Oilers Leadership

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I don't get suggesting they refuse to leave early. That would be insubordination and a huge blow to the team. This is simply hitch sending a message to the rest of the team while simultaneously resting his star players.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

@DingerMcSlapshot Awesome post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

giphy.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Is that it? Where is the story? Where is the part about bag skating / punishment?

This could be a regular thing for all I know.

I couldn't find anything other than the tweet from Rishaug someone else originally posted yesterday as well.

The media swung and missed on creating a McDavid-Manning controversy so they're looking elsewhere now is my guess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I couldn't find anything other than the tweet from Rishaug someone else originally posted yesterday as well.

The media swung and missed on creating a McDavid-Manning controversy so they're looking elsewhere now is my guess.
Listen to struds and rishaug from around 220 today. Rishaug explained it all.

Even before then struds said no player would complain as those three were producing.

Really was just the three got sent off early and rishaug mentioned it. Seemed like they got sent off at the end of practice with a couple drills left

Reactions: McFuhryous

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Boys with the recent information of Hitchcock letting McDavid, Drai and Nuge off practice early while the rest of the team got bag skates I really got to question the leadership of this move.

First off Hitchcock should not be pinning his top players against the rest of the team like this, what does it accomplish? Outside a few it looks like they are all trying hard, why punish them because they aren’t as skilled? They won’t magically acquire McDavid skill by trying harder in practice.

Second, why didn’t McDavid and the boys refuse to leave their guys behind? Was this a test to see what Connor would do? I think they should have said no we’re not going and lead by example in the bag skate.

What do you boys think?

They have been worked into the ground in games, over 24 mins, McDavid with 28 mins in a handful of games, and how do you think bag skating these guys would be anyway beneficial.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Oh, I didn't know it was getting media attention, since I'm in the states. OP makes more sense now.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
After a PTO waiver wire fodder tier healthy scratch (Chiasson), our next highest scoring winger is Puljujarvi with 3 goals.

Our top 3 forwards (McDavid, Drai, Nuge) have 56 goals.

Our bottom 9 forwards AND all of our defencemen have 46 goals. Chiasson has like half of those, lol.

I'm going to puke.

Top 3 in Tampa have 64 goals.

Rest of their team has 101.

We have the most pathetic bottom 6 in the league and it's not even close. How can anyone be criticizing the top 3 for not going to get some rest in preparation for another night of carrying these plugs?

Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Listen to struds and rishaug from around 220 today. Rishaug explained it all.

Even before then struds said no player would complain as those three were producing.

Really was just the three got sent off early and rishaug mentioned it. Seemed like they got sent off at the end of practice with a couple drills left

I can respect Strudwick's explanation as he's a former pro and I personally didn't think much of it myself too.

I'm not crapping on Rishaug because I like him as a reporter but it seemed like a fishing expedition to tweet that out.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wasn’t trying to call you out. You’re posted tweet was the only thing in this thread referencing this story.

I didn't think you were at all-lol. The OP indicated there was one so I thought he knew or at least presumed their was one. As far as the tweet, that is the only one from anyone in the MSM that posted about it.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Pretty sure they weren’t out there doing the horseshoe drill boys.

With that said we won tonight so I have to admit Hitch and Connor had the right approach in practice this is why despite spending decades in and around the game I am at home watching the game in HD on my 50 inch plasma and not behind the bench (thank goodness).

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Hitch just relaying in his way what Chia spoke about in his presser, rest of the team needs to step up. Saved the three amigos from some awkwardness by not having them there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can respect Strudwick's explanation as he's a former pro and I personally didn't think much of it myself too.

I'm not crapping on Rishaug because I like him as a reporter but it seemed like a fishing expedition to tweet that out.
So the reality was it was the end of the practice with one or two drills left. Hitch told the three to leave. RNH left, LD and Mcdavid stood by the door wondering what to do. Hitch then ran the drill that had a bit of pace and some contact. By no means was it a bag drill

The problem however was the tweet was sent out and people took it the wrong way and rightfully so, as no one really knew what the tweet meant. In Rishaug's defense however and he clearly mentioned it on the air was that he made note of something that he hasn't saw before. Doesn't sound like he had intent to start a shit storm

Going back to Struds as I was on my phone. Struds said this happened all the time in his career. Messier and Jagr missed practices all the time, even though Jagr loved practices. He did say the one time he was pissed was in Chicago. Brian Sutter had split the team up giving all the skilled guys time off while he bagged skated the plugs. Sutter then went on to say that he wants more out of the plugs. Struds was mad as the skilled players weren't producing and that he didn't think they were the only ones that should've bag skated. How Struds talked though key players were allowed to miss things quite a bit in his days and out of all the times only once was he mad at the coach.

Did get a chuckle when someone texted in saying Brian was their neighbor and asked if he should go kick his ass for Struds.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
Boys with the recent information of Hitchcock letting McDavid, Drai and Nuge off practice early while the rest of the team got bag skates I really got to question the leadership of this move.

First off Hitchcock should not be pinning his top players against the rest of the team like this, what does it accomplish? Outside a few it looks like they are all trying hard, why punish them because they aren’t as skilled? They won’t magically acquire McDavid skill by trying harder in practice.

Second, why didn’t McDavid and the boys refuse to leave their guys behind? Was this a test to see what Connor would do? I think they should have said no we’re not going and lead by example in the bag skate.

What do you boys think?

Seriously? More than just dudes are hockey fans and participate in this forum.... welcome to the 21st century...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The top 4 goal scorers on this club now have a combined 78goals. The entire rest of the lineup has 28 goals.

I wonder which players should be getting a tongue lashing and extra work.

Now in fairness we traded away Caggiulia who had added 7goals to this total but Chiarelli should be bagskated for that. Even with Caggs goals this is hopeless depth scoring on this club. Abysmal.

Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So the reality was it was the end of the practice with one or two drills left. Hitch told the three to leave. RNH left, LD and Mcdavid stood by the door wondering what to do. Hitch then ran the drill that had a bit of pace and some contact. By no means was it a bag drill

The problem however was the tweet was sent out and people took it the wrong way and rightfully so, as no one really knew what the tweet meant. In Rishaug's defense however and he clearly mentioned it on the air was that he made note of something that he hasn't saw before. Doesn't sound like he had intent to start a **** storm

Going back to Struds as I was on my phone. Struds said this happened all the time in his career. Messier and Jagr missed practices all the time, even though Jagr loved practices. He did say the one time he was pissed was in Chicago. Brian Sutter had split the team up giving all the skilled guys time off while he bagged skated the plugs. Sutter then went on to say that he wants more out of the plugs. Struds was mad as the skilled players weren't producing and that he didn't think they were the only ones that should've bag skated. How Struds talked though key players were allowed to miss things quite a bit in his days and out of all the times only once was he mad at the coach.

Did get a chuckle when someone texted in saying Brian was their neighbor and asked if he should go kick his ass for Struds.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, that clears a lot of the controversy up and should clear it up for the rest of the board too I hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad