Rumor: Oilers interested in AA

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rumors, beliefs and nothing confirmed.

I could write a crap article like that just taken from air. That Blashill-blaming is just wrong.

If Athanasiou is a trade bait, it's because we have to fix our unbalance on the young roster.

We need a proven defenceman. We have too much young forward kids coming.

So we would sell a proven forward, and replace him with with next wave kids.

That's the reason if there's a reason. A reasonable reason.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
6 bargain players who could provide value at NHL trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

Per TSN: 6 bargain players who could provide value at NHL trade deadline

So the players we’re looking for should ideally be:
1. on expiring contracts
2. on non-playoff teams
3. good players
4. not obvious names.

upload_2019-1-27_12-43-49.png

"
Finally,

Andreas
Athanasiou
Left Wing
Woodbridge, ON

gp
g
a
+/-
sog
s%

Full Profile
" data-toggle="tooltip" data-placement="auto" data-html="true" data-trigger="hover click focus">Andreas Athanasiou is rumoured to be on the block, which makes sense since the Red Wings have never really shown as much interest or trust in him as you would expect for such an exciting player, and his contract is a steal at $3M AAV for another year after this one.
Athanasiou leads the entire NHL in scoring chances off the rush per minute played, and he attacks with speed more often than Nathan MacKinnon or Connor McDavid. Surely that’s tantalizing enough to ignore any defensive issues."

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_12-44-10.png
    upload_2019-1-27_12-44-10.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 24

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
from the same Sportsnet article....Kevin Hayes is the guy I would target if we miss out on Duchene or Duchene is unreasonably priced ($8M+ long term)...He'll get his term either way. Kevin Hayes checks a lot of boxes and gives us a good Playmaking 2C, big, fast, youngish etc.

Among playmakers on expiring deals,

Kevin
Hayes
Centre
Dorchester, MA

gp
g
a
+/-
sog
s%

Injury: Upper Body

Full Profile
" Kevin Hayes is clearly the cream of the crop. He came into the NHL expected to score more goals than he has, which sometimes leads Rangers fans to get annoyed with him, but he’s among the NHL’s leaders in passes to the slot and passes off the rush, making him a premier playmaker both on the cycle and off entries.
Hayes can put the puck in the net too, and overall is a top-six forward in the amount of offence he generates at 5-vs-5, and I don’t think his perceived value around the league is as high as it should be."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting, never knew Hayes would be that good in passing. He is at Nyquist level at 1st assists. Not a faceoff master though, go quite 50/50.

I'm quite sure he goes to Winnipeg at the deadline. It's a perfect piece there, when they try to find another "Statsny".

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I could write a crap article like that just taken from air. That Blashill-blaming is just wrong.

If Athanasiou is a trade bait, it's because we have to fix our unbalance on the young roster.

I'm not opposed to trading AA in a package for a defenseman or anything, but what good forward prospects do we really have knocking on the door other than Veleno and Zadina? Maybe i'm forgetting someone but the forward prospects seem pretty barren as well IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not opposed to trading AA in a package for a defenseman or anything, but what good forward prospects do we really have knocking on the door other than Veleno and Zadina? Maybe i'm forgetting someone but the forward prospects seem pretty barren as well IMO.

Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov and 2019 1st pick.

AA is very probable bolt as UFA. That's why trade would work at the offseason.

Reactions: Larkin1578

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Svechnikov also but that’s about it for next year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Yes because this is the first we have ever heard of player relation issues with him? The fact he was sold to us as someone who had done so well with the young players and it not panning out is not just nothing. You could maybe sell that story if we had not heard this before but not now.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov and 2019 1st pick.

AA is very probable bolt as UFA. That's why trade would work at the offseason.
Zadina is no where ready for the NHL. 97.1 red wings show talked about it today. Veleno is still in the Q, And Svech is made of glass. We are a year away from Z if we are lucky, 2 for V, I think Svech is waver fodder at this point.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So you can get good assets for AA but he is lazy and cherry picks all day? Oh ok got you.

He definitely can be lazy and does cherry pick sometimes, but yes you can because he also has some talent where the positives outweigh the negatives. Its almost like not every player is perfect and you cana ctually criticise parts of their games. Gaudrea could be described as lazy at times and cherry picks at times, do you think a team would be willing to give up a decent asset for him?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He definitely can be lazy and does cherry pick sometimes, but yes you can because he also has some talent where the positives outweigh the negatives. Its almost like not every player is perfect and you cana ctually criticise parts of their games. Gaudrea could be described as lazy at times and cherry picks at times, do you think a team would be willing to give up a decent asset for him?
True and then you have to ask your self what is he worth? I'm not willing to let him go for some picks that might or might not be as good as he is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Zadina is no where ready for the NHL. 97.1 red wings show talked about it today. Veleno is still in the Q, And Svech is made of glass. We are a year away from Z if we are lucky, 2 for V, I think Svech is waver fodder at this point.
97.1 have less insight than some posters on here. And to your earlier comment, it amazes me the lengths you will go to to pass the buck on AA being a poor team player .

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So you can get good assets for AA but he is lazy and cherry picks all day? Oh ok got you.

It is fine that you like him, but reality is, right now, he is not a core player, on a competitive team. Right now, he is on pace for 50 Pts, which is not "core" on any NHL team. Add to the fact, that he is not consistent in effort, and isn't good in his own end, makes him the kind of player that gets traded a lot, especially given his fairly long track record of upsetting most of the coaches/gms/management he has ever played for.

He is a ton of fun to watch when he is playing hard, and I like him then, but he always leaves you wanting more, because you can see he isn't using his God given talents fully. If he had even anywhere near Larkin's work ethic, he would be a high end, maybe even elite player, but that is not him. All that is also fine, not everyone is going to compete as hard as Larkin, but that also leaves AA in the secondary support category of players, and as such, he will likely play for many different teams in his career.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
And that’s how a team ends up being **** like Edmonton.
Really? is it? By getting high picks never getting a good coach and system in place and cycle thew the good players they got and trading them away for shit.?You are right and yet here you are trying to do the same thing lol. And what comment did you not like the one about Z and V? Simon just done a interview and said everything you guys hate about AA is what he is doing, Does not use his team well, does not come back well, gets rid of the puck to soon, does not see the game well enough yet. He is not ready for the NHL. Those are the coach's words. V is tearing it up in the Q but hes still in the Q wont be yer next year either.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This isn't as complicated as some are making it out to be.

AA is an asset with some value, despite his warts. If said asset can return something of greater overall value, then trade him. If not, keep him and continue to deal with the mixed bag of good and bad.

It's not any different than anybody else on the team, at least from an asset management standpoint.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This isn't as complicated as some are making it out to be.

AA is an asset with some value, despite his warts. If said asset can return something of greater overall value, then trade him. If not, keep him and continue to deal with the mixed bag of good and bad.

It's not any different than anybody else on the team, at least from an asset management standpoint.
Thank you. If we can get something of equal or grater value that can replace what he offers then go for it. But you don't trade a young good player just because.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Thank you. If we can get something of equal or grater value that can replace what he offers then go for it. But you don't trade a young good player just because.

Why do you need to replace what he offers? I think the wings could use dmen or centers more than a winger

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It is fine that you like him, but reality is, right now, he is not a core player, on a competitive team. Right now, he is on pace for 50 Pts, which is not "core" on any NHL team. Add to the fact, that he is not consistent in effort, and isn't good in his own end, makes him the kind of player that gets traded a lot, especially given his fairly long track record of upsetting most of the coaches/gms/management he has ever played for.

He is a ton of fun to watch when he is playing hard, and I like him then, but he always leaves you wanting more, because you can see he isn't using his God given talents fully. If he had even anywhere near Larkin's work ethic, he would be a high end, maybe even elite player, but that is not him. All that is also fine, not everyone is going to compete as hard as Larkin, but that also leaves AA in the secondary support category of players, and as such, he will likely play for many different teams in his career.
How is that the reality when that's a scenario made up in your own head? How do you know his stats won't be elevated with better teammates?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Are you comparing AA to Gaudreau yet still painting him in a negative light? I don't get it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad