Oilers Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I thought we were supposed to be 25th place with a bullet after tonight? :sarcasm:

Believe me, I take no solace in these losses, but it's nice to see Chia's chickens come home to roost. 2015-16 is all on him.

You can't expect a GM to trade away very valuable players before he's ever had a chance to be close to the team, can you? It is reasonable to wait 30+ games watching them before talking with your brand new coach and deciding who should stay and who should go. Taking into account injuries and poor production from these so called "stars" we have, it's no surprise they haven't been traded yet.

Chiarelli brought in Talbot, Sekera, Kassian, Letestu, Gryba. They've all been valuable players for us this year. He's done well. Like someone posted before, look at what he did with Boston. A 2 point increase during his first year, and then a 20+ point bump his second year.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
You can't expect a GM to trade away very valuable players before he's ever had a chance to be close to the team, can you? It is reasonable to wait 30+ games watching them before talking with your brand new coach and deciding who should stay and who should go. Taking into account injuries and poor production from these so called "stars" we have, it's no surprise they haven't been traded yet.

Chiarelli brought in Talbot, Sekera, Kassian, Letestu, Gryba. They've all been valuable players for us this year. He's done well. Like someone posted before, look at what he did with Boston. A 2 point increase during his first year, and then a 20+ point bump his second year.

He also brought in Reinhart, Nilsson, kept Schultz, Fayne, Klink, and let go of Roy. He is about 50/50 in decisions.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He also brought in Reinhart, Nilsson, kept Schultz, Fayne, Klink, and let go of Roy. He is about 50/50 in decisions.

I would say Reinhart was the doing of Green and co. Reinhart is still a promising prospect.

Nilsson didn't let in a goal all through training camp. He looked unbeatable, and who were we going to bring in instead? He has fallen off but looked incredibly sharp to start the season. Besides, him sending Scrivens down put us in a position to acquire Kassian.

Nobody wants Schultz, nobody wants Fayne, nobody wants Klink, nobody wants Roy.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
No GM that has their team in 30th has "done well".

I would look at his work in Boston and say by next season he will have it figured out. He has brought in key gritty guys like Letestu and Kassian. Those players would have fit in nicely on Boston's 3rd and 4th lines. I think you will see players who wouldn't have fit well into that 2011 team like Eberle, Yakupov, and RNH gone for defence.

Damn I really like that Blandisi kid in New Jersey. I wonder if we could get Larsson and Blandisi from them. He reminds me a bit of Brad Marchand but smaller and less physical.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
couple of stats jump out at me--for all the wrong reasons

Shots on net Leaders--Yak and Letestu with 3 each

TOI Davidson and Gryba with 20+

Oilers went 0/3 on the PP
while giving up 2/5

it is the nibbley thinsg that are starting to annoy me about this team

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I've never seen a team with such a low collective iQ.

Bad passing, shooting and not engaging the opposition.

They always shoot the puck along the boards to the pinching opposition instead of passing into the vacant middle areas. No wonder they can never break out of their zone cleanly.

Lots of errors even when they win. Seems like they don't, get it and want to improve.

Hope their replacements fare better.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
And the fact yak played 13 minutes leads me to believe you are blind to the lack of actual scoring from the top 6 the last 3 games. They look very busy.. but getting nothing done
What in the hell has this to do with anything in my post :help: Yakupov last 11 games 2 goals 0 a 2 flipping points on a current 6 game pointless streak to go along with a 7 game pointless streak after Mcdavid was injured and he has had many of these in his career already. Obvious the top line has been struggling but this was not the topic I was responding to ,But hey nice out of the blue completely off topic response to my post , I guess this is you trying to be edgy :shakehead

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I've never seen a team with such a low collective iQ.

Bad passing, shooting and not engaging the opposition.

They always shoot the puck along the boards to the pinching opposition instead of passing into the vacant middle areas. No wonder they can never break out of their zone cleanly.

Lots of errors even when they win. Seems like they don't, get it and want to improve.

Hope their replacements fare better.

What the Oliers have shown me is that you cant have a successful team when all you "leaders" are making big money under the age of 24,or just being under the age of 24. Veterans that might be decent playing in your bottom six doesn't cut it. And Sekera cant be your leader or best d man or this will just continue on and on. If over the next six months you cant get a couple veteran forwards and a couple established d man I dont know what to say.

Trade bait:
2016 1st
Yakupov
Rnh
Eberle
(id include Nurse) Id probably do Nurse for Hamonic for leadership.
2017 first/other picks.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's obviously much too early to start judging the current team management. (I also thought it was too early to judge MacTavish... and Krueger, whom MacT fired... but anyway....)

However, what's just abysmal is that Oilers' fan are now on 10 years of disappointment.

The current management might do a good job, but it's still going to be at least 11 straight years of crap hockey for the fans. Which is unbelievable.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
Watching the Oilers go after pucks last night reminded me of Cam Newton going after his own fumble...

cam-newton-jumps-back-after-fumbling.gif

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
What I can't figure out is how people are able to continue to buy season tickets to watch this **** show...man, some people are dedicated - will give them that. At least at home, we can turn it off.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some bad puck luck on a couple of primo chances cost us the game, then again throwing a foot and half floater to the blueline for no reason on the PP sure doesn't help.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What I can't figure out is how people are able to continue to buy season tickets to watch this **** show...man, some people are dedicated - will give them that. At least at home, we can turn it off.

Probably has something to do with what happened last week when we destroyed two teams. A lot of people are going to go to the games because that can happen on any given night.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Urgh.

Only positives were from Davidson, Hall and Talbot. McDavid and Hall you gotta bury those breakaway chances. At least Hall's was on net. McDavid hit the outside of the post. :s

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I'll give Chiarelli this much. He hasn't done much but he doesn't have much to work with either. There is mentally no core to this team even. Most guys don't show up on a consistent basis, they are always injured (if Oiler players get injured they are out for weeks instead of days), they can't handle adversity of any kind, can't handle success of any kind (two huge games after McDavid came back), and throw in the towel against the better teams before they even get there (all other bottom teams beat the top teams at times - Oilers chalk up a L before they even start). This may be a much worse scenario than Boston was.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll give Chiarelli this much. He hasn't done much but he doesn't have much to work with either. There is mentally no core to this team even. Most guys don't show up on a consistent basis, they are always injured (if Oiler players get injured they are out for weeks instead of days), they can't handle adversity of any kind, can't handle success of any kind (two huge games after McDavid came back), and throw in the towel against the better teams before they even get there (all other bottom teams beat the top teams at times - Oilers chalk up a L before they even start). This may be a much worse scenario than Boston was.

No he has a lot to work with the problem is even though he's new everyone wants something done now.

I've mentioned in the past that I wouldn't be surprised if he's identified who he wants to keep and who he wants to move. The problem is the deal probably doesn't happen until the off-season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No he has a lot to work with the problem is even though he's new everyone wants something done now.

I've mentioned in the past that I wouldn't be surprised if he's identified who he wants to keep and who he wants to move. The problem is the deal probably doesn't happen until the off-season.
I mean we could move Eberle for a dman now... But we won't like the dman

McDeathbyCheerios*

At some point things have to change.

For "talented, young forwards" they don't exactly produce a lot consistently.
I'm not saying it doesnt. I'm saying that the d we want are on playoff teams and this point of the year won't get moved. Off season has to be huge for us.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not saying it doesnt. I'm saying that the d we want are on playoff teams and this point of the year won't get moved. Off season has to be huge for us.

I don't disagree but I don't want this team to wait forever for a deal that may not happen. At the very least the TDL is the perfect time to dangle one of the forwards and hopefully hook a desperate GM.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't disagree but I don't want this team to wait forever for a deal that may not happen. At the very least the TDL is the perfect time to dangle one of the forwards and hopefully hook a desperate GM.
The problem is who is looking to move such an impact player at TDL? We might get lucky with some of the non-playoff teams, but I doubt a playoff team is really going to move guys we want for one of our fowards.

I also don't doubt that PC already is dangling guys

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem is who is looking to move such an impact player at TDL? We might get lucky with some of the non-playoff teams, but I doubt a playoff team is really going to move guys we want for one of our fowards.

I also don't doubt that PC already is dangling guys
Yeah.. teams don't grab 6 million dollar non rental forwards during the tdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad