Friedman: Oilers Interested in Athanasiou to play with McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
You really want to go there? So if that’s the case Bob McKenzie, probably the most respected hockey insider/mind, had him rated at number 7 in his draft class just 6 months ago. Are you telling me a 19 year old defenseman has fallen that far in 6 months?

I wouldn’t believe everything you read

Oilers fan here.
I'm not impressed by what I see from Bouchard

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Oilers fan here.
I'm not impressed by what I see from Bouchard
One of the reasons det would ask for him. If he had increased his draft stock hed be untouchable. It's pretty simple 1st or Bouchard. No other deal works for detroit. Tbh holland might even ask for an add. Tho I personally think that's fair value.

As we have said you would be better signing nyquist. He is the perfect player for mcdavid. Can play top line, has speed can pass or snipe. You could put lucic next to those two and he score 35 goals or 40 goals just standing there. Lol.

Aa is a matchup exploiter not a top line driver. He wins the matchup on the second or third line with little support. Hes only your first line winger if he continues to grow... (he has some snipe skills and the full physical package. If hes on your top line you decided to go 100% run and gun... which ain't really hitchcock or effective long term imo.

In his defense he has done run and gun with larkin for 20 min a game in a top line role before. It was effective. But it required the whole team to play Aas way. Not sure why your acquire him to have Mcdavid adapt.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Detroit can ask for Bouchard until they’re blue in the face, he’s absolutely not a reasonable ask for AA. No way, no how.

I don’t necessarily buy that he’s such an irreplaceable piece that anyone would have to pay ‘pry him from our cold dead hands’ prices. He’s having a good year but it took him a long time to get there.

AA is significantly better but this whole discussion reminds me of talking with Canucks fans about Virtanen. Yes, he’s finally showing what you’d hoped from him but pacing for ~50 points in his 24 year old season... I dunno. I have a hard, hard time with some of the valuation happening in this thread. Asking for Draisaitl is completely laughable. Nuge only slightly less so. Bouchard is also a no. First rounder.... maybe.

At the same time I do understand why a rebuilding organization that will be shuffling off the likes of Nyquist, Howard, and possibly Kronwall wouldn’t be too keen in moving youngish productive players.

Detroit should be asking for a first rounder and depending on the conditions I might think about it. I’d want it top 12 or so protected. Bouchard’s a hard no from me.

Last edited:

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
If Detroit wants to move on from AA it's going to be a 4 quarters for a dollar type deal. Sorry, this is how the NHL works.

Bear + (2)3rd's + Spooner
That's his value as a rental. You want a player like that with team control for at least another contract... you pay more.

I dont think you should, but that's his realistic price. Like it or not you do not trade 24 year old scorer, with team control, who drive their line for scraps. See kapenan, tatar, lindholm, namestkov, drop in. It's not the NHL's fault you traded hall and eberle for pennies (sorry low blow).

If you are offering scraps you can have vanik.

Last edited:

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Detroit can ask for Bouchard until they’re blue in the face, he’s absolutely not a reasonable ask for AA. No way, no how.

I don’t necessarily buy that he’s such an irreplaceable piece that anyone would have to pay ‘pry him from our cold dead hands’ prices. He’s having a good year but it took him a long time to get there.

AA is significantly better but this whole discussion reminds me of talking with Canucks fans about Virtanen. Yes, he’s finally showing what you’d hoped from him but pacing for ~50 points in his 24 year old season... I dunno. I have a hard, hard time with some of the valuation happening in this thread. Asking for Draisaitl is completely laughable. Nuge only slightly less so. Bouchard is also a no. First rounder.... maybe.

At the same time I do understand why a rebuilding organization that will be shuffling off the likes of Nyquist, Howard, and possibly Kronwall wouldn’t be too keen in moving youngish productive players.

Detroit should be asking for a first rounder and depending on the conditions I might think about it. I’d want it top 12 or so protected. Bouchard’s a hard no from me.
I have Aa valed between 10th to 23rd. That being said I have Bouchard at like a 15th. Otherwise I mostly agree.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
Jones and Bouchard are off the table. If you want Nurse it will cost AA + something significant. The point of adding AA is to help this season and next while a draft pick likely won't. Jones and Bouchard are both close to helping the big club. What do you guys think of Ya

AA is going anywhere.... keep NURSE he still hasnt done much!! AA is part of the young core that isnt going anywhere for the WINGS.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
He's literally the only NHLer capable of making a skilled play at that speed. How often do you see guys dishing back and forth at top speed? It's a ridiculous idea. Give McDavid linemates with the sensibility to know where to be and they'll be fine.

Regardless, his line is the least of the Oilers' concerns considering he produces nesrly 60% of their offense. On his own, AA is barely a reliable 40 point player. Considering the exorbitant acquisition cost, he just isn't worth it.

AA is on pace for 30 goals not playing on the 1st line!! With his speed it would take a lot to pry him lose from the Wings!! AA will not be traded he is part of the young core rebuild!! only makes 3 mil as well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
AA is on pace for 30 goals not playing on the 1st line!! With his speed it would take a lot to pry him lose from the Wings!! AA will not be traded he is part of the young core rebuild!! only makes 3 mil as well.
Why do people keep saying this while responding to me? My whole point is that the Oilers should not have any interest in this player for this very reason.

The idea that the Oilers need to pay anything to assist Connor McDavid's line is absolutely ridiculous. The Oilers' problem all season has been the production away from his line. You'd think Friedman would have a handle on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
Dreger was on "The Instigators" today on WGR550, he stated that he specifically asked his Detroit sources about possibly moving AA. The answer was, not going to happen he is a part of the future here in Detroit. This thread is dead imo.

Exactly... AA, Larkin, Mantha, Hronek and Cholowski are the young rebuild the rest are fair game!!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Would be smart for Detroit to sell high on this guy. Career high of 33 points and close to 25 years old. Yawn.

Agreed. I like AA but the two arent even close in value. I mean Bouchard has been outproducing AA developmentaly as a defenceman.

In their draft year:
37 points in 63 games for AA vs 87 points in 67 games for Bouchard.

Year after draft:
67 points in 66 games for AA vs. 29 points in 22 games for Bouchard.

I like AA and happy hes starting to show something but c'mon.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Bouchard and their 2019 1st rd pick for AA would be a fair deal. Teams get a little antsy when they are in a playoff push and multiple teams would try to add a player like AA if he were made available.

AA is the kind of player that always keep you wanting for more. He'll make that highlight reel play with his speed, and then disappear for the rest of the game. He seems to lack the drive that is required to be a constant producer at the NHL level, which is a shame because when he cares he can be a difference maker and take over a game.

He is already 24 y old, and I'm not sure he'll reach the 25 goals mark, even if he is pacing like he will.

My prediction is he'll end up similar to Micheal Grabner... but he is not a beast on the PK like Grabner always has been and still is. I think I would pay a mid to late first round pick for a 24 y old Grabner, but not more.

Is Bouchard value a mid first round pick? Hard to say, but certainly around that.

Just my opinion.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
Somehow I knew you'd post something like this without accounting for the LTIR players. How much are Zetterberg and Franzen counting towards the cap right now?? Moving the goalposts to try to cling to your argument is pretty telling.

Red Wings have 18 million in cap space next season!!!

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
To get a gauge of AAs value to Wings fans. I feel a 1st + B prospect/3rd is enough but I am no expert on the Wings. One of the teams I watch the least.

Would you trade Zadina + 2019 1st (top5 protected) for AA?

Thats similar to the ask of Bouchard + 2019 1st from the Oilers end.

AA isnt going anywhere he is part of their youth core!! The point is mute!!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If Detroit wants to move on from AA it's going to be a 4 quarters for a dollar type deal. Sorry, this is how the NHL works.

Bear + (2)3rd's + Spooner

Detroit doesnt want to move AA that's the whole point. It is going to be something a lot more than the junk u offered for a young player we dont need to move.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
His foot speed isn't up to NHL standards yet, but that can be fixed. People said the same thing about Draisaitl. I think he turned out okay :)
There are some examples of players who change their form and become decent skaters (Draisaitl/Barkov/Tavares) but it's a big risk to take since I'd say that's the one skill that will get you into the league or get you out of it, depending on which side of the spectrum you fall on.
Bouchard has a lot of tools and is probably worth the risk but his skating is tied directly to how effect he ends up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad