Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You really going to use a Craig Button aritcle? Come on man youre better than that.

Yes, he is a prominent hockey reporter. I just read the article below which discussed his thoughts on Bouchard and they are near identical to mine!! He agrees with me.

View from Edmonton: Is Evan Bouchard 'not close' to NHL ready?

Don't be one of those guys who call certain prominant prognosticators idiots because you disagree with their opinion. Button is TSN's scouting subject matter expert. His opinion matters.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That article is also Craig Button :laugh:

Don't be one of those guys who call certain prominant prognosticators idiots because you disagree with their opinion. Button is TSN's scouting subject matter expert. His opinion matters.

And his opinion happens to be the same as mine. Pace of play, slow decision making.... these are things that take time.

No one is saying Bouchard sucks. He's just not NHL ready. And for the record, neither is Romanov or Dobson.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

And his opinion happens to be the same as mine. Pace of play, slow decision making.... these are things that take time.

No one is saying Bouchard sucks. He's just not NHL ready. And for the record, neither is Romanov or Dobson.

I didnt call him an idiot but he is one, its well known in the hockey community. His NHL GM legacy is the guy who bought out MSL :laugh: his prospect articles are all trash, since day one. Go back and read any of his Craigs - list's for a good laugh.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I didnt call him an idiot but he is one, its well known in the hockey community. His NHL GM legacy is the guy who bought out MSL :laugh: his prospect articles are all trash, since day one. Go back and read any of his Craigs - list's for a good laugh.

Ok, so you are one of those guys who trashes a subject matter expert when his opinion of your player is not in high esteem.

You have yet to refute the arguments i have presented on Bouchard. He is a good passer and has a great point shot. But his pace of play, decision making is slow as is his quickness / foot speed, particularly he first few steps. In the two venues where higher level of competition were encountered (WJHC and NHL) he was not up to par. He has a ways to go before becoming NHL ready. And as i said earlier, so do players like Romanov and Dobson and Sandin. They all are not NHL ready and shouldn't be rushed into the NHL.

A good model for player development is what the Flyers did with Phillipe Myers.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Ok, so you are one of those guys who trashes a subject matter expert when his opinion of your player is not in high esteem.

You have yet to refute the arguments i have presented on Bouchard. He is a good passer and has a great point shot. But his pace of play, decision making is slow as is his quickness / foot speed, particularly he first few steps. In the two venues where higher level of competition were encountered (WJHC and NHL) he was not up to par. He has a ways to go before becoming NHL ready. And as i said earlier, so do players like Romanov and Dobson and Sandin. They all are not NHL ready and shouldn't be rushed into the NHL.

A good model for player development is what the Flyers did with Phillipe Myers.

I dont feel like looking for articles but im sure you or other fans could find a bunch.
Im not saying he is ready for 25 mins a night in a top pairing role.

I expect him to play 13-14 mins in a sheltered bottom pairing role + PP time. For that he is ready, also making him NHL ready.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lol as if Button is the authority on prospects.

He puts all of his stock in international events, it’s actually lazy.

What is lazy is your lack of input to this debate. Clearly you have nothing to add other than you disagree and hate the source i provided of a subject matter expert who agrees with my assessment to a T.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What is lazy is your lack of input to this debate. Clearly you have nothing to add other than you disagree and hate the source i provided of a subject matter expert who agrees with my assessment to a T.

Don’t hate him and I contributed by saying he places all of his stock in international events. Nice try.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I dont feel like looking for articles but im sure you or other fans could find a bunch.
Im not saying he is ready for 25 mins a night in a top pairing role.

I expect him to play 13-14 mins in a sheltered bottom pairing role + PP time. For that he is ready, also making him NHL ready.

13-14 minutes is not good for a player's development. Any blue-chip junior d prospect can play 13-14 minutes in a sheltered role, while stunting development. Dmen need high-value minutes in critical situations to excel at their position. Sheltered minutes is the opposite of that.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

Which GM picked him up when he had to clear waivers for his buyout? That's right...none of them did. Guess he wasn't the only one that underestimated where they league would head and how smaller players would become more effective.

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
Button is a clown. There is a reason he was never rehired in ANY capacity to an NHL team. His draft rankings always have controversial picks, as does this latest piece of trash. It’s all about getting clicks for him.

Burke was just raving about Bouchard a couple days ago on TV or radio, I can’t remember which show.

He needs to improve his skating no doubt. I’d like to see him in the AHL for half the year at least, but he didn’t look out of place in limited minutes. A few brain farts for sure, but so did Jones et al.

He is miles better than some of the other trash on the Oilers blueline, sadly.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
I’m directing it generally at the Wings fans in this thread, not you specifically. Sorry for that. Some of the asks in this thread are cause for admission to a psych ward.

What I’m saying is don’t play the ‘on pace for’ game when some of the players being bandied about on here are also on pace for career highs, some of the numbers much more impressive than AA’s.
AA is going anywhere?? Wings are not trading their core young nucleus: Larkin, AA, Mantha, Cholowski or Hronek the other players maybe fair game!! Enough of posts of fleecing from other teams for nothing, this is getting funny. Real fans dont expect RNH or Drai either!!

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, he is a prominent hockey reporter. I just read the article below which discussed his thoughts on Bouchard and they are near identical to mine!! He agrees with me.

View from Edmonton: Is Evan Bouchard 'not close' to NHL ready?

You really want to go there? So if that’s the case Bob McKenzie, probably the most respected hockey insider/mind, had him rated at number 7 in his draft class just 6 months ago. Are you telling me a 19 year old defenseman has fallen that far in 6 months?

I wouldn’t believe everything you read

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Somehow I knew you'd post something like this without accounting for the LTIR players. How much are Zetterberg and Franzen counting towards the cap right now?? Moving the goalposts to try to cling to your argument is pretty telling.

I did mention the players on LTIR. You didn't read my post, or at not least all of it. Whatever. I don't see any point in kicking mud on the wings shoes. If you guys are happy with how things are and they are trending the way you like, cool.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:laugh: We're #26 in the league not dead last, We're only 4 points behind Edmonton right now. So i wouldn't be talking here. You guys just fired your GM and currently have no direction. As far as the cap we currently have around $3.141 million in cap space due to our LTIR's more cap space then Edmonton. With the salary cap reportedly being around $83 million this summer per Bettman and with Z and Mule on LTIR we should have between $24 to $26 million to spend this summer. Way more then enough to improve the team. We've no major signings this year. Next year we've Mantha, AA and Bertuzzi that we need to lock up. We're in great shape better then Edmonton that's for sure.

In all seriousness are those two guys never coming off of LTIR? I kind of get that vibe.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Couple things:

Craig Button is now a professional contrarian. He's the guy who puts up a draft list that is completely off the board, and then points at the one player he picks that outplays their draft position as proof of his genius.

Bob McKenzie is a great reporter and insider, but NHL scout he is not. His rankings don't carry much weight either.

Basically, when talking about young players, even professional scouts often get it very wrong, so using these prognostications as proof of anything doesn't really fly.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Couple things:

Craig Button is now a professional contrarian. He's the guy who puts up a draft list that is completely off the board, and then points at the one player he picks that outplays their draft position as proof of his genius.

Bob McKenzie is a great reporter and insider, but NHL scout he is not. His rankings don't carry much weight either.

Basically, when talking about young players, even professional scouts often get it very wrong, so using these prognostications as proof of anything doesn't really fly.
McKenzie doesn't post his opinion on the players. He goes and talks to a bunch of scouts and ranks based on that.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

We're sorry Mrs. Button, your son is wonderful.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyMike01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad