Friedman: Oilers Interested in Athanasiou to play with McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
31 Thoughts: What’s next for Oilers after Chiarelli firing - Sportsnet.ca

His 3rd point in 31 thoughts says that Edmonton is interested in Athanasiou. He isnt sure if Detroit is interested or not but it sounds like its something Edmonton will be exploring. AAs speed wit McDavid would be scary in 3 on 3 OT. Nicholson is talking about wanting to add speed and skill on HC at Noon as well.

Wondering what some people think could happen.

I dont think Detroit moves Athanasiou for another forward so it would be something around a dman. What would a trade around Athanasiou and Nurse look like? I could see maybe Ethan Bear/Caleb Jones + something possibly working for Detroit as well. But I'm not sure what the plus would be. Detroit would obviously push for Nurse. I doubt Detroit cares to take Pulujarrvi, at this point they would keep Athanasiou probably

I do think there are some pieces that could make a trade work between these teams

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
AA has done well with Detroit and there's no rush to move him unless an overpayment arises and EDM probably doesn't have have the expendable pieces for an overpayment.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'd hate to give up Caleb Jones, he looks like he could project to be our 2nd best dman in the future behind (hopefully) Bouchard. AA will also command atleast close to $5m on his next contract as well compared to trading away people on ELCs so we'd have to be sending back cap as well.

Reactions: HockeyGoon98

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah good luck, if Holland can get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Tatar, think about how he values Athanasiou? I get the sense that lately he is just trying to make trades that he can win since there have been a lot of questions about his job.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
McDavid would turn him into a 40 goal scorer
Mcdavid couldn't get Hall to score 40
Let's not make stupid statements like this.
Sometimes the chemistry is there between 2 players, sometimes it isn't
It's more than just pure speed you need to play with Mcdavid
Mcdavid does better with cerebral players who let him carry the puck like Drai and Maroon.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The first time in years we can be serious about Oiler threads since Chiarelli is gone.

But I'd say what gets AA is a 1st and B level prospect. But because the Oilers are in a non-playoff spot I'd say Talbot is what the Oilers would start with.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
AA-McDavid-Draisaitl ...

3 on 3 thats just unfair.

but yes Athanasiou may be one of the few that could stay within a stride of Connor on a Breakout. I have been harping on this for a few years now.

Burakovksy and Athanasiou are cheaper fixes that would instantly make the Oilers a much better team

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
The first time in years we can be serious about Oiler threads since Chiarelli is gone.

But I'd say what gets AA is a 1st and B level prospect. But because the Oilers are in a non-playoff spot I'd say Talbot is what the Oilers would start with.
Agreed.
If the 1st isn't in the deal, it isn't happening.
I don't think other teams put much value into bear and puljujarvi.

Reactions: TS Quint

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
don't see the oil having what it would take to get him unless they lose there next 10 then there first is a good start. hes a younger highly skilled forward that fits right into detroits rebuild.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
AA is an impact player. Detroit needs an impact or potential impact player back. I posted this yesterday in the AA to Nashville thread

Nope he has not. He is however tied with McDavid and Vanriemdsyk for 7th in the league in terms of Even Strength Goals scored per 60 over the past 3 years(Qualifier of 2000+ minutes played). Behind Matthews, Arvidsson, Skinner, Laine, Ovechkin, and Atkinson.

He has been one of the best even strength goal scorers the past 3 years years. Doesn’t matter how terrible of an offensive center he has, (see Glendening) he produces goals. 2nd round picks and B prospects are not going to cut it and Detroit has zero need to trade him.

Rumor was Detroit liked Bouchard quite a bit last year and I’m guessing he would be their asking price. I seriously doubt Edmonton meets that price, but Detroit is getting back a quality piece if they move AA.

I’d say Detroit would look for something around AA for Spooner and Bouchard.

Reactions: mjtm777

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Mcdavid does better with cerebral players who let him carry the puck like Drai and Maroon.

McDavid played 49 games in his rookie season with Taylor Hall, but he couldn't get Hall to score 40 goals in those 49 games.

Edison

Dec 1, 2017
Add kapanen from toronto too. AA-Mcdavid-Kaps that would be fastest first line in nhl history.

HockeyGoon98

Jan 19, 2019
To be fair Hall only played half a season with McDavid. I’m alnost certain one of them would’ve scored 40 goals.

Reactions: Oddbob and BHD

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Well, he was hurt half that season with Hall and has actually progressively gotten better each year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again, keep in mind Friedman likes to throw his speculation in with what he actually hears as news.

The ‘seems like a good fit with McDavid’ seems like his speculation.

At least we said ‘go f*** yourself’ to whatever team was crazy enough to ask about Bouchard.

Honestly asking about Burakovsky or AA doesnt scare me. The ‘talked about something bigger with chicago’ terrifies the living hell out of me. Considering how badly we got torched on the Manning deal I want absolutely nothing to do with anything the Hawks would be willing to move.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
If the Oilers could get both Athanasiou and Dzingel, M-A-D would probably be the fastest line in the NHL.

Reactions: gab6511
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad