Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-0. The lockout was more fun than this.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Which game were you watching? Eberle was beside the net providing no screen whatsoever. Besides that job should fall on Joensuu. Big body and has shown he can clean up garbage.

That 5 on 3 was an epic fail by this coaching staff and someone's head should roll for how far it has fallen from last season.

He was just jk around. See the pixie on the right?

Whats with Joensuu since the injury. I imagine with a back injury (not sure how serious) he's playing not 100% but hardly hits the ice and barely notice him now. Hopefully this is injury related and not complacency related.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
no team has been shutout 3 straight game since the 72/73 North Stars

yay for records!

Interesting that the homer broadcast never mentioned this. They just mentioned it was the worst futility record alltime for the Oilers.

btw, this is the scoreline for the last 5 home starts, all losses of course;

4-1
4-1(late meaningless goal otherwise a shutout.)
4-0
5-0
3-0

Meaning we've been outscored 20-2 in the last 5 home ice games for an average score of 4-0 during those contests (rounded down)

This is what your home ice Oilers are doing for the hometown faithful. This is what these bloated contracts are doing for you. Should i add that the only two goals were scored by Ryan Smyth and Justin Schultz and that none of the kidstar forwards were involved in any of them?

This team just doesn't care. Home ice= social agenda and hitting the clubs for some of these players and wiping the bad memory of home games out of their minds. On some instances seemingly ASAP as some players have notably left the building quicker than Elvis.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
When Eakins got here wasn't one of his talking points that players were not going to just leave the rink when the game was done?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
When Eakins got here wasn't one of his talking points that players were not going to just leave the rink when the game was done?

He even brought it up during the earlier homestand at the start of the year. He singled it out without mentioning names. But we fairly know why the names weren't mentioned and we also know who's pictures were being posted here drinking in watering holes after some of the horrific losses. This being AFTER Eakins outed this.

But Eakins won't touch anybody named Hall, Eberle, or Schultz. Theres no way any of these players were bringing their best efforts. Eberle right now ought to be benched. We'll see if that ever happens. I'm betting against it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He even brought it up during the earlier homestand at the start of the year. He singled it out without mentioning names. But we fairly no why the names weren't mentioned and we also know who's pictures were being posted here drinking in watering holes after some of the horrific losses. This being AFTER Eakins outed this.

But Eakins won't touch anybody named Hall, Eberle, or Schultz. Eberle right now ought to be benched. We'll see if that ever happens. I'm betting against it.

I'm betting Lowe and Katz have told every coach that those three get treated with kid gloves and they WILL get ice time no matter how they play.

as an aside, last night I watched one of the better Canadian made movies I have seen in "Bon Cop, Bad Cop". I recommend it.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
Pretty sad with the state of the team. I expected alot better. Oh well.

PS. Looks like notorious HFBoards bad boy TPH was at the game last night..

BZDNcGnCYAAYgTg.jpg

Last edited:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
He even brought it up during the earlier homestand at the start of the year. He singled it out without mentioning names. But we fairly know why the names weren't mentioned and we also know who's pictures were being posted here drinking in watering holes after some of the horrific losses. This being AFTER Eakins outed this.

But Eakins won't touch anybody named Hall, Eberle, or Schultz. Theres no way any of these players were bringing their best efforts. Eberle right now ought to be benched. We'll see if that ever happens. I'm betting against it.

Totally agree with the suggestions for benching. I don't get why Eakins doesn't grow a backbone and bench them when they play this bad. He has to know his job is on the line anyway, so ***k management and show them how it needs to be done.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This reminds me of as the Bombers misserable season sputtered to a haunt.....gorgeous new stadium but a pathetic organization from top to bottom. They were interviewing the head coach and dead man walking Tim Burke about what the key to getting this thing turned around next season would be and Burke said with a wry gin "stability" :laugh: Tim new he was gone and managed a tough moment with humor and dignity.

I keep coming back to Kevin Lowe in that press conference......where is that puke hiding these days.
Lowe is spending his time these days scouting for the Canadian Olympic Hockey Team. His organization is in a shambles and he's off doing something else. No question this is a professionally run organization.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm betting Lowe and Katz have told every coach that those three get treated with kid gloves and they WILL get ice time no matter how they play.

as an aside, last night I watched one of the better Canadian made movies I have seen in "Bon Cop, Bad Cop". I recommend it.

I like Canadian movies. Seen it.

Heres one of my favorite recent Canadian movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1143110/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_16

Madcap crime comedy, love the dialogue, interaction, Canadian feel to the movie.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Totally agree with the suggestions for benching. I don't get why Eakins doesn't grow a backbone and bench them when they play this bad. He has to know his job is on the line anyway, so ***k management and show them how it needs to be done.

What do you do when the coach needs to be benched?

These guys are playing the best they can in a system that has been implemented with no regard for their ability to perform within it. If we had a team full of 6'4, 230 grinders and no skill, I'd understand it, but we don't.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Which game were you watching? Eberle was beside the net providing no screen whatsoever. Besides that job should fall on Joensuu. Big body and has shown he can clean up garbage.

That 5 on 3 was an epic fail by this coaching staff and someone's head should roll for how far it has fallen from last season.
my post was pure sarcasm. The tinker bell emoticon was my attempt at portraying Eberle as the ***** he is. What I was referring to for the most part was that he actually was standing in front of the net for at least 10 seconds at one point but then he bailed and got the hell out of the way just as the puck went back to the point and the shot was taken.

If people are really interested in getting to the root of the problem of this team on the ice, the place to start is with Eberle. This guy has no interest what so ever in getting his hands dirty. The team is lucky to get one shift of intensity out of him a game.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

These guys are playing the best they can in a system that has been implemented with no regard for their ability to perform within it. If we had a team full of 6'4, 230 grinders and no skill, I'd understand it, but we don't.

Good lord. You're telling us that Washington's, Montreal's, and Detroit's players would play this poorly in the system we have?

Eakins uses a system that requires you to put in the effort. Doesn't matter how big you are.

Most people were ecstatic when Kreuger with his apparently player-friendly system had the team sniffing the playoffs. Guess what happened when we had a chance to make the playoffs: we choked because our players are entitled kids who can't take pressure and lack drive.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Gagner has easily been the worst Oiler since he's been back. How much longer do we keep spoon feeding him top 6 minutes and 5on3 PP's? And how much longer can he use 'coming back from injury' excuse for his suckage?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Gagner has easily been the worst Oiler since he's been back. How much longer do we keep spoon feeding him top 6 minutes and 5on3 PP's? And how much longer can he use 'coming back from injury' excuse for his suckage?

I'd argue until that full face shield comes off. I don't want to give him a free ride, but that thing looks annoying as hell.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Totally agree. I don't know how he hasn't been put on the 4th line or PB and Arco get his job back. He has been the poster boy for poor D coverage and brutal turnovers. Arco has been 10 times the player Gagner has shown this year.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-Arcobello-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Acton-Jones

Shift Gagner to the wing, because he's worse than ineffective down the middle. Re-unite the kids in a desperate attempt to score against San Jose.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Please start a FIRE LOWE chant at your next home game. He is such an arrogant clown. I hate mismanagement.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
my post was pure sarcasm. The tinker bell emoticon was my attempt at portraying Eberle as the ***** he is. What I was referring to for the most part was that he actually was standing in front of the net for at least 10 seconds at one point but then he bailed and got the hell out of the way just as the puck went back to the point and the shot was taken.

If people are really interested in getting to the root of the problem of this team on the ice, the place to start is with Eberle. This guy has no interest what so ever in getting his hands dirty. The team is lucky to get one shift of intensity out of him a game.

My mistake about your post.

But Eberle is hardly the biggest problem on the team. The system the team is playing is, imo.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013

OUR COACH SUCKS>stupid training camp. stupid lines. stupid systems.
But all you geniuses want to blame players for stupid coaches stupid lines stupid systems . When you have a LOT of stupid...that basically leads to zero confidence. So stupid

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Yah I really don't understand Eakin's decision to put Gagner on the point on that 5 on 3 PP. Yakupov would have been much better served there with his shot. But hey, I guess Eakins doesn't wanna give in to Larionov's pressure :sarcasm:

That's exactly what it looked like - a move to spite him. You have a weapon like the Yakupov 1-timer sitting on the bench in the exact moment when he's most likely to succeed.

Yaks has trouble finding soft spots on the ice. He has a hard time receiving the puck in stride cause he has no idea how to join a rush that he's not leading. His teammates dont trust him to take a pass anywhere in the defensive or neutral zone. None of those are issues on a 5 on 3. The coach needs to use the player in the right situations

Last edited:

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
He was just jk around. See the pixie on the right?

Whats with Joensuu since the injury. I imagine with a back injury (not sure how serious) he's playing not 100% but hardly hits the ice and barely notice him now. Hopefully this is injury related and not complacency related.

i don't know, he looked very good at times to my liking. maybe he isn't enforcing too much contact but he still looks restless and tries to get involved all the time. perhaps he's been testing his back to know if it can be trusted.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
OUR COACH SUCKS>stupid training camp. stupid lines. stupid systems.
But all you geniuses want to blame players for stupid coaches stupid lines stupid systems . When you have a LOT of stupid...that basically leads to zero confidence. So stupid

When you're on your 4th coach in 5 years, I think it's time to realize that the coaches aren't the primary reason for the teams troubles. Maybe this current one isn't great or doing exactly what some people want, but there is a much bigger problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad