Sportsnet: Oilers have made Anton Slepyshev available

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He's not a bust winger. He's an effective bottom six guy. Quick, physical and a great release on his shot. There's still a chance he turns into an effective 20-30 point guy, he just needs the opportunity in an organization that can give him one. In Edmonton, Kassian makes him redundant and he hasn't been consistent enough in the top six to merit the ice time.

I see Buffalo as a logical destination. The Rangers also.

The Rangers could definitely use him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Glad you said that. Not that it makes a bit of sense for Buffalo, but hey, stick to your guns.
Add a mid round pick going back to Buffalo and it isn't far off. Girgensons hasn't trended specifically well in your organization recently and guys like Josefson and Larsson make him somewhat redundant as a 4th line C moving forward. And I'm under the assumption that Buffalo is going to spend a big chunk of their cap addressing their goal production this summer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What's his value? Like a 3rd or something?

My suspicion is that Edmonton would be looking for a similar-aged forward in a similar situation that could also use a fresh start, rather than a draft pick. Buried by depth, maybe.

Josh Leivo, Frank Vatrano, Johnny Brodzinski - guys along that vein.

Something else interesting to watch: Edmonton has lots of short term cap space available. I could see them moving Slepyshev for an expensive pending UFA as a trial run to re-sign the player. It would free up the team moving said expensive pending UFA to make additional moves.

Hawks, Caps, Pens, Wild are all tight to the cap.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Oilers fans also said their team was a Cup Contender too so......
Not Oilers fans... media! see all the pre season rankings by major sports networks... what a bunch of clowns blinded by flash n dash of one playoffs series.

No one expected them to be a bottom feeder again but they were far from a cup contender.

Reactions: THall4 and Mez

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
It wasnt Oilers fans...The majority of the league was saying that. But I get it, you hate the Oilers.
Why, just travel back at bit on these forums. Oiler fans were just as blind as the media.

But, things are back to normal now.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't really understand why he's available. The Oilers need a good scoring winger prospect as much as any team in the league.
Slep isn't a good scoring winger though....that's why hes available. Some of us Oilers fans need to take the homer goggles off here...Slep scored 7 goals last year in 53 games (41 regular season + 12 playoff games). He shields the puck in the offensive zone...great..so does Khaira..but guess what..JJ does more than just that and for less money.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
In due time my friend. Players like them are TDL trades as contenders load up then.

What if the best offer on Maroon is a pick or prospect? I’d like to retain Slepy since his value is low and we already have questionable depth

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Add a mid round pick going back to Buffalo and it isn't far off. Girgensons hasn't trended specifically well in your organization recently and guys like Josefson and Larsson make him somewhat redundant as a 4th line C moving forward. And I'm under the assumption that Buffalo is going to spend a big chunk of their cap addressing their goal production this summer.

He isn't playing center and how he meshes with Eichel (and how much better Eichel's defensive numbers are when they play together) when on LW is far more interesting than dealing him for a part that just doesn't look like it fits.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He isn't playing center and how he meshes with Eichel (and how much better Eichel's defensive numbers are when they play together) when on LW is far more interesting than dealing him for a part that just doesn't look like it fits.
Oh, I've been watching him since they put him with Eichel. He's not useless. But I'm curious to see if they're showcasing him. You have to admit the Sabres are going to have to address their scoring woes at some point. Do you really see Zemgus lining up next to Eichel next season if he's still putting up sub-par offensive numbers?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh, I've been watching him since they put him with Eichel. He's not useless. But I'm curious to see if they're showcasing him. You have to admit the Sabres are going to have to address their scoring woes at some point. Do you really see Zemgus lining up next to Eichel next season if he's still putting up sub-par offensive numbers?

I can see Gus in the Hyman-style role as puck retrieval/board guy (Hecht to Briere for a Sabre comparable). The underlying numbers with the two of them together are intriguing and with the way Okposo has found his game on Eichel's right, a line feature Gus and Jack and Kyle could be effective, even if Housley continues to use it on harder matchups.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
They made RNH available forever too. Nothing will come of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad