Oilers Leadership

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It wasnt a bag skate. Hitch explained hes going to have to play those 3 a ton in a game and cant make them exhuasted at practice.

Hes indirectly calling out Chiarelli for sucking at making moves and giving his a shit roster.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It wasnt a bag skate. Hitch explained hes going to have to play those 3 a ton in a game and cant make them exhuasted at practice.

Hes indirectly calling out Chiarelli for sucking at making moves and giving his a **** roster.

This.. the original poster's use of the word bag skate was disingenuous.
I heard from multiple sources that it was a regular drill with mild contact and in no way a bag skate sheesh.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Boys with the recent information of Hitchcock letting McDavid, Drai and Nuge off practice early while the rest of the team got bag skates I really got to question the leadership of this move.

First off Hitchcock should not be pinning his top players against the rest of the team like this, what does it accomplish? Outside a few it looks like they are all trying hard, why punish them because they aren’t as skilled? They won’t magically acquire McDavid skill by trying harder in practice.

Second, why didn’t McDavid and the boys refuse to leave their guys behind? Was this a test to see what Connor would do? I think they should have said no we’re not going and lead by example in the bag skate.

What do you boys think?

So if you behave well but your brother is naughty you think you should also be punished.... Just because...

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Boys with the recent information of Hitchcock letting McDavid, Drai and Nuge off practice early while the rest of the team got bag skates I really got to question the leadership of this move.

First off Hitchcock should not be pinning his top players against the rest of the team like this, what does it accomplish? Outside a few it looks like they are all trying hard, why punish them because they aren’t as skilled? They won’t magically acquire McDavid skill by trying harder in practice.

Second, why didn’t McDavid and the boys refuse to leave their guys behind? Was this a test to see what Connor would do? I think they should have said no we’re not going and lead by example in the bag skate.

What do you boys think?
Tough one. The rest of the team abandoned those three on many nights as well.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Klefbom was healthy he'd be spending less time in practice as well. Klef and previously mentioned 3 players are playing like team players and they're generally playing great most of the time. We are losing because most of our players either aren't good enough or they aren't doing what they're capable of at a consistent enough basis.

You can make a case that Jones has looked great and that Kassian has played much better since Hitch has come in, but you can't let them off. They need to put in more work to develop (Jones) and get more acquainted with their new role. (Kassian).

Reactions: Aerrol

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
This team has lacked a true veteran leader for much too long, Lucic was suppose to be that guy, but didn't go quite as planned...

I miss players that were willing to sacrifice their bodies for the win.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This team has lacked a true veteran leader for much too long, Lucic was suppose to be that guy, but didn't go quite as planned...

I miss players that were willing to sacrifice their bodies for the win.

We had a few of those guys in Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.
We didn't draft Jason, but we got him pretty young and we drafted Ryan.
Point is that players that die on their shied for the team are usually players that are playing for their first pro team.
A case could be made that Caggulia was giving it a try. He just didn't have the skill or consistency to do it in a top 6 role and look like a leader.
But then again you're talking about vets.
We don't have a whole lot of those at all.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
If you watch the off-day/pre-game scrums, Hitchcock has stated repeatedly since joining the team that because Nuge, McDavid & Draisaitl log such heavy minutes (20:00+), all three have their ice time limited in practice and are held out of optional skates to keep their energy levels high throughout the season. The only other forwards with an ATOI above 13:00 are Chiasson (15:48), Yamamoto (14:17), Lucic (13:40) & Rieder (13:33).

Reactions: Cypress and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If you watch the off-day/pre-game scrums, Hitchcock has stated repeatedly since joining the team that because Nuge, McDavid & Draisaitl log such heavy minutes (20:00+), all three have their ice time limited in practice and are held out of optional skates to keep their energy levels high throughout the season. The only other forwards with an ATOI above 13:00 are Chiasson (15:48), Yamamoto (14:17), Lucic (13:40) & Rieder (13:33).

Jesus. Is this including power play time? That's insane if so.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Pretty sure they weren’t out there doing the horseshoe drill boys.

With that said we won tonight so I have to admit Hitch and Connor had the right approach in practice this is why despite spending decades in and around the game I am at home watching the game in HD on my 50 inch plasma and not behind the bench (thank goodness).

How would you know what they are doing for practices? Unless you were there watching the whole thing, I wouldn't assume anything at all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not sure how or why you seem to think I disagree.

Finding new nags ain't the job of the coaches, though.

Never said it was. But you seem to think the coach can squeeze more out of them. And I will give the coach credit for trying. But I don't think there is anything left to give. A big chunk of them need to be changed out for ones that produce even a little bit. Good luck with that, with our present GM and band of mental midgets.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Jesus. Is this including power play time? That's insane if so.
All 3 disciplines combined.

McDavid - 22:45
Draisaitl - 21:49
Nuge - 20:20
Chiasson - 15:48
Strome (traded) - 14:25
Yamamoto - 14:17
Caggiula (traded) - 14:03
Lucic - 13:40
Rieder - 13:33
Kassian - 12:52
Brodziak - 12:39
Puljujarvi - 12:10
Rattie - 12:09
Khaira - 11:51
Spooner - 10:00
P Russell - 8:47
Zykov (waivers) - 7:08
Marody - 6:55
Gambardella - 6:32

By comparison, Tampa has 9 forwards with an ATOI over 14:30. Oilers have 15 forwards with an ATOI under 14:30, compared to just 6 for Tampa.

Reactions: Aerrol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
All 3 disciplines combined.

McDavid - 22:45
Draisaitl - 21:49
Nuge - 20:20
Chiasson - 15:48
Strome (traded) - 14:25
Yamamoto - 14:17
Caggiula (traded) - 14:03
Lucic - 13:40
Rieder - 13:33
Kassian - 12:52
Brodziak - 12:39
Puljujarvi - 12:10
Rattie - 12:09
Khaira - 11:51
Spooner - 10:00
P Russell - 8:47
Zykov (waivers) - 7:08
Marody - 6:55
Gambardella - 6:32

By comparison, Tampa has 9 forwards with an ATOI over 14:30. Oilers have 15 forwards with an ATOI under 14:30, compared to just 6 for Tampa.

No better illustration of how ratf**ked this team's depth is IMO. They're basically a first line, a third line and two fourth lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad