Sportsnet: Oilers have made Anton Slepyshev available

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Value is fine but we don't need anymore left shots.

lol painfully true. But the Oilers also need help on that B-R-U-T-A-L penalty kill more than a right handed shot. I tell ya what, the Lightning could send J.T Brown (who is right handed) and I think it would work out well. The Lightning have grinders and penalty killers for days. They just need someone who MIGHT be able to accidentally score a goal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
lol painfully true. But the Oilers also need help on that B-R-U-T-A-L penalty kill more than a right handed shot. I tell ya what, the Lightning could send J.T Brown (who is right handed) and I think it would work out well. T

I don't think Edmonton will be dealing for any pending UFAs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't think Edmonton will be dealing for any pending UFAs.

Well it's as simple as trading for Paquette then. He's an RFA, cheap as hell, good defensively and will help the penalty kill. I only mentioned Brown because he's a right handed shot and still similar in value

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Slepyshev for Russo

Depth for depth. Edmonton is welcome to have David Booth for PK purposes of they'd like.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Fayne, Slepyshev and EDM's 4th

for

Beaulieu

Fayne will be loaned to the Oilers AHL team.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Slepyshev will be a decent 3rd line winger if given to a coach with patience and the ability to develop him properly.

McLellan does not like him and gives him zero leeway to make a mistake. He bounces in and out of the lineup like a yoyo. They should have sent him down to the AHL for more development before he became waiver eligible.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here's why I'm pissed at this: Edmonton waited until his waiver exemption was up to make this public availability email.

He's only like one or two games past his waiver exemption - if this 'notice' was sent out two weeks ago, maybe a team is willing to give up something a little better for him because they can stick him on the top line of their farm team for the rest of the year and see what they really have.

Nope. Better to wait until his waiver exemption is just barely up, THEN offer him around the league, to ensure the 6th round pick in 2021 offers are plentiful.

Dumb. It's just dumb asset management.

Only thing I'm hoping for is some GM got a look at him in last year's playoffs and that made an impression.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Meh if the dude can't make it in Edmonton, He can't be worth a whole lot.
sure.. I bet they are saying the same about Eberle, Pitlick, Pouliot, Petry etc. He is not worth a lot but he could still become a decent NHLer. The interesting\amusing part of this tweet is that Chia made him available using email spam.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Here's why I'm pissed at this: Edmonton waited until his waiver exemption was up to make this public availability email.

He's only like one or two games past his waiver exemption - if this 'notice' was sent out two weeks ago, maybe a team is willing to give up something a little better for him because they can stick him on the top line of their farm team for the rest of the year and see what they really have.

Nope. Better to wait until his waiver exemption is just barely up, THEN offer him around the league, to ensure the 6th round pick in 2021 offers are plentiful.

Dumb. It's just dumb asset management.

Only thing I'm hoping for is some GM got a look at him in last year's playoffs and that made an impression.
how do we know if it wasnt.... This is not the first time Slepy's name has come up in trade talks. Maybe Chia has been shopping him for months

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
how do we know if it wasnt.... This is not the first time Slepy's name has come up in trade talks. Maybe Chia has been shopping him for months

I dunno maybe I'm naive but if I were a GM and looking to trade a player, when I was hunting for offers I'd cast a wide net BEFORE his eligibility expired. Maybe Chia was trying to keep it quiet and nothing occurred.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
He's not a bust winger. He's an effective bottom six guy. Quick, physical and a great release on his shot. There's still a chance he turns into an effective 20-30 point guy, he just needs the opportunity in an organization that can give him one. In Edmonton, Kassian makes him redundant and he hasn't been consistent enough in the top six to merit the ice time.

I see Buffalo as a logical destination. The Rangers also.

He's never shown that offensive ability anywhere, not in the KHL, not in the AHL and certainly not in the NHL. He's more likely an AHL callup tweener on a good team. He'd probably get you a fourth or 5th round pick at best. He's just not that special.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's never shown that offensive ability anywhere, not in the KHL, not in the AHL and certainly not in the NHL. He's more likely an AHL callup tweener on a good team. He'd probably get you a fourth or 5th round pick at best. He's just not that special.
Considering what I described would be considered 'not that special'...

Slepyshev put up points at a decent pace at the AHL level and 10 points in half a season in the NHL last year where he was juggled in and out of the lineup is a pretty good example of what you can get from the guy if you give him the opportunity. I'm not sure why you'd have an issue with the 20-30 point cap. It's pretty modest. The guy's a bottom six forward.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
There ya go Yzerman.... we're in the market for a 3rd line winger and it looks like we've got one available for trade and likely very cheap. How's about Cedric Paquette for Slepyshev straight up sound to Oil fans?

MOAR RUSSKIYE!!!!
no ceddy

we wouldn't have a 4c then

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The guy name is Anton, guys, just think about it.

Carolina should make an offer (around 3 first round picks should suffice) and then sacrifice him on the altar for the Anton God. It would certainly make him happy and they could use that offering to convince him to come back to the NHL.

The prophecy would be then be fulfilled (meaning either the apocalypse or Stanley Cups for everyone).

We’ve all been waiting for this day.

The Anton is coming for your souls, be prepared.

antonbab.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad