Proposal: Oilers/Habs V 2.0 Nuge for Galchenyuk

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Mtl missed (again) on a 1c with RNH this summer and now its too late cause RNH's play has vastly improved.

Reactions: Stripper

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
From a total outside point of view, i think Edmonton passes. They know exactly what they have in Nuge....and it works, add to that that Nuge is actually having a really good season. Nobody knows what Galchenyuk is yet....not even the Habs it seems.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Habs could have had NH last year or the season prior to that when he was "struggling". Yet, no one wanted to even give a late 1st for a 1st overall bust lol. Edmonton should only trade NH for a premium return.
I don't think Nuge was really available last year, despite having a down year offensively, but if it makes you feel better you can think this.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Not wanna sound superior by any means but my advice is we must learn to apply the principle of buy-low sell high in life in general. Housing market, stock market, hockey market. Its not easy because emotions fight with reason but once you try it and succeed at it, rewards can be life-changing and doing it again becomes way less stressful. Retired at 48 thanks to doing exactly that and its not rocket science. A whole lot of nail biting before reaping any benefit. Thanks to Justin Trudeau for the latest opportunity with cannabis. This was by far the easiest move i made even if yeah there was some risk involved.

Try to go after players who have not done it and sell your guys that may not do it again. Never 100% safe.
In this case is MB confident that Alex will ever play along with Julien's style?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I don't think Nuge was really available last year, despite having a down year offensively, but if it makes you feel better you can think this.[/QUOTE]
Uncalled for. Its only what i believe. They would have listened a whole lot more. But ok you have inside info so i defer to your knowledge.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Then what exactly is Galchenyuk?
I read it as: with RNH their will be less volatility in his overall game. In Galchenyuk's case the extremes still look as possibilities: 40 goals or put back on the 4th line by a coach who might not like his guts a whole lot.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't think Nuge was really available last year, despite having a down year offensively, but if it makes you feel better you can think this.
Coaches love a player that's open to criticism, take the criticism and apply it to their game. TM told Nuge to bring back that creativity he once had and apply it to his game while still being 2 way. He told him he doesn't have to be the defensive fall guy automatically on his line and that he can/should trust his wingers to cover for him (which neither Hall nor Eberle ever did). IMO the Oilers should touch any of the 3 centers they have..esp with the cap increasing. Hes the Swiss army knife TM loves to have in his back pocket.

Reactions: TrentonF

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I don't like RNH but this is a no-brainer for the Habs. Oiler fans may not like Chucky but I could see him flourishing under a different microscope and with a better center.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Then what exactly is Galchenyuk?
A kid with big potential just needs too move. RNH is RNH. His recent career is more indicative then his start. Galchenyuk was a C his whole life then stuck at wing. With an actual C he is more likely to be a consistant scorer. RNH is your all around average 2C that most teams already have. Galchenyuk while not guaranteed CAN be a consistant 30g guy.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't like RNH but this is a no-brainer for the Habs. Oiler fans may not like Chucky but I could see him flourishing under a different microscope and with a better center.
The Oilers could have interest in Galchenyuk, but I don't think he fetches a player of Nuge's caliber at this point.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I read it as: with RNH their will be less volatility in his overall game. In Galchenyuk's case the extremes still look as possibilities: 40 goals or put back on the 4th line by a coach who might not like his guts a whole lot.
I feel for Galchenyuk a lot of the time. He and Yakupov, while in Sarnia, were just allowed to do their own thing...play outside the system because they produced...that doesn't happen in the NHL, even players like McDavid are expected to play within a system. Then he gets drafted by the Habs where's hes only been coached by defensive system heavy Therrien and now Julien. I think in a different situation where the coach allowed him to be creative would do him wonders..and Yak will likely be out of the NHL before his 23 birthday

I think he would do well in EDM...but not at the cost of RNH.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
could work well for both sides...

Habs would get the C they need, and the better all-around player.

Oilers would get the greater potential and possibly a fantastic fit on MCD's or Drai's wing (assuming Oil moved Drai back to C).

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
could work well for both sides...

Habs would get the C they need, and the better all-around player.

Oilers would get the greater potential and possibly a fantastic fit on MCD's or Drai's wing (assuming Oil moved Drai back to C).
These are the better ones. That crazy fear that the guy you trade improves elsewhere is so irrational. I sure hope you think the guy you get will improve too otherwise what,s the point if not for cap or off-ice stuff which do happen quite often.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Edmonton takes all the risk though. We know exactly what we have in RNH - even in a bad season like last year he's still a good 2C that can play as a 1C.

I'm also not sure how Galchenyuk is still looked at as having all this potential and upside. RNH isn't even a year older than Galchenyuk is.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Edmonton takes all the risk though. We know exactly what we have in RNH - even in a bad season like last year he's still a good 2C that can play as a 1C.

I'm also not sure how Galchenyuk is still looked at as having all this potential and upside. RNH isn't even a year older than Galchenyuk is.

Completely agree on the Oilers taking the risk and wouldn't blame them for brushing this proposal aside, quickly and assuredly. But the kid does have talent and skill galore. Unfortunately, we only get to see flashes of it with Montreal constantly misusing and shuffling him around.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I don't really care per se that he was or wasn't actually available. What I'm saying is that people refuse to take a leap of faith when they actually should. RNH is a clear example to that.

I'll phrase it differently so you don't mix my feelings into this: RNH could have been more available last year for the right offer than this year.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I don't really care per se that he was or wasn't actually available. What I'm saying is that people refuse to take a leap of faith when they actually should. RNH is a clear example to that.

I'll phrase it differently so you don't mix my feelings into this: RNH could have been more available last year for the right offer than this year.
Exactly what i have been trying to get through but he seems angry about something else. Missed opportunity thats all.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Players regress, it happens. Galchenyuk might never approach the 30 goal mark again. The talent is there, but something is missing

Then, this so much bad player is actually point leader of his team despite the fact he was used on 3th and 4th for 20 games and maybe more...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Then, this so much bad player is actually point leader of his team despite the fact he was used on 3th and 4th for 20 games and maybe more...
Look at it this way: what does it say for the first 2 lines? Many teams out there have a 23 pts scoring leader?
Sergachev has 27 pts and plays low minutes and is a d. Cmon now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Look at it this way: what does it say for the first 2 lines? Many teams out there have a 23 pts scoring leader?
Sergachev has 27 pts and plays low minutes and is a d. Cmon now.
I think he meant it in a way that... Galchenyuk should be able to hit 30 goals again if MB and CJ finally decide to remove his shackles and let him be.

Personally, I believe the players should focus on scoring first and try to be responsible defencively in second. Defence shouldn't even be their priority at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad