitney.

I hope they learn something from Chicago. The way the Blackhawks push the pace of play, play super aggressive on the forecheck, pressure the puck like crazy and just generally work their butts off is really impressive. That is modern hockey at its best.

Our d as a whole seemed to slow yesterday. Chicago chipped in behind them and were able to get the puck a lot. It's sad when you have a 15 foot head start and are losing the foot race.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
yeah, that is pretty much it.... if you watched the game last night and though we actually deserved a point, well, i don't know what to tell you then

Deserve or not he got us the point.

Maybe when we are losing 4-0 or 5-1 I'll call Kreuger out, but at this point there really is no reason.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Is there a podcast of Overtime openline on CHED after the games? I live out of town and enjoy listening to Tencer and fans flip out after a game like that.

The Podcasts of Oilers now and Tencers regular show help get me through a day in the office. Have the drama after a game would be icing on the cake.

You hear drunk ranting fans come on occasionally but I'm not sure what you mean about Tencer flipping out. The show is usually pretty tame.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
We did? It was comical to watch the Oilers trying to break out tonight especially when they had a three on two break. Soooooo slow. The Hawks always had time to get back on the back check.

Part of that is an experienced, talented Chicago defense that doesn't give up the blueline easy. They're gap control is excellent. I remember watching Pronger do it in ST Louis and Edmonton. The guy would have a 3-1 coming at him and he wouldn't give up the blue line and he'd force the oppostion to dump it.... well maybe slight exaggeration, but you get the picture.

Hawks D did a great job of not giving up the blue line.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
I've watched that overtime goal 10 times now.

Each time, I get more and more dumbfounded.

How in the name of all that is pure does an NHL defenceman go for a leisurely skate around the net after being pyloned like that?

It honestly looked like pond hockey.

Probably the same reason that Gagner and Hemsky stood around 25 feet from the net watching Hossa instead of backchecking.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Its funny that people are still blaming anybody but Petry for that goal. I didnt know he had so many family members on this board lol. If hes not benched next game then kruegers full of it as far as accountability goes. Petrys been junk all year, even with smid helping him out.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
According to reddit, Yakupov should be suspended for clipping when he ducked to avoid Carcillo.

Ha.

"Clipping."

You wouldn't be surprised if you had listened to the Chicago broadcast (I live in Chicago). Eddie Olczyk went on a rant after the play about Yakupov ducking Carcillo and then after a commerical break did a special segment on the play educating kids that this is not what you do (channeling Don Cherry on that one). He then mentioned the play a few more times for the remainder of the period.

Overall, he was very anti-Yakupov until he the scored that laser of a PP goal. Then Olczyk begrudgingly admitted after that play that Yakupov had a pretty good shot.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Probably the same reason that Gagner and Hemsky stood around 25 feet from the net watching Hossa instead of backchecking.

Ridiculous assessment.:shakehead:shakehead No one could anticipate Petry turning in to a human pylon. He had Sharp exactly where you want him...on the boards, where he can only go up or down. And then he watched him skate around him and crash the front of the net while taking a leisurely stroll behind the net to take a look. Hemsky and Gagner were doing their jobs...covering the dmen looking to get open. They had absolutely zero chance to help out. Gagner isn't the greatest defensive player but to put the blame, any of it, on him for that play, is beyond silly.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Petry's play in OT v. Sharp was costly just like Whitney on Jagr. Interesting to see how different the reaction has been.

Very intresting and true tweet.

Lets see if Petry is treated like Whitney here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad