Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Kings - Oct 14 - 8:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
MacT made some decent moves to upgrade the depth of the roster on the wing and defense but then they proceed to underutilize their resources and totally waste the preseason. Plus the fact that they went into the season banking on a career AHLer (although he has played decently) and a rookie as their middle centers.

Even when they seem to get it somewhat right, they still wind up wronging the right.

Yup. I don't know if it's MacT or Eakins making these calls, but the former wears the consequences for hiring the latter.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I know, nobody's going anywhere. The Oilers will win a few games (eventually) and everyone will pat each other on the back for a job well done.

Even the tightfisted EIG weren't this bad.

That's the funny thing. They win a couple of games, and instantly think they have done a good job on managing this team. Clueless. Just clueless.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wont happen, if Lowe offered to step down and Katz refused it, there's no chance any of the old boys will be purged. Hell even ****ing Chabot is still here, and I haven't seen one single goalie develop under him. God, the management just makes oiler fans pay their loyalty for their crap of managing an NHL team filled of no accountability along with old boys either getting "promoted" to a different position, or having their job secured.
Lowe didn't offer to step down. He offered to take a sabbatical. There's a huge difference. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to go away for a while and come back when the heat had died down. Much like Mactavish himself had done. In other words he wanted to come back after Mactavish had cleaned up the mess. My guess is that is what Katz said no to.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Lowe didn't offer to step down. He offered to take a sabbatical. There's a huge difference. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to go away for a while and come back when the heat had died down. In other words he wanted to come back after Mactavish had cleaned up the mess. My guess is that is what Katz said no to.

I had heard differently.

There had been a claim to the media that Lowe had, himself, offered to step down in the midst of the "Fire Lowe" movement and Katz wouldn't let him, persuading him to take a sabbatical instead.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lowe didn't offer to step down. He offered to take a sabbatical. There's a huge difference. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to go away for a while and come back when the heat had died down. Much like Mactavish himself had done. In other words he wanted to come back after Mactavish had cleaned up the mess. My guess is that is what Katz said no to.

Ah, my bad on that part. But anyways, as I was basically saying.. jobs are safe when you're apart of the old boys club.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ah, my bad on that part. But anyways, as I was basically saying.. jobs are safe when you're apart of the old boys club.
I just took issue with the way you were wording it. You made it sound like Lowe was offering to fall on his own sword when I don't think that's even remotely close to being the truth. I see now that you didn't mean that at all.

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC
For some reason, this Petry decision put me into a good mood because at least now I don't have any more expectations for this season but continued failure.

I wonder if a Hall trade demand would snap Katz out of it and make a shakeup actually go down.

The only thing that would wake up Katz is declining attendance. The Oilers could trade Hall to Calgary for Smid and Rexall would still be sold out the next game. Face it fans, Katz doesn't care about anything other than money.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The only thing that would wake up Katz is declining attendance. The Oilers could trade Hall to Calgary for Smid and Rexall would still be sold out the next game. Face it fans, Katz doesn't care about anything other than money.

I get the sentiment, but making the playoffs makes the team a whole lot more money. This team is incompetent, but I don't think it goes farther than that.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It sounds like he's still hurt. So technically that would make him an unhealthy scratch.
Rishaug tweeted that his scratch is completely healthy not at all injury related

I know he can make some
Boneheaded moves but he's the only Dman we have that's capable of full time top 4 minutes.

How the **** is he a scratch in favor of the plugs we're dressing?

This team management is atrocious. If petry gets traded this season I'll be speechless. We finally have a little defensive depth, and mact decides that the two guys deemed unworthy for the nhl, are ready to take our top dmans spot, and support those two with a handful of 5/6/7 dmen.

Fan ****ing tastic

Eirhead*

Frigggg... what a depressing thread.

I thought they played alright over the first 2 games. If we can sustain the kind of effort we've shown so far, the wins will start coming. A bit unlucky. Excited to see Nurse tonight - the rest of our defence is a bunch of wimps when it comes to defending the goalie. Nurse is the only man of the group. He should have been a starter since game 1.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I just took issue with the way you were wording it. You made it sound like Lowe was offering to fall on his own sword when I don't think that's even remotely close to being the truth. I see now that you didn't mean that at all.

Fair enough. :)

I understand that jobs are safe, but why are these guys intentionally ****** at their jobs?

But they won cups... 6 rings knows something about winning!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I thought they played alright over the first 2 games. If we can sustain the kind of effort we've shown so far, the wins will start coming. A bit unlucky. Excited to see Nurse tonight - the rest of our defence is a bunch of wimps when it comes to defending the goalie. Nurse is the only man of the group. He should have been a starter since game 1.

They have noticeably improved overall but not enough to even beat 2. of the worst teams in the west. A lot of reasons to be unhappy.

Very questionable roster decisions to start the year.

Marincin, klefbom, hunt, Petry, yakimov, yakipov, Acton... Some serious shenanigans to start the year.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007

Haha. Good one.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
Scratching Petry might be the most indefensible thing the Oilers have done in years. What an accomplishment :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad