Speculation: Oilers interested in Eller and Desharnais

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
With all the rumors around Hall being a headcase/uncoachable player, why would we want to trade our captain to become for him?

Regardless of talent, we KNOW Pacioretty is a good fit here. We're not in a position to trade a bunch of our depth and assets for a marginal upgrade on the wings. Our current core is good enough to take us to the cup. What we need is flesh around the bone, if you will. Anyone suggesting trading any of Price/Subban/Pacioretty/Galchenyuk is out of his mind as far as I'm concerned.

Hall isn't half the two-way player Pac is either.

So if Eller points out the obvious about the Oiler's he's considered an refreshingly honest voice but if Hall says something he's a headcase.

Pacioretty almost only plays with DD (who isn't a fit) so how would we know whether he's a fit or not?

I like Hall, warts and all, he plays like he cares when a lot of players pack it in when all hope is lost. I've seen so many players mail it in over the years and it must be hard to be in a futile situation that he has been in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Hall speaks his mind about his own team, that's a refreshingly strong bat-signal begging for a trade.

If Eller speaks his mind about the Oilers, how does it matter -- he's not playing for them. Not the best thing for an opposition player to do, but hey, what's done is done.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So if Eller points out the obvious about the Oiler's he's considered an refreshingly honest voice but if Hall says something he's a headcase.

Pacioretty almost only plays with DD (who isn't a fit) so how would we know whether he's a fit or not?

I like Hall, warts and all, he plays like he cares when a lot of players pack it in when all hope is lost. I've seen so many players mail it in over the years and it must be hard to be in a futile situation that he has been in.

I would love Hall but Patches is becoming somewhat of an untouchable.
He's becoming a driving force up front and gaining leadership responsibilities. I rather wait to see how Galch-Patches can develop as a duo, something I've been looking forward to for quite some time now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would love Hall but Patches is becoming somewhat of an untouchable.
He's becoming a driving force up front and gaining leadership responsibilities. I rather wait to see how Galch-Patches can develop as a duo, something I've been looking forward to for quite some time now.

Yeah, don't see the point either, of paying what EDM would want for Hall. Let some other team gut their roster. Of course, some teams do have greater elite depth than we do, so it makes it that much easier for them to sacrifice several players to get a deal done. We don't have enough in the way of elite players to entertain moving them. Much better for the team to focus on undervalued players, who won't cost so much.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
With all the rumors around Hall being a headcase/uncoachable player, why would we want to trade our captain to become for him?

Regardless of talent, we KNOW Pacioretty is a good fit here. We're not in a position to trade a bunch of our depth and assets for a marginal upgrade on the wings. Our current core is good enough to take us to the cup. What we need is flesh around the bone, if you will. Anyone suggesting trading any of Price/Subban/Pacioretty/Galchenyuk is out of his mind as far as I'm concerned.

Hall isn't half the two-way player Pac is either.

Max Pax is a 39 GS... just think about it, do people really think that Hall could top that on a regular basis? And as you said, Hall is a wreck in his own zone whereas Pax is great both ways and a key member of our PK. He's on a great contract and is becoming more and more a part of the leadership group of this team. The "team" we're building is definitely going in the right direction.

And to all the people thinking that any of our 4-5 most valuable piece would absolutely have to go the other way in a trade, just remember what Seguin netted the Bruins - it wasn't very significant. It all depends on how badly Hall wants out and how desperate Oiler management gets. It's likely that if Hall gets traded lots of people will be dumbfounded at the perceived poor return he will net - but that's also the reason why he probably will remain an Oiler.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Max Pax is a 39 GS... just think about it, do people really think that Hall could top that on a regular basis? And as you said, Hall is a wreck in his own zone whereas Pax is great both ways and a key member of our PK. He's on a great contract and is becoming more and more a part of the leadership group of this team. The "team" we're building is definitely going in the right direction.

And Pacioretty is this team's 2nd highest hits dispenser, after Emelin: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2014/

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not denying Hall would be an upgrade on Patch. But it would be a marginal one. And Patch is part of our core, and has been a part of it for a while. This isn't a video game. Chemistry matters when it comes to a team. You can't just swap piece A for piece B for the sole purpose of, perhaps, generating 5 more goals per year.

I'm not the one starting these rumors regarding Hall. Most of them come from Oilers fans themselves. I'm just speculating here, and my point stands; WHY trade away a leader in the locker-room that proved he could perform in Montréal on a great contract for someone that comes with question marks and hasn't proved anything in Montréal?

Again, yes, Hall would be an upgrade. But trading someone like Pacioretty, along with several other valuable pieces, isn't a move I judge to be enticing at this point in time.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I'm worried about the loser mentality that's been ingrained into Hall since he's stepped in the NHL. He's always been surrounded by a culture of total failure... He's been indirectly called out in the media by two of the vets this season regarding entitlement. He's not perceived as the best of teammates. Oilers fans say he has all the physical skills in the world but his hockey IQ is mediocre...

This season NHL GMs were asked by Mckenzie/TSN to redo the 2010 draft...

1-Johanssen, 2-Seguin, 3-Tarasenko, and very far behind those three, 4-Hall. To me this speaks volume.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Taylor Hall isn't worth a top six forward, two former 1st round pick prospects and a 1st round pick on top of that. As if :loony:

:rolleyes:

You aren't going to land Hall, with Gallagher, who is a fringe top 6 forward, a couple of prospects that may or may not become NHL regulars, and a first round pick that will most likely be in the 20-30 range. I fail to see how it matters that Tinordi and McCarron are former first rounders.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Honestly it might be best to stay away from Edmonton players that have been there for any extended period of time. That franchise is tainted with failure and the players have been molded by it, like Bane was molded by the darkness.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009

You aren't going to land Hall, with Gallagher, who is a fringe top 6 forward, a couple of prospects that may or may not become NHL regulars, and a first round pick that will most likely be in the 20-30 range. I fail to see how it matters that Tinordi and McCarron are former first rounders.

Correct, same old same old on here, trade our garbage for another team's best players.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Which teams wouldn't have Gallagher as a top 6 winger?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The only way we get Hall without giving up one of Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty is if they see Eller as a 2-way top-6 center who simply hasn't been given a chance. If, and yes it's a big if they think he's simply being Therriened and can actually put up 50-60pts as a 2nd line 2-way center then something could be done because that's exactly what they need up front. They also need defence, goaltending, and a coach but that's another story.

It's never going to happen but my proposal would be
Eller, Gallagher, Beaulieu, 1st
for
Hall and an NHL forward not named Pouliot

HABSINCE76

May 31, 2009
When it comes to trading partners Montreal and Boston are edmontons best bet.The two best goaltending prospects out there are Fucale and Subban so the bases of a trade would start with one of these kids.So lets say its Montreal....Edmonton also needs a young puck moving defenceman....they may want a choice so Bergevin says your choice Tinordi or Beauleau...If Edmonton is gonna trade Eberle or Hall they will want a significant pick and a roster player as well so we offer them our 1rst round pick.You all have to remember that McDavid or that awesome defenceman at #2 will be an Edmonton Oiler at the draft.

Fucale Beauleau a 1st and a roster player...

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
When it comes to trading partners Montreal and Boston are edmontons best bet.The two best goaltending prospects out there are Fucale and Subban so the bases of a trade would start with one of these kids.So lets say its Montreal....Edmonton also needs a young puck moving defenceman....they may want a choice so Bergevin says your choice Tinordi or Beauleau...If Edmonton is gonna trade Eberle or Hall they will want a significant pick and a roster player as well so we offer them our 1rst round pick.You all have to remember that McDavid or that awesome defenceman at #2 will be an Edmonton Oiler at the draft.

Fucale Beauleau a 1st and a roster player...

That's getting a little pricey, considering the two of Hall or Eberle are getting over 6 mill a year. The habs would have to send some cap back to Edm.

Fucale + Beaulieu+Plek could prob work and get us under the cap.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Having been critical about Patch's overall play, still I love the player and it's more about wanting more. At time, to me, he seems lazy but in reality, he's not a lazy player. Is he Captain material? I don't think so but further in his career, I could see it.

Now for Hall, he's still a great talent. Today, I keep Patches over Hall and it has to do more with the team overall picture.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

And to all the people thinking that any of our 4-5 most valuable piece would absolutely have to go the other way in a trade, just remember what Seguin netted the Bruins - it wasn't very significant. It all depends on how badly Hall wants out and how desperate Oiler management gets. It's likely that if Hall gets traded lots of people will be dumbfounded at the perceived poor return he will net - but that's also the reason why he probably will remain an Oiler.

Not a significant return? Four regulars, three under the age of 25. Smith is a top six forward, Eriksson is a borderline top 6, Morrow is a former first-round pick who projects to be a top four dman in a couple of years, and has already played 15 games this season. Let's give this trade some time and see where Smith and Morrow end up in their development before saying the Bruins got nothing of significance in return. Smith is a damn good young player IMO...and if the Habs had held more top 90 picks in his draft year he'd have been a Hab..same goes for Cody Eakin.

None of those players will ever be Seguin though... so the Stars will win the trade as long as Seguin doesn't split when his contract is up and the Bruins don't win a couple of Cups.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
That's getting a little pricey, considering the two of Hall or Eberle are getting over 6 mill a year. The habs would have to send some cap back to Edm.

Fucale + Beaulieu+Plek could prob work and get us under the cap.

WOW, that's big. I'm not sure what would the perfect package from MTL for Hall but this isn't it. I don't like this.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Having been critical about Patch's overall play, still I love the player and it's more about wanting more. At time, to me, he seems lazy but in reality, he's not a lazy player. Is he Captain material? I don't think so but further in his career, I could see it.

Now for Hall, he's still a great talent. Today, I keep Patches over Hall and it has to do more with the team overall picture.

I would take Hall over patches easy, Hall will never be a perimeter player like patches which is what frustrates me about patches. The only reason id keep Patches over Hall is the cap hit. Hall is a really good player who would be even better on a team that can actually set him up for goals.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Not a significant return? Four regulars, three under the age of 25. Smith is a top six forward, Eriksson is a borderline top 6, Morrow is a former first-round pick who projects to be a top four dman in a couple of years, and has already played 15 games this season. Let's give this trade some time and see where Smith and Morrow end up in their development before saying the Bruins got nothing of significance in return. Smith is a damn good young player IMO...and if the Habs had held more top 90 picks in his draft year he'd have been a Hab..same goes for Cody Eakin.

None of those players will ever be Seguin though... so the Stars will win the trade as long as Seguin doesn't split when his contract is up and the Bruins don't win a couple of Cups.

Ok let's build around that. Also Smith was a 3rd round pick that was not well known, potential still and I think he's still growing.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I would take Hall over patches easy, Hall will never be a perimeter player like patches which is what frustrates me about patches. The only reason id keep Patches over Hall is the cap hit. Hall is a really good player who would be even better on a team that can actually set him up for goals.

There is much to consider about moving Patch, cap hit being one of them. Point out that MTL has endorse in Patch for leadership and the place he takes in the room. He knows MTL's pressure cooker and has grown in it. To me, it has value.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm worried about the loser mentality that's been ingrained into Hall since he's stepped in the NHL. He's always been surrounded by a culture of total failure... He's been indirectly called out in the media by two of the vets this season regarding entitlement. He's not perceived as the best of teammates. Oilers fans say he has all the physical skills in the world but his hockey IQ is mediocre...

This season NHL GMs were asked by Mckenzie/TSN to redo the 2010 draft...

1-Johanssen, 2-Seguin, 3-Tarasenko, and very far behind those three, 4-Hall. To me this speaks volume.

I don't think any of the top players in Edmonton have this loser mentality. You can't have such a mind and still put up the numbers Hall has. I mean at some point, like 5 years later, when you see that nothing is changing and there's zero direction anywhere in this franchise, you can't really blame any player for taking his foot off the pedal perhaps subconsciously.
I think any of those guys would have some good success on better franchises. I mean, switch Hall with Patches over the past 5 years. You think Max becomes the same player he is today? I doubt it.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
id give up Eller, Beaulieu, Andrighetto and a 1st for Hall + Petry.. but I doubt Oilers will do it !

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik

What I meant is that none of the players were of the calibre of Galchenyuk, Subban or even Pacioretty like some people here are mentioning would absolutely have to be going the other way for Hall. Boston got decent players but theygot absolutely fleeced in the trade, so yes for a franchise player like Seguin let's just say that I'm absolutely fine with the trade as a habs fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad