Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 3-1

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
And if they read this board for the last four years they wouldn't be wrong in assuming that.
They're cherry picking certain posts to feed their agenda. Besides that, do they really expect an entire fanbase to remain uniformly negative during a tough era like this? We all want to believe that the suits in charge know what they're doing and that they're going to be able to right the ship... besides that, we're completely powerless.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
And if they read this board for the last four years they wouldn't be wrong in assuming that.

The organization is so out of touch with the fan base. They hear the voices of the majority of the fans who will put up with anything out of happiness that the team has a legitimate owner and isn't in serious threat of relocation. Edmontonians will always be secretly insecure about the stability of their team, and because of it the majority of fans are content with the fact it exists, and nothing more.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
They're cherry picking certain posts to feed their agenda. Besides that, do they really expect an entire fanbase to remain uniformly negative during a tough era like this? We all want to believe that the suits in charge know what they're doing and that they're going to be able to right the ship... besides that, we're completely powerless.
This year maybe. But for the last four seasons its been the majority of the posters salivating for a new rookie to slot into their imaginary lineup that will lead us to the imaginary SC. The draft threads are more active than the GDTs.

Not saying you are included in that group because I seem to recall a lot of complaining from you, but most of the board was actually cheering for the tank - fully on board in support of Katz and Tamby"s plan to sewer the team real good.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
This year maybe. But for the last four seasons its been the majority of the posters salivating for a new rookie to slot into their imaginary lineup that will lead us to the imaginary SC. The draft threads are more active than the GDTs.

Not saying you are included in that group because I seem to recall a lot of complaining from you, but most of the board was actually cheering for the tank - fully on board in support of Katz and Tamby"s plan to sewer the team real good.
Yeah... I'm notoriously negative but I labeled Tambo as a bust right from the get-go. The fact that he was passed over time and time again by the Canucks was a huge red flag. All Lowe did there was hire a buddy... like he always does.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yep, this board is certainly deserving of scorn and ridicule. If any other team board was cheering for the tank so fervently for several years running we'd be the first to criticize it.

I used to complain about threads and game day threads that were openly titled, and about supporting tanking. Never thought a fanboard should be allowed to get so cynical that GDT's were all about the tanking and wanting to lose with titles openly reflecting that. I take a poor view of that then and now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah... I'm notoriously negative but I labeled Tambo as a bust right from the get-go. The fact that he was passed over time and time again by the Canucks was a huge red flag. All Lowe did there was hire a buddy... like he always does.

Guy was here specifically for the tank. So freaking obvious.

If Larry, Curly, and Moe were running things it would be less suspect.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
At this point, MacT needs to remove all remnants of the "old Oilers" circa 2000-2007. Since Lowe will never be fired, it's Hemsky, Smyth and Horcoff.

Smyth should just be bought out, compliance or not, just out.

Hemsky, if he gets PPG, even better as higher value to sell.

Horcoff, I thought was the most serviceable [albeit overpaid] bottom 6'r but having seen him just disregard assignments or advice by peers [**** that SNET or TSN seem to not show since neither show faceoffs nowadays], he needs to go. I don't care if he's PPG either

All 3 are the epitome of losing and seems like neither of them care about anything but a pay cheque. Smyth may still bleed blue and orange but his age has caught up to him. The other 2 are clearly just paycheque players

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Maybe we should take Jeff Skinner with the first pick, or perhaps move down to get him..I heard he's a great skater and has a laser shot, however he tends to get caught with his head down alot, concussions may be a concern..

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Can you blame them? Those select few the ones who have been wanting the oilers to tank for years or trade all veterans for picks , they are the loser mentality.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Well, what did you expect with a team that was well out of the playoff race by January of every season? Of course, the draft threads were going to be more active than the GDT's towards the end of each season, what else was there to cheer for?
I do know that i would rather have Hall, RNH and Yakupov than the guys drafted between 7-10th.
Also, this isn't the only board actively cheering for a tank. I've seen just about every fanbase cheering for a tank towards the end of the season, every single one. It's natural to want the best prospect possible when there's absolutely nothing to play for towards the end of the season.

I have not actively wanted the team to tank until the last 10 games or so of these seasons and i can see why a lot of fans wanted these top prospects, that's the only way a team like the Oilers can build a core. I also understand why some fans get frustrated at the tank talk.
I am also hoping that they lose games down the stretch now not only to strengthen the draft position for better trade value/better prospect but to also force MacT's hand into making serious changes starting with the entire coaching staff.

I was in support of Tambellini's plan up until this past offseason when he did nothing but bring in 2 rookies. I expected him to do more at that point and was real disappointed that he expected Schultz and Yakupov to turn this into a playoff team.
Now, i have no expectations anymore. Just numb at this point and hope for the best.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think some people are confusing supporting "the tank" with supporting "the rebuild". I've personally been onboard with the rebuild since it began.

In my mind I saw it as the only way out of the perpetual abyss of mediocrity this team was in... and barring another unlikely Cinderella run... was likely going to be the story for the foreseeable future as well.

I personally never supported a "tank" every year... rather I supported management culling the crap in the org and replacing it with young prospects to be developed and the franchise being rebuilt internally and organically at both the AHL and NHL levels.

Obviously management has to add some veteran bodies as well to help fill out the roster during this rebuild phase as the youth can't do it all... and that's largely where management has failed so far. Adding a supportive cast that can somewhat shelter and contribute to help this young core group is also an essential part of the rebuild and obviously that's one area that hasn't been addressed adequately.

Fundamentally though... the rebuild WAS and IS the best plan of action. Management and fans who supported the rebuild were probably collectively naive to think it would go smoothly... linear development and improvement every year was not something that could realistically be expected.

Management has obviously made many mistakes in addressing the needs to help make this roster more competitive... more toughness, more size, more determination and a higher work ethic is obviously lacking in many areas of the team... it's not just a lack of pure skill and talent (although that would be beneficial as well).

But back to the main point, I personally wanted this team to improve and win. This season I was ridiculously optimistic and predicted a 5th place finish for the Oilers... thinking this might be the year they would take a quantum leap up in the standings. Obviously not. It was apparent after a short while this season that wasn't at all likely.

Now I am definitely in tank mode since the Oilers are out of the playoffs. Yes I want a top 8 pick... and why not? The higher they pick the better the asset they get.

Next season starts... I'll again be watching and thinking playoffs (maybe naively yet again)... but again the team's performance will tell the story of whether this rebuild is off the rails or not. Playoffs should be an expectation next season. I don't think that's impossible but it depends on off season acquisitions and moves.

If the supporting cast is improved... no reason this team can't be in contention for a spot in the top 8.

I only support "the tank" when realistic hope is lost for a playoff spot.. like it has been for weeks now.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
If we are going to meet rock bottom then I want it at the hands of "THE ROCK" himself. " Can you smell .....what the Rock is cooking? "

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Ok that one made me laugh. For that I reward you with delicious cookies to look at.

img_3298.jpg

:laugh: I thought those were pogs...

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
No GDT today? lol

Anybody know of any good spots to donate tickets to tonight? I have up to 6 I want to give away (All over $100 face value). Not wasting my time going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad