Oilers Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
If New Jersey had even one legitimate scoring threat on their team, it would've been 5-1 NJ. They dominated us. Did we even stay in their zone longer than 15 seconds at a time?

Our team can only score off the rush and that doesn't work well in today's NHL. Sustained pressure is what wins you games.

I'm totally looking forward to what the offense of Anaheim can do coming up... 8-1, 9-1, 10-1? More? :shakehead

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It's pathetic. The one time we only allow 2 goals, the supposedly "STRENGTH" of our team, our top 6 cannot even sustain offensive zone pressure and chances.

This team is so broken. It's like trying to fix up a house that's in terrible condition.

It's easier to just tear the whole fking thing down and rebuild it then try and patch it like chia has with the Reinhart trade and waiver pick ups.

What made this rebuild (2010-now) fail is we literally hit on ZERO picks after the first round, including two FIRST OVERALLS who are underachieving.

My head hurts...

I would like to add, this is also what happens when you build a team from the "wings" out.
Generally, you start with goaltending and D, and then move upwards from there. I'm not saying we don't draft Hall in 2010. But things should have been done then to start laying the foundation for a good D that weren't, and we're reaping that in spades now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Did you just compare Lucic to Clarkson?

Come on man.

I am not comparing the players per say....I am comparing their value relative to their contracts.

Opening the vault for Lucic is what bad teams do.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lucic is everything we're missing on our top 6. I personally think he still has 4-5 good years left where he can play a top 6 role. He's been very durable over his career and he's not as slow as some people think he is just because of his reputation as a big mean power forward.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just thought I'd throw a little optimism and 'perspective' on the fire:

It's now been...

- 10 years since the Oilers qualified for the playoffs

- 10 years since the Oilers finished as high as the top-15 teams overall in the NHL... and they've done this only once in 26 years

- 15 years since the Oilers finished as high as 2nd in their own division

- 26 years since the Oilers finished in the top-10 NHL teams overall

- 8 winning records in the past 23 seasons

- 25 years since the Oilers opened a playoff series with home-ice advantage (Messier was still on the team)

- 26 years since the Oilers had a top-5 scorer in the NHL

- 29 years since the Oilers finished 1st in their own division or had a 100-point season

MAY3517.pvw.jpg

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Yak skates around looking busy produces nothing same old same old Yak fed money shot in slot whiffs on it carry on I guess with your Yak colored glasses . I guess it was Letestu fault for him fanning on the best feed of the night .
Yak also had a pass go into his feet because he was looking back on a pp to see if ref was calling a penalty

Yak has a brutal hockey IQ. No anticipation skills offensively and even worse defensively..Yak don't do defense.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
The game has changed and like always the Oilers get left behind.

You don't need much skill on your team anymore. It's probably the least desired attribute in an NHL player these days.

If you skate well, stick to structure, don't try anything fancy. You have success.

Jersery took us to the woodshed.
Basically just got in our faces all game. Bent us over and had their way with us in the corners. They made sure there was no room and kicked the living snot out of us in every puck battle over the ice.

Then played the odds. If we have the puck more... and direct the puck on the net more.. we score more. that's all the game is at the NHL level now days.[/QUOTE
This is so true. Unfortunately we've been getting high draft picks in this boring dead puck ear of NHL hockey where size and speed are huge factors and skill rarely shines.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He does defense but sucks at it. That's actually a really significant and important difference going forward.

Elite prospects really ****ed up lol:

A very speedy forward with excellent offensive abilities. Is a highly skilled stickhandler with good hockey sense and a powerful release. Moves the puck very well in full speed and has the skills needed to score goals in many different ways. Good work ethic and is fairly sound defensively. (EP 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad