Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1, sky is falling, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
After a lot of thought and reading posts in here, I've been far too hard on McDavid. I let the "generational talent" tag cloud my judgement. All things considered, he had a decent if unspectacular debut. He showed some flashes of the things that make him great, I can't wait until he get his feet under him.

Forgive me for the leaps to conclusions. Yesterday was frustrating and emotional watching another loss.

In his 1st NHL game he went up against one of the best teams in the league, faced their top defensive pairing and line all night and didn't look out of place. Now let's see how he does facing Weber all night for his 2nd game.

chance

Embrace the Hate
Oct 9, 2006
Yak muffed up huge on 2 plays could been in the lead easily 3-2, heart breaker good compete though.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
In his 1st NHL game he went up against one of the best teams in the league, faced their top defensive pairing and line all night and didn't look out of place. Now let's see how he does facing Weber all night for his 2nd game.

I like Nashville's D way more than St. Louis's.

Weber, Josi, Jones and even Ellis. Rinne > St. Louis's Goalies too

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Is it sad that I'd be really happy if Hall and Yakupov produced at the level of Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm surprised at how many people like these new lines and I'm disappointed that Mclellan is line juggling already. How is the team supposed to develop chemistry if the lines are always being juggled?

The 3rd line is interesting but the top 2 lines look gross. Hall and RNH don't really click that well. It worked better when RNH would defer to Hall as the line driver in his early years but since RNH is morphing his game into more of a line driver, I think he works better with players who play off of him. Now, Hall is going to carry the puck most of the time which will likely turn RNH into a passenger.

It's nice that McDavid has vets flanking him but is that line ever going to score? The top 6 not only has one line anchor in Purcell but now two with Korpikoski who should ideally be on the 3rd line and even more ideally on the 4th line. McDavid isn't good enough yet to carry dead weight. Even Pouliot is more of a 3rd liner playing a top 6 role especially when there is a plug on his other wing.

Ugh, I just don't like that top 6 at all. I think Mclellan should have given the previous combinations more of a chance to gel. Too much of a panic reaction to a struggle against an elite team on the road. Not a fan of this move and all this faith he has in Purcell.

It hasn't really been one game though, it's been several games now going back to pre-season where Hall and McDavid just don't look to be clicking. It's fine to change it I say.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Also
Pouliot, McDavid and Korpi can work pretty well. Korpi is fast and is pretty good in the corners, Pouliot has a good scoring puck and great on the forecheck. Plus 2 vets to helo McDavid is a great idea.

Hall and RNH have always been good together if Eberle wasn't there. 2 of the 3 work, all 3 doesn't. Hall and RNH are skilled enough to make up for Purcell and is the safest place to put him without waiving him.

Well done, guess who is playing together today?

You nailed it McDeath! Poo, McD and Korpi it is!

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm surprised at how many people like these new lines and I'm disappointed that Mclellan is line juggling already. How is the team supposed to develop chemistry if the lines are always being juggled?

The 3rd line is interesting but the top 2 lines look gross. Hall and RNH don't really click that well. It worked better when RNH would defer to Hall as the line driver in his early years but since RNH is morphing his game into more of a line driver, I think he works better with players who play off of him. Now, Hall is going to carry the puck most of the time which will likely turn RNH into a passenger.

It's nice that McDavid has vets flanking him but is that line ever going to score? The top 6 not only has one line anchor in Purcell but now two with Korpikoski who should ideally be on the 3rd line and even more ideally on the 4th line. McDavid isn't good enough yet to carry dead weight. Even Pouliot is more of a 3rd liner playing a top 6 role especially when there is a plug on his other wing.

Ugh, I just don't like that top 6 at all. I think Mclellan should have given the previous combinations more of a chance to gel. Too much of a panic reaction to a struggle against an elite team on the road. Not a fan of this move and all this faith he has in Purcell.
You have to find chemistry before you can develop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad