Speculation: Oilers interested in Eller and Desharnais

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm worried about the loser mentality that's been ingrained into Hall since he's stepped in the NHL. He's always been surrounded by a culture of total failure... He's been indirectly called out in the media by two of the vets this season regarding entitlement. He's not perceived as the best of teammates. Oilers fans say he has all the physical skills in the world but his hockey IQ is mediocre...

This season NHL GMs were asked by Mckenzie/TSN to redo the 2010 draft...

1-Johanssen, 2-Seguin, 3-Tarasenko, and very far behind those three, 4-Hall. To me this speaks volume.
Sakic, Lemieux, Crosby, Yzerman... all were on loser teams.

I'm not worried in the slightest. If this guy really is up for grabs I really hope MB is in on the bidding. Pipe dream but...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What I meant is that none of the players were of the calibre of Galchenyuk, Subban or even Pacioretty like some people here are mentioning would absolutely have to be going the other way for Hall. Boston got decent players but theygot absolutely fleeced in the trade, so yes for a franchise player like Seguin let's just say that I'm absolutely fine with the trade as a habs fan.

I think your reasoning is flawed. Seguin's career high as a Bruins was 67 points an he took a step backwards in the shortened season.

Hardly comparable to Hall, which is an established star at this point. Dallas payed for a young player full of potential that came with question marks. If we trade for Hall, we'd be paying for a superstar.

Imagining trading for Seguin right now. That's more of a guideline than what Seguin was traded for 2 years ago.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Someone needs to explain to me why we would give up this hard earned depth we've be lacking for the past 25 years for a top flight center like Hall when we've be patiently grooming a #1 center named Galchenyuk.
Our real need is a number 2-3 defenseman with Markov retiring in a few years and our 3-4 Dmen aren't up to snuff. While we have some decent prospects in the minors but a stud defense to suppliment Subban is our real need especially after the aging vets are not re-signed next year.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Someone needs to explain to me why we would give up this hard earned depth we've be lacking for the past 25 years for a top flight center like Hall when we've be patiently grooming a #1 center named Galchenyuk.
Our real need is a number 2-3 defenseman with Markov retiring in a few years and our 3-4 Dmen aren't up to snuff. While we have some decent prospects in the minors but a stud defense to suppliment Subban is our real need especially after the aging vets are not re-signed next year.

Hall plays LW

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hate to say it but you're probably right. We'd probably have to gut the team to get him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hate to say it but you're probably right. We'd probably have to gut the team to get him.

Yup, Hall is not a fit for us for that very reason. MacT is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but that doesn't mean he's going to give Hall away. Nor that EDM would allow MacT to trade him -- they may just wait until the next GM is named.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not a significant return? Four regulars, three under the age of 25. Smith is a top six forward, Eriksson is a borderline top 6, Morrow is a former first-round pick who projects to be a top four dman in a couple of years, and has already played 15 games this season. Let's give this trade some time and see where Smith and Morrow end up in their development before saying the Bruins got nothing of significance in return. Smith is a damn good young player IMO...and if the Habs had held more top 90 picks in his draft year he'd have been a Hab..same goes for Cody Eakin.

None of those players will ever be Seguin though... so the Stars will win the trade as long as Seguin doesn't split when his contract is up and the Bruins don't win a couple of Cups.

Eriksson been disappointment in Boston, barely worth his salary. Dallas got a stud in Seguin for future #4 d-man and 2nd line winger is a steal anyway look at it.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Someone needs to explain to me why we would give up this hard earned depth we've be lacking for the past 25 years ...

Well....it's because.....you need to understand...that....

....I can't. There is nothing to explain - having DD as depth is a luxury well worth $3.5M.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Eller has disappointed me with his lack of development in his offensive game. He may very well be the odd man out eventually. Don't get me wrong I like him but at this point I am expecting much more from him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well....it's because.....you need to understand...that....

....I can't. There is nothing to explain - having DD as depth is a luxury well worth $3.5M.

If DD is not thrust into the #1 center spot I have no issues with him. He is playing much better since being split up from Max.
One thing is becoming clear, Galchenyuk is now a center and we have too many of them now.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Eller has disappointed me with his lack of development in his offensive game. He may very well be the odd man out eventually. Don't get me wrong I like him but at this point I am expecting much more from him.
Eller doesn't need vision (he's not as bad as some say in that department), as he's got too fairly good ones on his line now. Eller needs to retrieve pucks and be in position to shoot - Parenteau and Desharnais will get him the puck.

I think the odd man out may be Plekanec. I hope we resign him, but since his contract expires first... I think he could eventually be the one that's gone. I hope he's a Hab through and through and will take a discount, but I could see him trying to get closer to $7M on the open market ala a Chris Drury who really isn't all that different of a player (little better goal scorer, a little worse defensively).

I'm 110% a fan of keeping all four centres for now though. We have a bunch of guys 2-3 years away (if ever) and then nothing. At wing, we already have Andrighetto and Hudon looking really good. They're also available today.

I don't think we should consider moving any centre UNLESS it's a trade we win and it makes the team 100% better.

I think the DD-Eller-PAP line, outside of a few defensive zone mishaps, looked really good. If MT would just leave Andrighetto on the 2nd line, we'd have one of the deepest Top-9s in the league, along with a 4th line that can play a regular shift (Prust-Malhotra-Weise).

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't think we have the assets to get Hall.

If I was Edmonton I would be looking for a current top pairing defencemen + 2nd line centre + top prospect/1st rKundera.

The only top pairing guy I could see Edmonton wanting is Subban and we just aren't parting with him. Obviously if it was Subban it would be closer to a swap. But I'm not going for that at this time.

If we are offering Eller or DD, I can see them packaged with Beaulieu or Tinordi for Yak or Eberle.

I used to love to offer Edmonton fans Eller + Beaulieu + 1st for yak. Quite simply given Yaks play that is an overpayment. His value is only doping. With that said, I think given the right circumstances Yak could begin to realize his potential.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If DD is not thrust into the #1 center spot I have no issues with him. He is playing much better since being split up from Max.
One thing is becoming clear, Galchenyuk is now a center and we have too many of them now.
How do we have too many? If DD can adapt and play wing good enough, it's a luxury.

We saw Michael Bournival playing with Galchenyuk went Max went down. What happens if we move one DD/Eller for a winger (who can't play C).. and then Galchenyuk or Plekanec get hurt (knock on wood).

We have Malhotra playing 3rd line center... or worse, Brandon Prust.

We have nothing in the AHL to jump in and help either. DLR needs a lot more time to develop.

Having 4 centres is huge, as long as one of them can play wing effectively (not Galchenyuk).

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'm worried about the loser mentality that's been ingrained into Hall since he's stepped in the NHL. He's always been surrounded by a culture of total failure... He's been indirectly called out in the media by two of the vets this season regarding entitlement. He's not perceived as the best of teammates. Oilers fans say he has all the physical skills in the world but his hockey IQ is mediocre...

1-Johanssen, 2-Seguin, 3-Tarasenko, and very far behind those three, 4-Hall. To me this speaks volume.

If you were to redo that right now, a mere six months later..would Johannsen still be considered number one? He'd be third or perhaps even fourth behind Hall..a little early to be putting too much stock in these rankings..wait until their careers are over before offering a fair retrospective.

How does "it speak volumes" that a first overall pick from his draft year is now very arguably considered the fourth best player from his class? It's not like Hall was a consensus top pick considered to be light years ahead of his peers in the first place. There were some issues with his mental game when he was drafted, and that hasn;t changed..there have been no big surprises or disappointments in his career so far.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Boston won the cup with 5 (something like that) top nine centers. Having 4 top nine centers is not a bad thing....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would maybe trade Pacioretty straight up for Hall...maybe.
Galchenyuk? Not a chance in hell. Subban? Not a chance in hell.
Hall is a great player no doubt but those clamoring for a couple of these players for Hall have lost their minds! He may be better than each (I don't think he is as good as Subban) but no way he is better than two...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If you were to redo that right now, a mere six months later..would Johannsen still be considered number one? He'd be third or perhaps even fourth behind Hall..a little early to be putting too much stock in these rankings..wait until their careers are over before offering a fair retrospective.

How does "it speak volumes" that a first overall pick from his draft year is now very arguably considered the fourth best player from his class? It's not like Hall was a consensus top pick considered to be light years ahead of his peers in the first place. There were some issues with his mental game when he was drafted, and that hasn;t changed..there have been no big surprises or disappointments in his career so far.

Strong draft that year. Tarasenko would have to be in the top 2 but Seguin is the clear cut #1 IMO

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

You could hear it in his voice during some interviews recently that it sounds totally defeated. While the Oilers might need Taylor Hall I wonder if the losing keeps up will Hall ask for a trade? He's a competitor and it sounds like the losing has really taken a toll on him.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
The best that Edmonton could do for their future is a Lindros like trade, where they get supporting players and prospects, and look towards 2016. They need a team ... they don't need to trade a star for a star.

If I were them, and really wanted to shake things up, I would look to get immediate depth and draft picks by trading a couple of studs.

I would also look long and hard at my ameteur scouts, and try to get someone like Timmins, who can actually assess talent.

Edmonton has too many stars, and not enough Gallaghers and Beaulieu. They need the players that are traditionally picked in the late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round. The kind of players than will be there for 5-8 years at a good contract. They need 2nd and 3rd liners that will be with them for a while, and take pressure of the first line. And they need good depth D on the cheap. Also, through free agency, they need to get some veteran leadership.

RNH is staying, as is Hall, and Dresldi (SP?). Probably Schwartz, too. So, they can move Eberle and Yakupov, and get a bunch of assets for the next few years, so they can field a team that can actually compete. I don't know if the Habs are a good dance partner, but that is what they need.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
How do we have too many? If DD can adapt and play wing good enough, it's a luxury.

We saw Michael Bournival playing with Galchenyuk went Max went down. What happens if we move one DD/Eller for a winger (who can't play C).. and then Galchenyuk or Plekanec get hurt (knock on wood).

We have Malhotra playing 3rd line center... or worse, Brandon Prust.

We have nothing in the AHL to jump in and help either. DLR needs a lot more time to develop.

Having 4 centres is huge, as long as one of them can play wing effectively (not Galchenyuk).

I think that for once we are on the same page. I have no more issue with keeping DD if he's playing LW on the 3rd line. He's a solid insurance policy if a C goes down. He's also at the average price point for a 3rd line winger.

I'm still shocked with Therrien's complete philosophical turn around. It's as if he's been reborn lol. Who would've thought he'd actually drop DD to the 3rd line winger position... He's never been one to act logically, but lately he's been making all the right moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad