Rumor: Oilers interested in AA

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So what happens when he scores 35+ in Edmonton next to McDavid and Bouchard is Dekeyser 2.0? Is it still a good idea? Those are very real possibilities

Yes. Unless you think right now that Bouchard is garbage (I tend to think so... or at least not a guy with top pairing written on him). AA kinda is the player he is at this point. He'll score his goals and get breaks, but he's not going to be a defensive stalwart. Maybe he goes from simply deplorable to only bad on defense. If you have any faith that Bouchard is a guy who could play on a top pairing, trading a one dimensional winger for him is a fantastic deal. If he turns out to be DDK 2.0 (who isn't actually a bad defenseman when he's not playing over his head, see 2013-2015), that's a separate thing.

Just like the Weiss contract was a good idea at the time it was signed. 2C who scored 55-60 points at 4.9 a year. It turned out terribly because Weiss hurt himself and was out of the league in a year, but the reasoning for signing him and letting Fil walk was sound. You have to be able to separate the reasons for doing something and the results of doing something before hopping on good idea/bad idea.

I mean, conversely, what if Bouchard fulfills the expectations of those who wanted to draft him and becomes a bona-fide puck mover on the top pairing and AA stays the same one-dimensional winger who doesn't use his teammates? Wouldn't that seem like a miniscule price for such a piece?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->