Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-0. The lockout was more fun than this.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I know we lose, but overall it wasn't a horrid loss. I thought we had quite a few chances that just didn't go our way. Our PP while unsuccessful was moving the puck and getting shots. I thought the PK did well, we got solid goaltending and won the physical battle.

Interesting to hear that the PP was getting shots. I only saw the first half the game where the PP was horrendous and failed to register a shot.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Im thinking they will be scratching Eakins and we will see Mact behind the bench.

I'd love to see this happen, and think it's the only real option if Eakins is sent packing (which I doubt). The team is an absolute mess, and you continually hear the sports announcers alluding to this. They try and sugarcoat it, but basically they're saying this team doesn't have a clue. If Eakins acts the same way in the dressing room as he does with the press, than I wouldn't be listening to him either.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Worst start in franchise history = Fire Eakins. No excuse for this mess. We have too much talent and we're pretty much completely healthy.

I'm sick of being the joke of the league, and **** Eakins feelings. Fire him, hire a coach with NHL experience.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting to hear that the PP was getting shots. I only saw the first half the game where the PP was horrendous and failed to register a shot.

I thought they had 4 on one of them. At least they had control though and were getting shots towards the net. I do think they need a bit more net presence as the guy seems to **** off at times, but the PP is a lot better looking than 5 games ago.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Worst start in franchise history = Fire Eakins. No excuse for this mess. We have too much talent and we're pretty much completely healthy.

I'm sick of being the joke of the league, and **** Eakins feelings. Fire him, hire a coach with NHL experience.

It's too late to save this season.So the best thing for the Oilers this year is Ekblad.

Fire Eakins when the season is over.

oilers000

May 3, 2013
Small Market Teams Suck!

I just noticed this. The NHL is turning into how soccer and baseball has been for all eternity. You currently have all the high populated area teams doing extremely well and the low populated area teams that are crap...

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I just noticed this. The NHL is turning into how soccer and baseball has been for all eternity. You currently have all the high populated area teams doing extremely well and the low populated area teams that are crap...

In the East this is arguable. In the West, it's just false

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
My son's Novice team has more compete and finish than this team. Even with quality goaltending, this team sucks. Three straight games at home without a goal? Disgrace. Hall was awful last night... such low percentage passes and shots all night long.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
In the East this is arguable. In the West, it's just false

Independant owners and a salary cap spell coincidence even if it was completely true that all small market teams are doing poor and all large market teams are doing well.

NYR and the Flyers are good examples of why its not even a true statement in the first place

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
My son's Novice team has more compete and finish than this team. Even with quality goaltending, this team sucks. Three straight games at home without a goal? Disgrace. Hall was awful last night... such low percentage passes and shots all night long.

Agree. Hall was dreadful all game. Played outside of himself, couldn't execute simple plays.
PP was stagnant, lacked creativity. Only guy who looked to shoot was Perron. Why wasn't Yakupov on the 5 on 3? It's literally the only situation Yakupov could succeed in given his current form.
Petry on the goal - wow. That's a hang-your-head-in-shame kind of play. Let a guy waltz around you untouched, only to bury the puck top shelf standing 2 feet away from your net.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Independant owners and a salary cap spell coincidence even if it was completely true that all small market teams are doing poor and all large market teams are doing well.

NYR and the Flyers are good examples of why its not even a true statement in the first place

There's definitely a correlation between big markets and rich owners, or willingness to spend to the cap. True though, this doesn't translate in to on-ice results

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
When Hemskyfan can't even be bothered to put up Game Reports you know things have hit a new low.

Dark days for sure.

One day this will be behind us, but no idea when that will be.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is the worst joke of a PP I've ever seen. 5 on 3 advantage, 5 forwards not named Yakupov spend nearly 2 mins of a two man advantage trying to feed Eberle who hasn't scored a goal on a shot since last season.

Yakupov looking on wondering how he can score the big goal from the bench. Larionov wondering why he showed up.

Eakins keeps giving toi to players that deserve it lmfao.

That PP was ****ing knob hockey. 5 forwards stationary, passing the puck around with nobody in front of the net, no movement, oh **** it......
Obviously you didn't watch the game. Eberle was standing in front of the net during that 5 on 3. He just made sure that he got the hell out of the way as soon as he thought somebody was ready to shoot it.:tinker:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Agree. Hall was dreadful all game. Played outside of himself, couldn't execute simple plays.
PP was stagnant, lacked creativity. Only guy who looked to shoot was Perron. Why wasn't Yakupov on the 5 on 3? It's literally the only situation Yakupov could succeed in given his current form.
Petry on the goal - wow. That's a hang-your-head-in-shame kind of play. Let a guy waltz around you untouched, only to bury the puck top shelf standing 2 feet away from your net.

Yah I really don't understand Eakin's decision to put Gagner on the point on that 5 on 3 PP. Yakupov would have been much better served there with his shot. But hey, I guess Eakins doesn't wanna give in to Larionov's pressure :sarcasm:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

You really want to blame all of this on revenues?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Put MacT behind the bench... (I cant believe its come to this either..)

If you won't play for your GM.. then burn it to the ground.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Which is worse, watching the every second day oiler game or watching the every day Rob Ford press conference? Close call.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Put MacT behind the bench... (I cant believe its come to this either..)

If you won't play for your GM.. then burn it to the ground.

The day MacT was rehired as vice pres in charge of something or other a number of us said he'd be back behind the bench sooner or later.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think that we all need to go to O.A. (Oilerholic Anonymous) to rid us of this morale threatening illness. I'll start....

Hi, I'm CupofOil and i'm an Oilerholic.

Join with me my friends. Lets rid of this disgusting disease together.
Hopefully the Tier 1's in particular take notice and stop going to games altogether. They in particular have this disease the worst and are the ones who need to send a message to Uncle Phamaceutical Money Bags by not going to the games until sweeping management changes are made.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I'm going to put some major blame on previous management, coaching staff, Hemsky and the kids to describe the situation we are in. A lot of this narrows down to the way Hemsky plays. We now see the kids doing it as well. He dangles, makes high risk passes and ends up turning the puck over a lot, and at terrible spots on the ice. This wasn't as big an issue when he was the only one doing it, but now we see Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, J. Schultz and to a lesser extent, RNH going it as well. Good teams have players that can do this, but in low risk situations, ie. by the other teams net. Everybody is in awe when it works, but it rarely does, and then leads to a major break for the other team. Previous coaching staff's didn't bench Hemsky for doing it, or limit his ice time, which lead to our current young group thinking this was acceptable. Previous management didn't move or let Hemsky go or trade him, so the "learning" continued for our players.

We now see Yakupov getting limited ice time for doing it, along with poor D coverage, while the rest of the youth does it and doesn't see their ice time cut for it. This is a huge double standard, but quite frankly, I don't know what Eakins is supposed to do with so many players being guilty of it. I don't know why Yakupov was targeted, but he really should be getting 5-10 minutes/game for the way he is playing. So should the rest of them as well though. We are a team of high risk danglers, and it looks pathetic.

How we get out of this mold, I have no idea. Do you trade 2 or 3 of them, tell the rest to stop, and if they don't bench them? You can't bench 5 guys in order to get it to stop and then you are left with giving guys like Smyth/Gazdic 20 minutes/game, can you? We are losing either way, and the season is done, so maybe next time Hall throws one up the middle on his own side of the ice, he gets benched the rest of the period. Ditto for anyone else as well. A message needs to be sent so this crap stops.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Obviously you didn't watch the game. Eberle was standing in front of the net during that 5 on 3. He just made sure that he got the hell out of the way as soon as he thought somebody was ready to shoot it.:tinker:

Which game were you watching? Eberle was beside the net providing no screen whatsoever. Besides that job should fall on Joensuu. Big body and has shown he can clean up garbage.

That 5 on 3 was an epic fail by this coaching staff and someone's head should roll for how far it has fallen from last season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He cared enough to text Bob to tell us all that Craig wasnt going anywhere didnt he?
Aaaahhhh, the good old days. Back then the team waited until the final week of the season to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Now a days it happens in the last week of November.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I, for one, would love to see Hall or Eberle get benched for poor play. It just seems like they can do no wrong. Case in point, 5 on 3 PP was awful yet Eakins stuck with the same group for the full 2 mins. And Hall was struggling all night but never missed a shift. Pull the goalie? Hall is the 6th man out there and ends up giving the puck away to Seguin. I can see why Yakupov would be a little frustrated when he sees this double standard.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Which is worse, watching the every second day oiler game or watching the every day Rob Ford press conference? Close call.

Which is worse, believing from day one Rob Ford didn't smoke crack or the Oilers had a chance to make the playoffs;):cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad